she wants a ttr 125 le BUT....

so my girlfriend wants a ttr 125le ... she currently has a ttr 225 but it's just too heavy and she's not comfortable on it and won't ride it much. The thing is, it's much easier to find a used non-electric start 125L for sale than a 'LE' model. Can you add the electric start to a 'L' or would it be cost-prohibitive? :) I'd like to keep her riding, but if I can't find her something light that she doesn't have to kick-start, I'm afraid she'll just give it up. :D

thanks,

Rick

'04 KTM 450 exc

If you need the e start, I'm pretty sure it's make much more sense to buy one of those rather than the kickstart + work/parts. Dunno how much exactly, but you can probably figure it out by checking out a microfiche of both bikes and comparing the two, and adding up the cost of additional parts. www.partsfish.com

thanks for the link .... hmm, looks like more than I thought. It appears the 'L' doesn't even have a battery, which I think would mean charging system, etc.

Too bad, I'd found a BBR'd 'L' for sale locally :)

thanks again,

Rick

Take her to look at the L. They start really easy as long as they are jetted right. My wife's fires first kick when warm, takes no more than 5 kicks cold, and even starts easy after she dumps it (if she dumps it on the right side, twist full throttle and hold it while you kick). If you let her check that bike out, and start it a few times, she will like it.

The extra confidence she gains from having a low seat height and a light bike will make her very happy. It's amazing how much my wife is enjoying this little thumper!

You said it's BBR'ed out, I hope that means it has the frame cradle and chain guide... Important pieces!

so my girlfriend wants a ttr 125le ... she currently has a ttr 225 but it's just too heavy and she's not comfortable on it and won't ride it much. The thing is, it's much easier to find a used non-electric start 125L for sale than a 'LE' model. Can you add the electric start to a 'L' or would it be cost-prohibitive? :) I'd like to keep her riding, but if I can't find her something light that she doesn't have to kick-start, I'm afraid she'll just give it up. :D

thanks,

Rick

'04 KTM 450 exc

Went through exactly the same scenerio with my wife. 225 was too tall and heavy, but she loved the e-start. I traded it for a DR-Z125 and she wasn't thrilled at having to kick. I richened up the low-end jetting a tad to make it as easy as possible to start (it needed it anyway) and she was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was. She's MUCH more comfortable on the smaller bike.

thanks for the replies, guys...

by "BBR'd" I mean :

BBR full exhaust system , swingarm , chain block ,triple clamp with full size bars , frame cradle , front springs ,

and high flow air filter ... it also has a 150cc kit .

I'll have to talk to her about a kick-start ... she's seen our friend's kid kick his ttr-125L until blue in the face, and then his dad kick it for several more minutes before getting it started. Maybe that thing needs a little jetting work tho :)

(it's not the one for sale)

thx again,

Rick

With the stock jetting, they are impossibly lean on the idle circuit, making them difficult to start cold and take forever to warm up. Takes about $4.00 and fifteen minutes to change the Pilot Jet to a 17.5, and problem solved.

What is the price on the bbr'd one? The swingarm is 399$, the bbr 150 kit with cam is 430$, the exhaust is like 300$, the triple clamp with bars is like 260$, the chain guard is 70$, the frame cradle is 140$, the front springs are 70$, the airfilter kit is like 70$. :) 1340$ :D in bbr parts. I would say he is asking.. :D .2600$?

:) pretty close ... $2800

That sounds like a pretty good deal...What year?

it's a 2001

g/f doesn't seem too impressed with the "no electric start" :)

funny, I'll have to "SEARCH" for the post but about a month and a 1/2 ago somebody was SELLING their TTR125LE because he just broke up with his gf :) small world :D

Now what do you need an "LE" for? I start my "L" by hand :) Next she'll probably want power steering :lol:If the bike is out of tune then the kick start isn't the problem. Takes more effort to charge the battery then one or two kicks.

Seriously :D

I bought my wife the E start model. It starts so easily that it's no more effort than putting your foot on the pegs. If properly jetted she would easily be able to kick it. On the flip side it may be better to be smart and get her the e start for her ease of mind. An E start and riding with her is much better than a BBR'd out non E start and nobody to ride with.

I felt a little silly with my decision to go e start after kicking the bike over, but I would do the same thing again. Now if my wife gets another bike down the road she will already be hooked and it will be easier to convince her that she doesn't need the magic button. :)

Is there any possibility she could try this one by herself. I think she would be amazed at how esily it starts with proper jetting and being warmed up.

yeah, I figure that properly set up, it should be real easy to kickstart, but I don't want to push her and turn her off, since she is a woman after all... not always the most logical creature on the planet :)

Rick

:D = me, if she reads this!

My GOD, man! She wants to ride with you, she's told you what she would most like to ride, and you're not laying stripes down the road to go get her one?

What part of "NO BRAINER" don't you get???

But seriously - (that was all in fun) - The magic button makes this sport soooo much less threatening and more pleasant. Accept the fact that what makes her most happy is different than what makes you most happy.... And make her happy! (Bet she reciprocates!)

well, a big part of the problem is trying to get rid of her ttr225 - not the most wanted bike out there right now. The dealer will give us next to nothing for it on a trade-in. Said they really didn't even want it, offered $800 at most on the trade ... it's a 2002 with less than 5 hours on it.

She's actually pretty level-headed, wants to get rid of the 225 , and doesn't want me to spend too much $$ ... so she didn't want to do the trade with the dealer. (and I can't just go do it because the 225 is in her name)

maybe I'll just wait and see how she feels later... :)

Just throw it on cycletrader.com There is a sucker born every minute! :)

I bought a used 2007 TTR 125LE last Sunday with less than 10 hours time for $1550. I found it on Craigslist from I guy that ended up living ~ 5 miles from me...

What about an "E?" Does it have to be the big wheel model? The small wheel Es are pretty easy to find.