Sign in to follow this  

Best oil to run in TTR's

I personally recommend canola oil. Just kidding. Yeah 20w 50 semi synthetic is what I use. It doesn't really matter to much. Just don't buy from the Yamaha dealer, it's way over priced from them.

Oh god, not another oil thread.

PS - I prefer Wesson to Canola oil... I think it smells better.

Just got three Yamaha's (1) TTR125 (1) TTR 80 and a PW50. Looking for recommendations on the best oil to run. Yamalube 20w50?

motul is really good oil

Your will be pissing away a percentage of the scant HP these little motors produce by running 20-50 via pumping losses. I suggest you reconsider that choice and instead run what the factory recommends which is 20-40 for >40F and 10-30 for <60F. I run 10-30 exclusively year round. You can feel the difference in output from 20-50 to 10-30.

Bwhahahaha

Parasitic HP loss from oil pumping is a well established engineering fact and the reason all modern vehicles are designed around lighter viscosity oil compared to those used a generation ago. The losses apparent in most motors can rise to 10%+ of total HP.

I know empirically that you can feel the difference on the TTR125 and wrote about such near the end of the motor development work done on my granddaughters flattrack bike. On the TTR125 that HP loss is close to a 1 HP in a developed motor. Run any brand of oil you want but 20-50wt will cost you more than just money.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1136632-ttr125-flow-numbers-to-share/ 

Parasitic HP loss from oil pumping is a well established engineering fact and the reason all modern vehicles are designed around lighter viscosity oil compared to those used a generation ago. The losses apparent in most motors can rise to 10%+ of total HP.

I know empirically that you can feel the difference on the TTR125 and wrote about such near the end of the motor development work done on my granddaughters flattrack bike. On the TTR125 that HP loss is close to a 1 HP in a developed motor. Run any brand of oil you want but 20-50wt will cost you more than just money.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/1136632-ttr125-flow-numbers-to-share/

I doubt a 4yr old can feel that horsepower loss... Lol Edited by Monk

I doubt a 4yr old can feel that horsepower loss... Lol

Then why bother to check tire pressures, lube the chain, clean the air filter, replace the spark plug, etc. I mean a 4 year old is ignorant of life so hey...let's all be ignorant too. Our children deserve that. Har Har.

Then why bother to check tire pressures, lube the chain, clean the air filter, replace the spark plug, etc. I mean a 4 year old is ignorant of life so hey...let's all be ignorant too. Our children deserve that. Har Har.

Na, your argument over HP loss is a moot point. Can you guess why? I'll give you hint..."we are not Pros".

You and I will never use the full potential of ANY motorcycle we ever throw a leg over, someone will always go faster on the exact same machine. But if it makes you feel better telling people you didnt get the holeshot or clear that table top because of your oil, then more power to you. Life is full of woulda/coulda/shoulda people so you'll fit right in...

pcnsd, I will give you credit for the data and engineering you put in. I do not have that kind of mind or the patience to learn. What I understand is that because dirtbiking is 90% rider and 10% bike its never going to make a difference overall if you sink time and money into a bike, but don't do anything for yourself... Talking is just talking, I'm a subscriber to doing. Seat time is the only true measure of anything and it's proven the more you put in, the more you get out...

It's a TTR... Anything that comes out of the ground and runs through a refinery will be fine for it, those things are bullet proof.

Na, your argument over HP loss is a moot point. Can you guess why? I'll give you hint..."we are not Pros".

You and I will never use the full potential of ANY motorcycle we ever throw a leg over, someone will always go faster on the exact same machine. But if it makes you feel better telling people you didnt get the holeshot or clear that table top because of your oil, then more power to you. Life is full of woulda/coulda/shoulda people so you'll fit right in...

Monk,

I am not sure how racing is done in Canada, but here in the states races are broken up into groups based on age, displacement, and skill level at minimum. The top finishers of those groups are universally on equipment refined for them by someone. They race against those of similar skill on similar equipment. If you don't think that equipment makes a difference whether HP, suspension, tires or just general personalized setup, you or the person you sponsor will be passed. The racing equation is the totality of skill and equipment and racers regardless of level should not leave anything on the table. 

Parasitic HP loss from oil pumping is a well established engineering fact... [blah blah blah]

If I can blindly change the oil in your daughters bike, and you can hop on and tell me what weight oil I'm using... I'll buy the first round of beers.

• Like 1

Monk,

I am not sure how racing is done in Canada, but here in the states races are broken up into groups based on age, displacement, and skill level at minimum. The top finishers of those groups are universally on equipment refined for them by someone. They race against those of similar skill on similar equipment. If you don't think that equipment makes a difference whether HP, suspension, tires or just general personalized setup, you or the person you sponsor will be passed. The racing equation is the totality of skill and equipment and racers regardless of level should not leave anything on the table.

Like I said, whatever helps you sleep better at night... Lol