Updating an 09 to hang with FI 450F

I have an 09 that basically all stock. Only performance mod is full exhaust from an 07. I just had the suspension freshened up.

My question is, what can I do to make my 09 hang with the newer yzf's? I don't have the coin to go buy a 2016, no matter how bad I want one. Are there any tips or tricks to make the 09 a competitor with the new bikes.

I know that the pilot is the biggest factor, but let's say that the rider is the same fellow. 

I love my 09, but I've never ridden anything newer that my 09. I have toyed with selling it and buying a 2011-2012 but would it be worth it? Are the FI bikes just worlds better? 

Looking for some info and thoughts.

Thanks

Matt

I think the newer bikes are better for mx. I dont think the 09 gives up anything off road. The 10-13 is a good bike but difficult to set up. Newer bikes are always nice but working on your riding amd seat time is going to make way more of a difference than 1 generation newer bike.

• Like 1

I failed to mention, I have an oversized rotor on the bike. My apologies. I just tossed on a step seat that I got for free. I'm a taller guy 6'2" about 185 and am just learning to ride mx. I like the step seat so far.

I know I'm definitely holding the bike back. Not the other way around. But I hear that the newer bikes are so much better, I figured I'd ask for myself.

I've never had a bad day riding my 09. I really enjoy it. I suppose having never ridden a FI bike, I don't have any basis to judge how the 09 stacks up. Hence the thread. So far, I'm not missing out on too terribly much.

Thanks and keep the replies coming.

Matt

Edited by Matt C.

If you just started riding MX then having a FI bike will not make you any faster.  There are plenty of guys out there that can smoke dudes on a 450 with a 250.  Remember Eli Tomac when he was on a 250?  He could consistently lay down faster lap times than the guys on the big bikes.   FI is nice, very easy to tune, and very responsive, but more power is not going to make you any faster unless you know what to do with it.  

As for the 09 being much different, there really isn't much.  Yeah the motor is completely different, but the suspension and everything else that matters is basically the same as the 2010 and on bikes, 

• Like 1

I used a CDI box from an 04 yesterday at my local mx track.  I loved it. Much better low end. I'm a chronic short shifter so the bump in low and mid power was welcome. 

I really like my bike. It does all I ask of it and has been bulletproof so far. I have read tons and tons of threads about the new FI bikes and how great they are. Maybe their joy comes from having a new bike, or having it tailored to their style, or maybe its because the new bike are just that much better. That was the point of this thread; to find out if it was rider input, individualizing the bike, or if the bike really are better than my 6 year old mule.

I have talked to my better half and have been giving the ok to 1) update my bike over the next few months or 2) sell the 09 and get a newer bike. From what you guys have said, it looks like Ill be updating the 09 with a set of wheels (Tusk from RMATV), a set of tank shroud graphics (current are peeling), and probably a set of levers.

Thanks for the replies. All are greatly appreciated.

Matt

Edited by Matt C.

I used a CDI box from an 04 yesterday at my local mx track.  I loved it. Much better low end. I'm a chronic short shifter so the bump in low and mid power was welcome. 

I really like my bike. It does all I ask of it and has been bulletproof so far. I have read tons and tons of threads about the new FI bikes and how great they are. Maybe their joy comes from having a new bike, or having it tailored to their style, or maybe its because the new bike are just that much better. That was the point of this thread; to find out if it was rider input, individualizing the bike, or if the bike really are better than my 6 year old mule.

I have talked to my better half and have been giving the ok to 1) update my bike over the next few months or 2) sell the 09 and get a newer bike. From what you guys have said, it looks like Ill be updating the 09 with a set of wheels (Tusk from RMATV), a set of tank shroud graphics (current are peeling), and probably a set of levers.

Thanks for the replies. All are greatly appreciated.

Matt

Why change the wheels?

They are heavier than stock, and you will notice the weight right away.

The anodizing is just about gone and the tusk wheels are a good deal for the money. I need to find something else to clean them with next time. I could have them recoated but I'd have to strip them down and send them off. Nowhere close does a good job.

Feel free to suggest other options. I can't afford $600+ per wheel.

I thought the point of this thread was to see what would update the bike to make it faster, not just look faster.  

The anodizing is just about gone and the tusk wheels are a good deal for the money. I need to find something else to clean them with next time. I could have them recoated but I'd have to strip them down and send them off. Nowhere close does a good job.

Feel free to suggest other options. I can't afford $600+ per wheel.

Yeah, but.....

The Tusk wheels are 1.5lbs heavier......EACH....

The point of this thread was to see if the newer bikes are better all around. Is it worth selling my paid for 09 to have a monthly payment. Is a newer designed bike a better option for me, the beginner, than playing trial and error with bars, seats, controls, and pegs?

I don't need my bike to be faster. It's got more than enough power. I am the limiting factor on my bike.

I didn't know the wheels were 1.5lbs heavier. I looked around for weight specs last night and didn't find much.

I did read about a site called fasterusa.com that sells aftermarket wheel sets.

Edited by Matt C.

Let's start with where do you ride most? Tight single track woods trails, wide open faster sweeping trails, sand pits, dunes, racing?, enduro, mx track?

Then rider age and skill?  under 30? C, B, A, AA?

Rider weight and height?

Rider experience?

Answer these questions and we can help you better.

90%. Mx. A little trail riding.

I'm 27 and have been riding on the weekends for about 10 months.

I'm 6'2" about 175

I rode street bikes for 8 years. But really just started riding dirt in the last year. Only reason I bought a bike was to ride with my younger brother. He's in his teenage years so I'm lame and he quit riding. I started riding mx instead of trails and like it a lot.

I don't find my bike uncomfortable but I have no reference with other bikes. I've ridden a few friends bikes but the bikes were different. Not just the setup.

I have the factory bars in the forward set of holes and lined up parallel with the forks. I put a sdg step seat on a few weeks ago. It has helped with getting me up closer to the tank. Pegs are stock as are controls.

Just had a reputable suspension guy service and set up the bike about 6 weeks ago. Sag is 95mm per TT research.

Thanks

Matt

Edited by Matt C.