148am

Get yourself a JIS screwdriver

If you don't have one, do yourself a favor and get a JIS screwdriver. I don't see that the TT Store sells one so I got this nice Hozan. After carefully fighting JIS screws with phillips drivers on my Subaru and DRZ for long enough ... classic case of "the right tool for the job".

• Like 6

The only Phillips screw my Drz has that I can even remember is the headlight shroud and rear master cylinder guard that rarely ever get removed... I've had 4 built Subaru STIs and a 1 wrx and never needed a special Phillips screw driver

I'm a bit confused..

Edited by Kx250FRiDeR651

It is truly staggering how much of a difference that makes. I bought an Ames (quit making them or went out of business) years ago and haven't stripped a screw since.

The only Phillips screw my Drz has that I can even remember is the headlight shroud and rear master cylinder guard that rarely ever get removed... I've had 4 built Subaru STIs and a 1 wrx and never needed a special Phillips screw driver

I'm a bit confused..

You don't *need* a JIS driver for a JIS screw. The difference is that under rotational load, a Phillips driver will tend to cam itself up and out of a JIS screw head. Do that enough times and the edges of the cross-slots on the screw will get rounded over and essentially strip out the head.

Your DRZ may have had some fasteners replaced, but there's things like the countershaft seal cover, Mikuni carb has a bunch of them, and others.

Get the tool and you'll see the difference, it's absolutely worth it.

Get the tool and you'll see the difference, it's absolutely worth it.

Or screw it (pun intended), if they don't see the value, let them keep stripping out screws.

• Like 1

I'm a bit confused..

You're absolutely right, your DRZ does not have a single phillips screw.. It does have many JIS screws,, JIS= Japanese Industrial standard, and many mistake them for the more common US Phillips screw head. 

Phillips vs JIS.jpg

screws_JIS_phillips_comparison1.jpg

• Like 6

Also worth noting, you can generally identify a JIS screw by a dimple on the head.

F5KIE3CFQSWZZ4L.MEDIUM.jpg

• Like 8

i was told this on the crf250l thread, and never bought one, but i found out after playing around with the controls and such, that it would have been nice to have one...  my dad (68 yrs old) is a lifelong mechanic (private and with the military)... i asked him about this 2 years ago, and he looked at me like i had 10 heads...  hahaha but i guess he was the one with 10 heads...  

on a side note, my tusk impact driver bits seem to fit the philips head on the drz better then my klein's do...  i don't know why... lol  and when i say fit better, i mean like they were machined together...  nice and tight, no wiggle, stays inserted, and have not stripped a single screw with the bits...  go figure...

on a side note, my tusk impact driver bits seem to fit the philips head on the drz better then my klein's do... i don't know why... lol and when i say fit better, i mean like they were machined together... nice and tight, no wiggle, stays inserted, and have not stripped a single screw with the bits... go figure...

It is possible that the tusk bits are reduced phillips (assuming that they are not jis). Reduced phillips fits very well in most jis screws and can sometimes be found where jis is not available.

• Like 3

I just recently bought a set of these his screwdrivers and it is amazing how much easier it is to remove screws especially the hard ones like the master cylinder screws and carb bowl screws well worth the 40-50 dollars I spent on them

on a side note, my tusk impact driver bits seem to fit the philips head on the drz better then my klein's do...  i don't know why... lol  and when i say fit better, i mean like they were machined together...  nice and tight, no wiggle, stays inserted, and have not stripped a single screw with the bits...  go figure...

Impact driver use is the "cheat" that works when using a non JIS bit in a JIS fastener head.. Its the camming action of the phillips bit in the JIS screw that damages them.. the hand impact driver is forcing the bit into the screw, so you negate that camming up and out action.. 

Impact driver use is the "cheat" that works when using a non JIS bit in a JIS fastener head.. Its the camming action of the phillips bit in the JIS screw that damages them.. the hand impact driver is forcing the bit into the screw, so you negate that camming up and out action.. 

in my defense, i use the impact driver as a screwdriver... i turn it with my hand...  but i totally understand what you are saying. and you are correct...  when we say "cheat", does mean acceptable, or kind of hackish??? i don't want to be a hack... hahaha    even though i was twisting, not banging...  sounds like my marriage also... :facepalm:

the only time i needed to actually hit it on the drz, was when i was trying to get off the damn chain guard on the swing arm... hahaha. i couldn't get a bit to seat correctly in the them damn screws, so as it just started to strip, i pulled out the tusk impact driver and the bits fit like a glove... after that, i used those bits whenever i could...  

Edited by eyeopenher

I too was anon believer about JIS screwdrivers, and always made do with phillips or pozi

I then got some JIS screwdrivers from ebay - What a difference

They fit so much better (unsurprisingly), and do not chew the heads

I always thought that OEM screws were made of plastercine given how easily they got damaged but I was wrong, turns out it was the wrong tool damaging them

Get the right tool for the job and never damage another screw head again

• Like 1

Or ditch the junk and use American tools !!!   :usa:  :lol:

Yes, that's an option. It would require hunting down every JIS screw size/length/head-shape on the bike and replacing it with a quality Philips head of the same angle/length. That alone will be fairly time consuming, likely burning an entire weekend of replacing screws. The front brake master cylinder cover comes to mind, as those screws are fairly small and made of orange peels or peanut butter by products. 

It's a lot easier to use the right tool, or carry a 4 1/2 lb impact driver with the wrong bits and still get the job done. I'd prefer to have a JIS in the toolkit. 

• Like 1

Well that complicates things a bit. All I know is a while ago I finally got a Vessel JIS (Megadora 900 +2x100) and it's the best thing ever.