Sign in to follow this  

Opinions on SS Spokes

I put a set of Moose SS spokes on the rear wheel back in Jan. Wednesday I was checking air pressure because the back felt loose, found 8 broken spokes.

I wonder if I had a couple work loose and the put more stress on the others and started them snapping, or if the SS ones are really not the way to go.

They were all broke at the hub.  The bike is KLX450 geared 12/53 and I ride very agressive throttle and braking and lots of log jumping.

Anyone have this experience with SS spokes?

No experience with Moose spokes, but I have used Tusk spokes, which are very similar. Never had any issues with them breaking... Over-tightening can cause them to break a lot easier. Were your's torqued to proper spec? 

• Like 1

No, I just tighten them till they had nice resistance to the spoke wrench. Probably 60in lb. or so if I had to guess.

I had a set of wheels built with moose spokes. The rear held up great, the front on the other hand broke 2 spokes before i got a mile from the house on the first ride. Granted the trails is super rocky, but i was a little disappointed. I think it was some sort of manufacturing issue because the rear is still holding up a few year later 

Did you install them and tighten them once? You need to check them regularly. The few wheels I've rebuilt needed tightening after just a few laps around the track. Loose spokes will break.

I used to check them every tire change, but I see now that is not good enough. 

6 years on my dna rims and never touched the spokes. I think I broke one spoke a few years ago and left it. Rims still held up fine??? Thought DNA were junk? They're so old the black is turning brown. Rims are dented. Spokes never touched and still fine though. Weird

What all do you check and how long does it take you?

Coolant, oil levels, spokes and tire pressure, clutch free play, brakes. It takes about 98 seconds to do everything, the air filter having been replaced with a clean one already so I dont check it.