Mountain Bikers, check in here

I have proposed to the owners of T/T that they consider creating a forum for mountain bikes.

If you would have any interest in a mountain bike forum. then here is your chance to speak up.

This is only a proposed idea and nothing is certain, but looking for support to see if there is enough member interest.

While you are posting your support, also post suggestions on what you would like to see on mtn bikes.

A couple of my ideas are places to ride, upcoming races, popular accessories, bike comments, pictures, tuning tips and more.

I think that mountain biking is popular enough to be a specialized forum here at T/T.....

• Like 2

I'd go bicycle forum in general. But for some reason people of every stripe find new and exciting ways not to get along.

I built two bamboo fat bikes. I ride my Carver O'beast just about every day I'm not riding the other bikes. I have a GT for a grocery getter. And a Motobecane Ti 29er for a change of pace.

I'd go bicycle forum in general. But for some reason people of every stripe find new and exciting ways not to get along.

I built two bamboo fat bikes. I ride my Carver O'beast just about every day I'm not riding the other bikes. I have a GT for a grocery getter. And a Motobecane Ti 29er for a change of pace.

Pics of the bamboo bikes please!

I ride my mountain bike a few days a week, just to ensure I am still alive. I ride fields and woods. With little elevation change (not much in the way of 'mountains' in central VA). I just plod along as you'd expect from a fat old guy, 10 to 15 mph. When I had dogs, (Irish Setters) it was the one way I could keep up with them and give them a decent run.

I ride a six year old Aluminum framed Gary Fisher with disk brakes (because they work 100X better than caliper brakes when wet) with a suspended front (saves my wrists from shock) and hard tail rear. More bike than I need. I do have a speedometer to push myself and prevent dawdling and a headlight for the winter afternoon rides. No spandex or fancy shoes. Grungy off white sweatband on the head, gloves on the hands.

I pick up a lot of thorns and get one flat a week. Fortunately, they are slow and I do not realize I have a flat until the next ride.

I suspect there are a lot of guys like me, not hardcore but casual riders that can always use a tip or place to unload about a 'epic' occurrence.

• Like 2

I ride my mountain bike a few days a week, just to ensure I am still alive. I ride fields and woods. With little elevation change (not much in the way of 'mountains' in central VA). I just plod along as you'd expect from a fat old guy, 10 to 15 mph. When I had dogs, (Irish Setters) it was the one way I could keep up with them and give them a decent run.

I ride a six year old Aluminum framed Gary Fisher with disk brakes (because they work 100X better than caliper brakes when wet) with a suspended front (saves my wrists from shock) and hard tail rear. More bike than I need. I do have a speedometer to push myself and prevent dawdling and a headlight for the winter afternoon rides. No spandex or fancy shoes. Grungy off white sweatband on the head, gloves on the hands.

I pick up a lot of thorns and get one flat a week. Fortunately, they are slow and I do not realize I have a flat until the next ride.

I suspect there are a lot of guys like me, not hardcore but casual riders that can always use a tip or place to unload about a 'epic' occurrence.

One of the things I liked about the Netherlands was that the mountain bike trails were made my Dutch drainage wizards. No matter how much rain fell. You could ride a few hours later and have to dodge maybe one puddle. Next time that puddle would be gone. Being the Netherlands. The biggest hill that you had to climb is an overpass.

Here is a chunk of the trail that I rode most days for the two years that I lived there. The trail doubled while I was there and there are plans for 60km or more. It was a little over 9km when I got there. The bike is a Ti Carver O'Beast fat bike.

Edited by shagger
  • Like 1

I picked up an SE Bikes hardtail a few years ago when I found it super cheap on clearance.  I never had a change to ride it until late last year when a buddy took me to the local mtn bike trails which was my first time off-road.  I started this year with a plan to ride once a week after work, but we've had a crazy amount or rain this year so the trails are always too wet so I've only gone a few times.  I'm not a hardcore rider by any means, but I'd probably check into a dedicated forum every now and then.

IMG_0072_zpspzwaqjlz.jpg

Current ride is a 09 diamondback sortie with a few minor changes such as a nicer brake system and a bash guard in place of the 3rd ring up front (lots of logs around here). It's not the fanciest bike but it gets the job done. Used to have a carbon hardtail with SID air forks and a good amount of XTR components but it got stolen when our garage was broken into a couple years back.ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1440174401.251626.jpg

• Like 1

Here's my main ride. It takes me about a half an hour to get from that lawn sculpture down there, about where I live, to this location. From here you can hit some trail like stuff. Some of it pretty cool single track or BMX type stuff. I ride it just about every day just for grins. On the way there and back I bounce off the loop around Longchamp, a large horse racing facility. There is a loop around that facility for the skinny tire go fast guys. Every one of those guys that I pass with my fat bike becomes a move motivated individual. ? My Bamboo rig actually hauls significant ass around that loop. The photo of my bamboo bike was taken on that loop on the fence around Longchamp. You can see LA Defence in the background.

O Beast Paris.jpg

Edited by shagger