2014 200xcw + 38mm carb = wow

So I have a 200xcw and a 2013 125sx. I was wanting to try a 36mm carb on the 125 to make it a little more trail friendly. The 38mm carb worked fine on the pipe but sucked pretty bad 0-1/4 throttle. So I swapped carbs between the two bikes.

The 36mm carb did what I thought on the 125. The off idle response was a lot better and made the motor a little lugable.

What really surprised my is what the 38mm did to the 200.

It really woke it up. Not just on top but even off idle.

I thought I had my jetting dialed in pretty good but now it's perfect.

With the 36mm carb I was running the JD red needle 4th clip position 170 main and a 40 pilot sea level 70 degrees.

With the 38mm same needle 4th position 182 main 42 pilot.

The motor feels snappier with more power everywhere with no downside.

I thought it would have hurt the off idle response and make it want bog, It didn't.

The motor on the 200 is stock with only a FMF Gnarly added.

I was wanting a little more power from my 200 and this did the trick. Next up a head mod.

• Like 1

better try a 39mm carb next I guess?

head mods are worth every penny in my opinion, if you find an 03/04 sx 200 pipe give that a go and while your at it see if your 125 ignition system will drop into that 200.

I never messed w a 2014 just an 06 but they do respond to little things in a big way motor wise

• Like 1

I have an 03 200sx with a 38mm from my 13 150sx on it. I'm running a 190 main with a 48 pilot, bike runs great, but getting more splooge than I like. Not sure what needle is in it at this point (NOHZ??). Either way, I'm afraid to go as lean as you are, but would like to eliminate the splooge.

Anyone have a baseline? The only KTM spec I have is for the 150 with a 38mm on it, or the original 200sx spec with a 39mm that peaceofwork now has.

Not trying to take over your thread ?

better try a 39mm carb next I guess?

head mods are worth every penny in my opinion, if you find an 03/04 sx 200 pipe give that a go and while your at it see if your 125 ignition system will drop into that 200.

I never messed w a 2014 just an 06 but they do respond to little things in a big way motor wise

You are liking the pipe?

• Like 1

I did the 36/39mm key hole mod to my 2014 200 and it was a massive improvement to the top end.  I had a 36mm lectron on before that and it destroyed the top end of the bike.  With the lectron, it lugged off the bottom nicely though.  The top speed difference between the lectron and the 36/39mm key hole was 119km/h top speed with the lectron and 138km/h with the 36/39mm Keihen.

• Like 1

poldies4 - yup that pipe is mighty fine, its a big change over the stock 06 pipe . that 39 mm carb compared to the 36 makes it wake up and the 40.5 mm pwk helps even more in the top end. a lot of things are a trade off as far as swaps go , I am about 205 now days without gear and I can say no really bad effects going 39 pwk and a sx pipe, the 40.5 I deafinatly lost lugability no question.

I really like jersey dewds DDK needle jd just don't do it for me

remember I run 125 ignition and a moded head  and my own little port and case cleanup and travis im looking for a report on that 150 power valve actuator side cover.

• Like 2

poldies4 - yup that pipe is mighty fine, its a big change over the stock 06 pipe . that 39 mm carb compared to the 36 makes it wake up and the 40.5 mm pwk helps even more in the top end. a lot of things are a trade off as far as swaps go , I am about 205 now days without gear and I can say no really bad effects going 39 pwk and a sx pipe, the 40.5 I deafinatly lost lugability no question.

I really like jersey dewds DDK needle jd just don't do it for me

remember I run 125 ignition and a moded head  and my own little port and case cleanup and travis im looking for a report on that 150 power valve actuator side cover.

DDK needle in a 38 mm carb works sweet down low to mid

• 2 years later...
  • 6 years later...
9 hours ago, Zach need bike advise said:

Do u have any recommendations on what carb to get like best bang for your buck

I would go with a 38mm Keihin Air Stryker.