Sign in to follow this  

Florida Bought a used bike in Florida. Should I get it titled in my name?

I bought a used '05 KLX from a guy in New Port Richey. He said he bought it from his buddy (the original owner) but never got the title in his name because he didn't get around to going to the DMV. He sold it to me for a fair price and I checked the VIN, it was not reported stolen or anything weird, no liens. He also gave me all the service records with the bike all the back to when it had it's first oil change.

He gave me the bill of sale from his buddy to him and a bill of sale from him to me. He also gave me the original title (originally issued 12//2004) but at the bottom the Transfer of Title by Seller area is signed over from the original owner to the guy I bought it from. When I bought it I was advised (from my friend) that I would never need to title it in my name because it's offroad and not to worry...so I bought it. But I recently read some stories of people who can't get a OHV sticker to ride trails like Croom without a title in their name or whatever so I'm not sure if I made a mistake here.

What should I do? Not sure what the process is to get the title in my name or if it's even worth it. Could really use some advise, thanks!

Get the guy you bought it from to sign a notorized Power of Attorney for that vehicle.  Then you can sign for him if you go to the DMV. Trouble is, based on my experience, you'll have to pay sales tax three times . Once for the original buyer, once for the last guy and again for your purchase.

But if you get the PA, you'll have it if for future use, even if you don't use it now.

RB

Croom does not require title to be in your name, but other areas require the green sticker.  If it has a valid green sticker, then you should be good.  Why not get the title in your own name though? 

They checked my title at Croom, I don't remember if they checked to see if it was my name on the title.. The original owner paid sales tax at purchase time, maybe the easiest way is for him to apply for a lost title, then when he gets the new paper sign it over to you directly, take the middle guy out completely since as far as the state is concerned he never legally owned it. You will have to pay sales tax on your purchase.

Yes, get the bike titled in your name ASAP (registation of ownership).............. If you go to croom take the title with you when you get the sticker.............. after you leave croom clean your air filter   👍

Croom does not require title to be in your name, but other areas require the green sticker.  If it has a valid green sticker, then you should be good.  Why not get the title in your own name though? 

Did FTR ever mark (arrowed) any of the trails at croom?

Go down to the tag office give them the paperwork you have and explain how you bought it.............they will staighten things out..........(happens alot)........best thing though .....(you might get the "evil" eye from them).....but you'll get it in your name.

Its better than having no paper work and then having a title search done ............$............(time).........

What if I can't get in contact with the original owner? Any other way to do this?

Cross that road when you get to it. The original owner will probably be happy to get it out of his name.