Rekluse EXP 3.0 First 5 Hour Impressions

Finally got one of these for the tight sigletrack of Utah and Idaho. 

Installation was easy. Basket has minor wear for a bike with 200+ hours. I am planning on doing the bottom end this winter and installing the Rekluse basket with longer fingers. 

Free play gain adjustment was not necessary after installing to Rekluse specs the FPG was within spec. 

First ride the bike had allot of 'clutch shatter' in first and second gears, esp. in areas of high traction; however the clutch still performed very well. No stalling and excellent hookup due to increased traction. 

My main love of this clutch is that it eliminates the need to clutch wheelie over trees in tight spots. Just crack the throttle in whatever gear and the bike seems to want to wheelie like a pro, love it! Second thing is I have noticed is lots more focus on riding technique and line choosing because I am not really thinking about clutch to power balance ect. 

Second ride I installed Honda's OEM 'judder spring' and oversized 1st friction disc recommended by Rekluse to eliminate the clutch shatter. Seems to have worked perfectly with no shatter or scary noises coming from the bike. 

Compared to my old Z-start pro this thing is the real deal. Full over-ride, stock lever feel and outstanding performance accompanied by excellent and friendly technical support. I am keeping this thing in for the foreseeable future. 

My only complaint is that there is no way to grab the pressure plate and hold it while torquing down the 5mm spring bolts to 9 ft/lbs. If anyone has a trick that doesn't involve a strap wrench let me know! 

IMG_20150915_124423.jpg

Edited by macklikesbikes

I'm not sure how you got the stock clutch feel, because that just cannot happen with a rekluse. As far as holding the basket, put it in gear and let the motor hold it.

I have had 2 Core Exp's. First was a 2.0 in a KTM 300 XC and currently a 3.0 in my '09 450X including Rekluse basket and frictions. The clutch feels almost 100% stock. "If" you didnt have tons of seat time on a 450X you would not know mine has a Rekluse installed. Well at least until you tried bump starting it or it starts overrunning on a decent.

I am curious in what way yours feels different from stock?

Just by the very nature for which the rekluse works it's almost impossible to get the stock feel. I've had the revlock and the rekluse on my bike. The rekluse feels more stockish than the revlock, but there is still a differance. With that being said there are 2 ktm 500's, 1 ktm 350, a wr250, and 3 crf450r's that I ride with on a regular basis all of them with rekluses (core 3.0 and exp versions), none of them feel like they have a stock clutch pull...

My only complaint is that there is no way to grab the pressure plate and hold it while torquing down the 5mm spring bolts to 9 ft/lbs. If anyone has a trick that doesn't involve a strap wrench let me know! 

After ruining a basket with one of these:

Clutch-Holder-1.jpg

I use one of these. I consider it a must have tool if you run Rekluse clutches.

61u4tNCE22L._SX522_.jpg

KTMs have hydraulic clutch. Could be the difference. My CORE 3.0 feels close to stock in my KX250F. You didn't say which version is in which of the 7 bikes you regularly ride.

reread my post, some bikes have the core 3.0, some just have the exp...in my bike I have the core 3.0

reread my post, some bikes have the core 3.0, some just have the exp...in my bike I have the core 3.0

First time you mention that your bike has the 3.0 is right here. And you still don't say which of the 7 bikes you ride regularly has the CORE 3.0. If you think you are confused, try reading your own posts!?

The reason this is relevant is that most of us who own the Core EXP 3.0 and know what a clutch feels like believe the clutch feel is similar on non-KTM motorcycles. So I want to make sure we're all talking about the same thing. The only difference in clutch pull feel with a Core EXP 3.0 is due to clutch spring tension, not due to the EXP plate. If you run strong clutch springs (like most KX250F owners do), the feel is identical.

Edited by LSHD

First time you mention that your bike has the 3.0 is right here. And you still don't say which of the 7 bikes you ride regularly has the CORE 3.0. If you think you are confused, try reading your own posts!?

The reason this is relevant is that most of us who own the Core EXP 3.0 and know what a clutch feels like believe the clutch feel is similar on non-KTM motorcycles. So I want to make sure we're all talking about the same thing. The only difference in clutch pull feel with a Core EXP 3.0 is due to clutch spring tension, not due to the EXP plate. If you run strong clutch springs (like most KX250F owners do), the feel is identical.

So what you are saying is that you clearly missed the part in my previous post where I very clearly pointed of the fact off all the bikes I mentioned have a mix of core 3.0's and exp's. the pressure plate has to have some stand off in order to gain the necessary gap, in either the exp or core version. Now with that stand off you are going get a different clutch feel because you are basically putting preload on the clutch springs themselves...

So what you are saying is that you clearly missed the part in my previous post where I very clearly pointed of the fact off all the bikes I mentioned have a mix of core 3.0's and exp's. the pressure plate has to have some stand off in order to gain the necessary gap, in either the exp or core version. Now with that stand off you are going get a different clutch feel because you are basically putting preload on the clutch springs themselves...

I no longer care. ?

• Like 3

Unfortunately I also have a motion pro basket holder, but I wrap the damn thing in a old t shirt to prevent mauling. 

I am not sure how this EBC tool works, looks like you would have to take the pressure plate off before sliding it over the clutch hub, or is it larger

than the hub and slides over the plate? 

Anyways still loving my clutch, has made me a much faster rider for longer. Easily crushed a 50 mile singetrack ride last week no fatigue! 

Unfortunately I also have a motion pro basket holder, but I wrap the damn thing in a old t shirt to prevent mauling. 

I am not sure how this EBC tool works, looks like you would have to take the pressure plate off before sliding it over the clutch hub, or is it larger

than the hub and slides over the plate? 

Anyways still loving my clutch, has made me a much faster rider for longer. Easily crushed a 50 mile singetrack ride last week no fatigue! 

You are right! Sorry about that. I forget how I held mine. Might have just held it by hand best I could. Just can't remember.

Mack, can you provide more info about Honda's OEM 'judder spring' and oversized 1st friction disc recommended by Rekluse? 

I've got about 15 hours on my Core Exp. 3.0 and the squeal and shudder are bad in first and second.  I reached out to Rekluse 9 months ago, and its only recommendation was to try different transmission oil. 

I'm very interested in your using your solution.  Where did you get this advice exactly, and what are part numbers?

Thank you.

Mack, can you provide more info about Honda's OEM 'judder spring' and oversized 1st friction disc recommended by Rekluse? 

I've got about 15 hours on my Core Exp. 3.0 and the squeal and shudder are bad in first and second.  I reached out to Rekluse 9 months ago, and its only recommendation was to try different transmission oil. 

I'm very interested in your using your solution.  Where did you get this advice exactly, and what are part numbers?

Thank you.

Here ya go brada:

SEAT, JUDDER SPRING (Honda Code 6373120)

Part # 131179007539

Part # 131179007539

DISK, CLUTCH FRICTION (Honda Code 6373138)

Part # 131179008701

So what we have above is a larger inner diameter (from the hub) friction pad, a slightly bent 'judder spring' that resembles a washer and a flat washer, both with an inner diameter akin to that of the clutch hub. 

You will remove the pressure plate and entire clutch pack. In place of the first friciton pad (1st in last out) slide in the new larger inner diameter friction pad. Next place the curved washer (bowl shape out, so raised outside edge towards pressure plate) then place the flat washer over it.

Reinstall the pack minus the 1st friction pad you replaced w. said 3 part assembly and toque it up. 

Thats it. Call Rekluse if you have any questions cuz Im off to pack the truck, Crested Butte trip all next week, whistles go WOO WOOO! 

I've got about 15 hours on my Core Exp. 3.0 and the squeal and shudder are bad in first and second. I reached out to Rekluse 9 months ago, and its only recommendation was to try different transmission oil.

I'm very interested in your using your solution. Where did you get this advice exactly, and what are part numbers?

Thank you.

Interesting. Rekluse must have high staff turn over or something? I had the same problem 2 years ago when I installed my Core EXP 3.0. One phone call to Rekluse and they recommended their basket with new rubber snubbers. I removed the OEM basket and found all the rubber snubbers to be badly cracked (and interestingly different from the Rekluse rubbers). The noise and vibration was gone 100% and is good to this day. I've always run Rotella T too.

• 4 months later...

[Here ya go brada:

Part # 131179007539

Part # 131179007539

Part # 131179008701]

The first two part numbers listed above are identical. Is this correct? I am looking at installing these parts in my x but I thought there were three different parts involved.

• 2 weeks later...

[Here ya go brada:

Part # 131179007539

Part # 131179007539

Part # 131179008701]

The first two part numbers listed above are identical. Is this correct? I am looking at installing these parts in my x but I thought there were three different parts involved.

Apparently my copy and paste skills are poor, sorry! Here are the correct part #'s! 

Part # 131179008701

Part # 131179007539

SPRING, JUDDER

Part # 131179014471