Top 5 Michigan Trails?

Michigan

The Grand Traverse trail is getting pretty whooped out, rumors of a groom in the future. Recent rain has made it rideable, but not as nice as it was in June and July. 

I just did grand traverse on Sunday it was very whooped out with lots of trees down place needs some serious maintenance

Rode the MCCCT trail from 20rd south towards M-55.  Started at 20rd and headed south for 12 miles turned around and ran back.  Some of the best single track I've ridden this year, what I rode was in the hardwoods and the surface was quite solid, minimal sand and whoops.  Very technical in spots and tree roots are abundant in sections.  One section through a thinned red pine grove is a real challenge, stumps right on the trail and raspberry canes cover in same area.  Heading south that section was a b**ch up hill run!  Return trip north was not so bad.

I have been riding the North Missaukee trails out of N 13mile parking lot all summer... The conditions have been real nice. 

You have options:

1) Ride the MCCT/ATV trails east towards Higgins Lake and hook up with that trail system and then use the ORV/Snowmobile trail to take and easy ride back to the parking area.

2) Ride the MCCT/ATV trails west as far as you want and again use the ORV/Snowmobile trail back...

We will be there tomorrow, a little later, looks like a bit of rain is going to fall, so gonna be a bit slick and fun out there.

I'm going to have to say that the Tomahawk trails near Wolverine, MI are the best single tracks around. I've rode a few other areas in Michigan and they don't compare. Barely any whoops, almost never see anyone else and there is a decent amount of elevation changes. I actually talked to a couple guys at Enduro Engineering and told them that I ride the Tomahawk usually and they said, "Don't go anywhere else, you'll be disappointed."

Tomahawk trails are great. Evart is a close second.

Baldwin Little "o" trail 1st only 15-20 minutes from tin cup single track being second.

Edited by Kaw_rider

I'm going to have to say that the Tomahawk trails near Wolverine, MI are the best single tracks around. I've rode a few other areas in Michigan and they don't compare. Barely any whoops, almost never see anyone else and there is a decent amount of elevation changes. I actually talked to a couple guys at Enduro Engineering and told them that I ride the Tomahawk usually and they said, "Don't go anywhere else, you'll be disappointed."

What size bike did you take? Is it a 450 trail or a tight 125 kind of trail?

What size bike did you take? Is it a 450 trail or a tight 125 kind of trail?

it's an all around good trail for any size bike! It might be easier on a 125 but almost any bike will get job done.

Kalkaska has nice trails! Seems FOUR WHEELERS have DESTROYED a lot of the trail systems here in Mi. THEY (QUADS) should have to PUT 2 ORV STICKERS ON THEM instead of us MOTORCYCLE riders! Use to be called the PERE MARQUETTE CYCLE TRAIL! Now the nice SINGLE path MOTORCYCLE trails have expanded because of them %ussies whining and crying the trails weren't WIDE enough! The conservation trail should have been MOTORCYLE ONLY over the years so them #ussies couldn't DESTROY them!

Wolverine has two wheel only trails, and lots of two tracks and CCC cross-country trails. I'm just getting back into Trail riding on a bike, but the jeep trails are awesome. The single track used to be awesome there in the early 1990's, I'll do an update after the ice and snow is gone.

GreyMan

CRF-230

Tomahawk trails are great. Evart is a close second.

noted,,,

thanks guys...

Quite some time ago, I said I'd do an update about the Wolverine trails. The Tomahawk club is doing an excellent job of keeping the single track systems viable.

Some of the loops I rode were damaged in the beginnings and ends by quads,  (even tough they are posted "two wheel vehicles only".  I even rode one fairly new section, that I believe they put in to replace a loop that had been destroyed by quads and logging.  The loggers are about as bad to destroy single track as the quads are. I wish I could still ride the Tomahawk trial tour,  but father time is kinda heavy.

Over all, I'd guess these are the best single track left in Michigan,  and the two tracks are awesome too. Can't wait to get back up there.

Come out and ride with the Bent Wheels and the CCC at the fall color tour in Rose City47fe1f4ab41f5cdf7df10410858f2d35.jpg