2016 KX450F stock suspension valving

Here is what I found in the 2016 Kx450f forks and shock!

BV:

36.15 (14)

35.15 (5)

34.15 (4)

32.15 (3)

30.15 (2)

25.35 (7)

MvC:

26.20 (5)

26.10 (3)

Collar-2.30

17.20 (2)

MvR:

19.30 (4)

SC:

44.20 (9)

30.30 (2)

SR:

40.20 (3)

• Like 1

I am a little confused, on mine the collar recess in the MV piston was approx 1mm,with your 2.3mm collar and 5x0.2 and 3x 0.1 thick shims that's 1.3mm total thickness MV shims which would give zero float.

Are you sure those MV shims were 0.2 and not 0.15s??? All of the 2015 tac mid's ran 0.15s, 0.2s would be mega stiff???

I also doubt that they use .2 flexshims on the MV.

having .15  shims instead of the .2 gives 0,25 float calculated, which makes sense too.

Edited by Vietze

Anyone doing anything to their shock valving wise at home? Got the 2016 and only have about 4 hours on it. Im only home about a week at a time every six months or so to ride it. It felt OK. But the shock didn't seem very good on the braking bumps. The forks felt amazing on the ground but off of landings it seems pretty harsh. I wasn't sure if it was bottoming out or just locking up before then. Are there any small changes I can make when I get home in January that would give me a decent baseline?

Turn the high speed compression out to 2 turns and low speed out about 5 clicks shock will feel better.mine soaks up braking bumps. Google mxa settings 2016 kx450f. There settings help. As for the fork valving alone wont get rid of the mid stroke harshness on an air fork. Need to mod the air side. I have the mx tech tac-r system with skf glide kit and a revalve om dampening side. Couldnt be happier. Feels like a really great spring fork now.

Edited by CrobarGreg
  • Like 1

I have been looking into the glide kit. Not sure if I will pull the trigger on the tac-r system but it is on my radar. The glide kit will probably happen. Is the harshness at the bottom of the stroke oil level, valving, characteristics of the Air spring, or a combination of the three?

As for the shock I am thinking that taking a faceshim or two off the HSC stack might also help with the kicking that I experienced of the braking bumps? Or maybe a smaller crossover so I could keep the bottoming resistance. Any advice on this?

What settings are you running on the shock the mxa settings work very well.

2 1/4 out on high speed compression

15 clicks out low speed.

11 clicks out rebound.

105 mm race sag. I run a little less thats.preferencw.

No problems with braking bumps.

Also the air spring is the problem. In order to soak up all the chop you need to run lower pressure settings like mxa's vet settings. But then you will bottom easier. A lot of guys just add 30cc of oil to dampening leg of fork. To stop the bottoming. Air is hyperprogressive unlike a spring. When its new it needs to be broken in so it will feel stiffer than it should at 1st and may require lower air settings at 1st.

Right now it is all as it came from the factory. Except for the Air pressures that I adjusted to my weight as per the manual. I won't be home until December so I have some time to think on it. I will probably have a glide kit waiting at home for me to put in it. And maybe some home tuners will get something going for the valving in the fork and shock by then also. I will create a post in the suspension forum and see what I can come up with.

The factory clicker settings are way too harsh and the air settings in the manual are off. Watch the mxa 2016 kx450f dialed in video on you tube try these settings you will see a big difference. Just from settings alone. This is the 1st shock i have decided not to revalve its that good. I just had the fork done. The skf glide kit is great helps with stiction and helps get it moving on the small stuff.

Factory air pressures and clickers are way off - they were extremely harsh for me.  The team green settings are much better, but I still haven't found a good balance between plushness and bottoming resistance.

I'll be trying my hand at a revalve pretty soon.  If anyone can share stacks they've had luck with I would appreciate it!

I found a good setting. I traded my air forks for a set of spring forks off an 09!
I don't really like or have the time to mess with my air settings at the races while prepping my 8 year olds SX 50. I raced more motos forgetting to set pressures on my bike than doing so. I had the same issue though. Trading plushness for bottoming or not bottoming for a beating in the chop even after FC did the re-valve etc. Now I'm back to what I know.

Cool story bro. Tell it again so I can make sure I didn't miss any of it.

I have been looking into the glide kit. Not sure if I will pull the trigger on the tac-r system but it is on my radar. The glide kit will probably happen. Is the harshness at the bottom of the stroke oil level, valving, characteristics of the Air spring, or a combination of the three?

As for the shock I am thinking that taking a faceshim or two off the HSC stack might also help with the kicking that I experienced of the braking bumps? Or maybe a smaller crossover so I could keep the bottoming resistance. Any advice on this?

The glide kit is worth the investment! It really allows the fork to stay more connected to the ground and gives it a more progressive feel.

I'm on a EVO suspension set up and this is the best suspension setup I've ever ridden. I do have the SFF Air fork and I wound not trade it for a spring fork, with what I have there is no reason to. EVO was even able to make Destry Abbot happy, and yes he runs the glide kit in his forks.

Edited by Jim813

Cool story bro. Tell it again so I can make sure I didn't miss any of it.

Are you referring to my posted reply?

Are you referring to my posted reply?

FC revalves are usually pretty tough. Sending something out to a box shop where joe blow reads a sheet and says "Oh, b level, 1xx pounds, Ok they get this stack!". Work with somebody local. Decent B rider, 180 pounds, mx, my only complaint was the shock sucking.  Got it revalved stiffer so it didnt squat so much under a load, and problem solved.  Forks are 169/7/169, and then played with comp/reb.Forks are good. Bike feels as good as my 13 yz250 smoker which is bar none one of the best feeling bikes out there.

Come across way to many guys who are dis pleased with FC stuff, not to mention the outrageous price tag that comes with it.

Edited by dmm698

I dont like the way the shock acts in the rollers with the recomended.mxa clicker settings but other than that its good for me but im a 170 lb c rider. Im st 175/7/190 on pressure settings. But its a tach r so i have a high pressure piston above the main pressure of 175. Im sure those settings would work on stock also. But would be a little harsh in the mid