Just a reminder check frame welds periodically.

It can happen on any bike.  But on our 15 practice bike, we found a cracked weld after a fun day of pounding laps.  Yamaha acknowledges it happens and is standing by the bike and sending a new frame.   Just posting this to remind people to take a good look at their frames.   When you ride a good, solid bike it's easy to overlook things.   

Be safe.

Michael

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I just checked my FX, and it's good. It's actually what I do for a living. The welding wasn't terrible, but it also wasn't incredible. Some areas could have been tied together better, and I think the problem this is stemming from is penetration.

I weld as well, my FZ1 bothered me, but I got over it.

I wish they still used steel frames, or aluminum tubing. It seems like this formed stuff is crappy to weld, and looks bulky.

They should look at mountain bike frames, then learn how to weld.

Edited by muthathumpa
  • Like 1

My FX has 28 hrs on it. Just gave it a once over. The welds don't look great, but no cracks.

Just curious. But on these bikes wirh cracks, was the steering stem bearing preload adjusted/torqued properly?

I know of 3 more people with cracked frames, 2 250's and 1 450's all 16's

Yep, this definitely seems to be more than just a remote problem which has been exacerbated on the internet. Seems to be way to many instances of this happening for it not to be a big problem.