Fusion vs. Separate Brace

I know there's a ton of stuff on here about the Leatt stuff, but I can't find anything basically comparing it to itself, so here goes. I've never worn a neck brace but want to get one. I'm fairly sold on the Leatt, and don't think the price is completely horrible if it keeps my neck intact. So here's the question. It's cheaper for me to get the Fusion 3 than a separate 5.5 PRO HD CP and add a GPX 5.5, but would it be worth the extra $200 to have the option of not using the neck brace? I know I should always wear gear, and I tend to live by that, but I don't know that I always need a neck brace if I'm just out chasing my sisters on their little XR70's or something similar. Just curious if it would be nice to have them detachable. Plus I REALLY need a new chest protector, and I'm debating splitting the cost by just getting the CP now and a neck brace in a few months.

Also, does the 5.5 PRO HD give more protection as a chest protector than the Fusion? This would probably be my biggest concern, as that's what drew me to the Leatt in the first place.

Not that I'm particularly concerned about this, but would the Fusion theoretically have any impact on the "fear of broken collar bone" argument against the neck braces, over separate chest protector and brace?

If anyone has any insight here it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

I bought the Fusion for my 12 year old.  It's built into the protector and doesn't rest on the shoulders like the brace. I think the broken collar bone deal is a non issue. Thank goodness he hasn't gone down wearing it yet.   Really happy with the protection it gives, and would recommend it.  Fits like a glove, but did take a little getting used to. Now he can't tell he's even wearing it. I'm not a fan of the braces as a stand alone, but would consider buying the Fusion the next time i need a Chest protector. 

My understanding is that with the Leatt product the gpx braces actually snap in to the chest protector, anyone know if this is true? I bring it up just to argue that I think it still doesn't rest on the shoulders or anything.

I do agree that the broken collar bone thing is a non issue at this point, I was just curious if the people who originally thought that have rescinded their judgement yet ?

• 2 weeks later...

My understanding is that with the Leatt product the gpx braces actually snap in to the chest protector, anyone know if this is true? I bring it up just to argue that I think it still doesn't rest on the shoulders or anything.

I do agree that the broken collar bone thing is a non issue at this point, I was just curious if the people who originally thought that have rescinded their judgement yet ?

The brace is compatible with all the chest protectors form leatt with the "brace on" system. The neck brace and the chest protector don't actually click together, the Brace On system is basically two bungee cords that hold the neck brace down to the chest protector.

The brace is compatible with all the chest protectors form leatt with the "brace on" system. The neck brace and the chest protector don't actually click together, the Brace On system is basically two bungee cords that hold the neck brace down to the chest protector.

The Atlas is the same way.

The neck brace fits pretty snug even without the the straps, but I always use them anyways. It takes some getting use to when gearing up to ride. Sometimes need a buddy to help or look in the reflection on my truck window. Its solid... plus has side guards. Over all I feel safer with it on. It is heavy, restrictive and hot, but if max protection is what your going for its good. Would buy again.

For moto i think id rather have under shirt roost guard and an atlas brace. For woods I'd definitely go with the full protection of the leat set.

1440540102325.jpg

Thanks for all the info guys! So after all this, I think I'm planning on getting the 5.5 Pro HD chest protector, and I think I might really score and get a free neck brace from my uncle who recently upgraded to the fusion.

If you are going to spring for the 5.5, check out the TLD 5955....It is a very slick CP. I stay pretty cool in mine and rarely notice that it's on while riding.

As far as neck braces go....My son has the new Atlas and I have the old leatt. His is slick as snot in the arctic! It's really a nice brace. I like it a lot better than mine. As far as the new Leatts go, the 5.5 brace is nice, but heavy compared to the Atlas....but you won't notice.

My oldest boy (with the Atlas) automatically puts it on when he rides...I only bother when I race.

My #3 son has the fusion (2.0) it IS more protective than separates and is really cool (neat), but I'm not seeing the 3.0 as protective as separate pieces would be.

So...pluses and minuses...

The Leatt 5.5 Cp and the TLD 5955 both offer some degree of side protection, the Fusion doesn't offer much (if any).

You can buy either a new CP or brace, w/o buying the other.

You can ride w/o one or the other.

You can use the brace on different CPs for "whatever" (weather, track etc.) reason.

You can buy a different brand of either when ever you like.

The Fusion is cheaper than separate pieces....IF you need both at the same time, this is really good option.

So, that's what I got between the Fusion and buying separate pieces...I'm sure there's more, but I find these to be the most reasonable to consider.

• Like 1