Trying to figure out oil change intervals

The manual says every 6 races...but Im not a racer....however..I do ride mostly motox tracks.

So arent most races 2 or 3 motos? Can we assume then that 1 race would = 1.5 hours?

I usually ride 2+ hours at a time...so would changeing my oil after every 3 rides = what Kawi reccomends?

That seems like alot of oil changes...considering Im running full synthetic sicoline?

What do the rest of you folks do?

Thanks for the input!

?

I would guess that at your average local race you wouldn't put more than an hours riding time in. Possibly 1.5 hours if you run the same bike in two classes. I change ours after each day my son rides it. I use a metal filter and clean it about every other time it gets ridden.

Mark

ThumperKXF I borrowed this from another post.

I talked to out mechainc and a tech at team green today. He said that you dont want to run a FULLY SYNTHETIC oil in your tranny, semi syn will work, but with a fully syn it will cause your plates to start slipping because of how thin the oil is.

Personally, I don't use fully synthetic oil either based on my dealers advice.

As for duration before changes it really also depends on how hard you ride and mostly the conditions you ride in. (high temps are the worst, dust, water etc). Any adverse conditions are going to degrade your oil faster than "normal" conditions. Oil is cheap compared to engine work. I go on the shoter side of duration for comfort but really pay attention to how hard it is ridden, not just hours ridden. ?:D

I change mine after every 2 days of riding.. A typical day at the MX track consists of 4 or 5 15 minute sessions give or take a few minutes and a few sessions.

Worse case, I change it after 3 hours of actual track time, but usually it closer to 2 hours..

I just run normal dino 10w-40 oil.

You can never change ur oil TOO often. Ur better to run clean semi synthetic, than overused fully synthetic. Fully synthetic is about double the price of semi, so u can afford to change with semi more often. Ive found semi-synthtetic to be better, and dont go more than 3hrs on the motominder without changing it. and do the filter every second oil change. Works for me! ?

I work on cars for a living and I've always heard that you won't hurt anything by changing the oil too much. I use the same advice on my new 250f. The most important thing to due is use a regular interval. I use every 2 races and the filter everyother oil change. I'd rather change it too often then blow a motor while racing and get a DNF!!!

Just a question for who ever said not to run full synthetic in their bikes...well, if thats true, then why does it recommend Castrol R4 Superbike (which is what I use) in the manual. It is fully synthetic but pricey. I think if your dealer told you not to run full synthetic, kick him in the chin and tell him to read the owners manual again. just a thought. ?:D :D

I run the R4 superbike, and change it, and the filter (stock filters) after every GNCC, which they are 3 hr long woods races. Just ridding time varies depending on the condtions and where i am ridding at. Then again we own a bike shop so I can afford to change this stuff often.

Using the R4 Superbike here, bought by the case on-line. Much cheaper that way. Changing every 3 rides, filter on 6. Each ride for me is probably just over an hour on the track. No problems so far, knock on wood.

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

I change the oil every 3 hours and the filter every other oil change. I've been running good old fashioned Valvoline 10-30w in my bikes for ever (well except 1 year that the RM125 (I want to say it was my 1991 model) had a notchie trans, I ran the Motul street bike synthetic in that puppy).

Since the RMZ/KXF has a great trans good old engine oil works fine. Anyway, do yourself a favor and save the money you could spend on all that fancy oil and buy some other toys for your scoot.

What is 10W40 Valvoline Dino ? I cant seem to find it on Valvoline's website....

I have been paying about $9 a quart and would love to find something else that works for less $$$$...

Thanks!!

There isnt an oil specifically called Valvoline "dino" oil...He means that its non-synthetic...it's a conventional non-synthetic automobile oil, which as long as it does not say "energy conserving" on the back, its perfectly fine to use. Man, you definately need to find a cheaper alternative, 9 bucks a quart!???? :D...now your talking oil changes that are as expensive as your car...Yea man, the valvoline is probably $1.50 per quart..maybe you could find it a little cheaper..I personally have used.....

-Yamalube

-Amsoil

-Castrol GTX

-Shell Rotella T

-Shell Rotella T synthetic (my current oil)

Out of all of them, i would say the Yamalube shifted the worst. The amsoil shifted good, but if felt just like the Castrol, and the Rotella's...I use the Rotella Synthetic now, i can get it at walmart for 13 bucks a gallon. Good luck with w/e oil you choose. ?

I picked up some Valvoline 4 stroke motorcyle oil for $2.99 a quart and it meets or exceeds all the API/JASO specs that the expensive synthetic Silkolene stuff does. So I think that will be my oil of choice.

From what I have read...normal car oil doesnt hold up to the temps that our KXF's put out. Are you all telling me that some of you run good ole automobile oil with no problems??

Thanks for all the help!

Yep, I've been running normal 10w-40 automobile oil, changing it every 2 rides. No problems. If I was going to try to go longer before changing the oil, then I would consider some of the other alternatives.

Although the oil temp of the KXF may be slightly higher than your 'average' car, the difference is so much as to make normal oil obsolete. Although tempature can play a factor in oil longevity, it is the additive packages used to remove/suspend contaminates that play an even bigger role in determining oil life.