Radiator guards 500 exc

Wondering if anyone has tried these? I'm mostly looking for lay down the bike protection. If these aren't any good, what do you recommend?ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1442900708.104983.jpg

Wondering if anyone has tried these? I'm mostly looking for lay down the bike protection. If these aren't any good, what do you recommend?attachicon.gifImageUploadedByThumper Talk1442900708.104983.jpg

I run these ones. They seem rugged and installation was easy. They dont push the shrouds out like some of the other brands do. I have dropped the bike many times and they have faired very well. They do not have the bling factor like many of the other ones, but they get the job done...and cost alot less...

Will they work with the factory 19 litre tank? I just tried Force guards  and they looked awesome but didn't fit .  Does anyone know what brand fits with the big tank?

The KTM hard parts guards are a poor design IMO.  The cage fits in front of the rads leaving the sides exposed, so a perfectly placed hit will still do serious damage.  I know this from experience! 

One benefit with the large tank is that you get protection from side impact but you don't have the front shroud to mount and hold onto the outside of the radiator. Throwing It out there Is it ok to leave the radiators without the outside support ? 

I had the UniBikers installed on my 12 and even with the stock tank the radiator shrouds had to be modified to fit correctly.  They made the shrouds bulge out and I ended up taking a bunch of material off the back side of them plus elongating the bolt holes so they would mount up.  Switched to BPDs on the 15 and they work fine on both the stock tank and current Acerbis 3.1 I am running - bolt right up.

Will also add that I took a bad fall with the Uni Bikers on the left side, resulted in a broken wrist and the guards waffled pretty bad.  Had to take them off and bend a bunch of stuff back including the support pieces that run behind the radiator.  Tons of falls with the BPDs and they are still perfect, they are expensive but worth it IMO.

Edited by Mikek671
  • Like 1

UNABIKER makes some pretty indestructible rad guards for the ktm... it would take a serious fall onto a tree or rock to even dent these bad boys lol

I have the unibiker as well and think they are well built.... Im not much of a crasher, though. I had them on my drz and that has been crashed and they have held up.

The KTM "power parts" rad guards ARE a poor design...and soft aluminum.  Course, I had to find that out after installing a set.  A routine stall/tip over (dang tall bike) resulted in a bent radiator guard and a bent radiator. Fortunately, none of the plumbing was breached.  My riding compadre has a set of Unibiker's on his bike.  MUCH better design. Encases radiator.  Have thoroughly investigated all.  Unibiker is not the "handsomest" of the bunch, but I believe the most effective protection.  On my short list for purchase.

I know dredged up but........

I saw a great price on Unabiker guards and wanted to know if anyone know of any fitment issues with the Acerbis 3 gallon tank? Also looking at Flatland racing guards as they are local guys.

BPD I know are good but too $$$ for me

• Like 2

I know dredged up but........

I saw a great price on Unabiker guards and wanted to know if anyone know of any fitment issues with the Acerbis 3 gallon tank? Also looking at Flatland racing guards as they are local guys.

BPD I know are good but too $$$ for me

I have unibiker and the 3 gallon tank... No issues

• Like 1

I've seen pretty much every brand fail, and fail quite easily.   That being said. I don't even use them anymore.  

yeah I have those they're awesome. Super strong. Way stronger than any aluminum ones would be.

Do these fit with the larger tanks? And if so which ones?

Are these the rad guards that come on the 2016 500 EXC 6 days?

Edited by Orange Crush 500

I'm not too sure if they fit with an oversized tank,I've never tried. but they are the ones that come on the six days.