Sign in to follow this  

Husaberg FE450 (currently) KTM 300 XC-W (contemplating)

All,

I am currently on a 2009 Husaberg FE450 and am considering a switch to a KTM 300 XC-W.  My reason for the switch is the lure of less weight.  While I love my 450, it works me pretty hard in the tight technical stuff...  I posted this same question in the Husqvarna section (TE300)  but haven't received any feed back.  Have any of you made the leap from a 450 4-stroke to a 300 2-stroke?

Who has made the switch?  Pros?  Cons?  Regrets?  Expectations?

Thanks

I had a wr450 in 08 and didnt get another bike til this year. A 14 250sx. I can tell you right now a 2 stroke wont seem easier to ride in the tight technical stuff, but its a blast and will help you be a better rider. I didnt have a bike for 6 years, but i absolutely love the 2 stroke. It keeps you on your toes and its hard not to have fun on it. The light weight helps, but you can in no way be lazy on it. Id get the 300 kit for it, but i love the over rev power. Hope this helps

I switched from riding an XR440 for years to a new 300xcw. I'm just an intermediate trail rider, no racing. It's not quite as high strung as a 250. You can ride it lazily if you want. I put a Rekluse in mine and it's a great go anywhere bike. I think it says a lot that a ton of riders ride a 300 in the outdoor races like Erzberg.

I've really been enjoying mine. A far cry from the heavy pig of my XR. I was able to get a ride on 2 different 300s my friends rode, that helped my decision. No regrets.

• Like 1

I went from a '13 500-EXC to a '15 300-EXC & don't regret the decision at all. There is a drop in engine braking but the excellent brakes make up for it. I sold the 500 to a mate & we swapped bikes over yesterday & I found the 500 to be heavy, unresponsive & didn't turn as well as the 300. The 300 is light, snappy, turns well & handles like a mountain bike in comparison. Funny, I used to think the 500 was a great bike before.

Edited by SID013

All,

I am currently on a 2009 Husaberg FE450 and am considering a switch to a KTM 300 XC-W.  My reason for the switch is the lure of less weight.  While I love my 450, it works me pretty hard in the tight technical stuff...  I posted this same question in the Husqvarna section (TE300)  but haven't received any feed back.  Have any of you made the leap from a 450 4-stroke to a 300 2-stroke?

Thanks

If I'm riding tight techincal trail then out comes the KX250 two stroke. Everywhere else (except pure street) I'll take the Husky TE449 of mine (four stroke dual sport made in Italy of int'l components). 

I'm a long time 300 rider, and last November I got an 09 FE 450 Husapig because it had a plate. I'd ridden before (bought it from a buddy) but never became one with it because (to me) it was to darned heavy. The 450 power (no substitute for 450 power) was sure fun, but I sold it and got a Beta 300. My guess is that you will like the 300 once you get past the learning curve from going from a 450 4t to a 300 2t.

Was glad to have tried the FE, but no regrets on having sold it.

I have a 2013 450 xc-w and I now have a 15 te300. The raw power of a 450 is awesome but the light weight and the snap that the 300 has is unbeatable. The other great this is you can lug to just about a stand still with out stalling where the 450 will flame and stall. Plus the 300 is very tunable for little money

the raw power of a 450 is awesome but the light weight and the snap that the 300 has is unbeatable. The other great this is you can lug to just about a stand still with out stalling where the 450 will flame and stall. Plus the 300 is very tunable for little money

This is the bottom line.

Well said.

All,

Thanks

I made basically a similar switch, with a stop in between... 2010 FE450 -> 2005 YZ250 -> 2014 KTM250xc.  I say go for it.  The Berg is overweight and just carries it's weight odd.  I didn't like PDS, but if you're a fan then you'll feel at home on the xc-w.