2000 Honda CR250R Compression Test

Went to test my compression on my CR250 the other day. Let it idle for a couple of minutes. Rode it up and down the block and couple of times. Tossed her on the stand. Took off the tank and plugged my compression tester in. Held it wide open and kicked it a couple of times. It wouldn't go past 150 lbs. Would you say its safe to ride? Whats a good compression reading for a CR250?

11948297_10154212404607907_1176392120_n.jpg

Kick it hard 5 to 8 times and you will get the full compression reading. My 2000 with a new piston on a stock head/jug turned 210 before being ridden. After 100+ hours it was turning 218. Clean filters and proper maintenance make a difference!

If your using any extensions besides the the main hose I've found you'll get lower results with it attached.

Also as far as times kicked to get a reading, kick it till the guage stops moving.

I'll try removing the attachment if I can. Not sure if the gauge kit will let me. That's what I was doing before, kicking till it wouldn't go no further. It wouldn't get past 150 psi. Just to clarify.. You have to do the compression test when the motor is warm and have idled for about 3 minutes right?

I'll try removing the attachment if I can. Not sure if the gauge kit will let me. That's what I was doing before, kicking till it wouldn't go no further. It wouldn't get past 150 psi. Just to clarify.. You have to do the compression test when the motor is warm and have idled for about 3 minutes right?

That's how I've always done it, I'll warm it up and ride around the block then go and comp test it.

Someone can probably better answer that question as to why it's that way. I think it's due to piston types cast vs forged.