Sign in to follow this  

Budget Knee and Elbow Pads for Off-road?

Hey there,

Recently got back into riding and have been gearing up.  Replaced 2001 KDX200 w/ 2015 KTM 300cx.  Old helmet with new Shoei VFX-W.  Working on the rest...

Was out this weekend and my knees paid a premium on some spills.   My riding budget isn't exactly ready for the high end knee braces I have been reading about.

Is there a budget pair of knee/elbows that the forums love?  Right now I am riding with nothing and its getting risky.  Looking to spend $150 for both to hold me over until ready for the fancy pantsy stuff.

Thanks!
Jim

Edited by MistrRoboto

I am quite satisfied with my pair of Fox Titan knee guards. Cheap but functional.

I am quite satisfied with my pair of Fox Titan knee guards. Cheap but functional.

• Like 1

I use the Fox Titans too - the sport model. $20 for knee/shin, $20 for elbow/forearm. Minimalist gear but I've never worn gear so it was easy to get accustomed to. Very light and better than leaving flesh behind.

• Like 1

Appreciate all the feedback.  I was nervous it would be a hate thread about why I don't value my knees and the only option for a sane rider are custom fit Asterisk Cell Knee Braces.

-Jim

Appreciate all the feedback.  I was nervous it would be a hate thread about why I don't value my knees and the only option for a sane rider are custom fit Asterisk Cell Knee Braces.

-Jim

I had a 35mph get off in Vegas onto caliche soil (concrete soil) with embedded rock. Knees and elbows hit and no damage with my cheapy EVS units. One of my hands was not so lucky.... That hurt! I've never worn knee braces, having ridden over 30 years. Been down my fair share with fairly simply safety equipment and fair well. But, I do wear it all, always.

I don't consider these "budget" for knee guards, but I sure do like them http://evs-sports.com/index.php/moto/knee-protection/epic/epic-knee-shin-guard.html

I think I paid $80 for them at the local shop, I just asked for a discount on them.

How do those feel going down into a riding boot? Seems like a few inches would be tucked down into it.

How do those feel going down into a riding boot? Seems like a few inches would be tucked down into it.

Compared to the $20 knee guards...better. The thing that i like about these the most is that I barely notice that I'm wearing them. The Really cheap guards rubbed the crown of my knee badly, they moved around to much and were kinda uncorfatable, but not terribly. These are exactly the oppostite and I don't notice them "more" when I sweat, unlike the cheap ones.

• Like 1

You can't get any cheaper than this, $14, Thor Sector Knee Guards.  And they work.  A short review I did here:

https://thumpertalk.com/reviews/product/45611-thor-motocross-sector-knee-guards/

I use them too. Best $14 I ever spent! Have saved my knees countless times now.

I wear a Fox Titan sport jacket and its got the elbow pads built into it. I really like it, its comfortable and has saved me from injury quite a few times as well.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/fox-racing-titan-sport-jacket

I went snowmobiling once without knee protection... the day after I bought my first sled. 

That was the first and last time that ever happened. 😏

Bought a cheap ($20-ish) pair of knee guards.  Shift, I believe.  Comfortable-ish, split 'em in under a month of riding.

Bought another pair.  Split those a month later.

Bought a different pair of cheapies (Fox), wore them a few times, not as comfortable as the Shift.

Bought the Thor Force guards.  Love 'em.  And they last about a year. 

Still have the Fox ones, but they're loaners/spares I keep in my gearbag. 

Need 'em for racing, so it's good to have extras... but I don't think i've worn them since I bought the Thors.

My next pair may be the Leatt dual-axis.  I've heard good things about those.

$80 that lasts a year and saves my knees... yeah, worth it.  I don't ride without them, snow or dirt.

DSC01470_-L.jpg

• Like 2

I just bought the Troy Lee E-Lite Elbow Guards.  Reasonably priced, list price is $35, I paid $28 from Cambria Bike.  They are a nylon sleeve that covers most of the forearm and bicep with a rubber pad built in the the elbow, it provides plenty of protection.  The strip of silicon at the top of the sleeve is there to prevent them from sliding down.  Exactly what I was looking for, something that would be protective but not restrictive like some of the hard elbow guards like the EVS ones I tried and hated, i couldn't even straighten my arm with those.  It will be a little while before I can wear them while riding (a foot of snow and recovering from a broken wrist), but they look like they will be the protection I've been looking for.

Had the EVS knee guards since 2006. Switched to Leatt Dual Axis a few weeks ago. Much better everything, but at a higher price.

I got the dual axis also. With knee brace socks they are very comfortable and offer great protection.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1451523979.966700.jpg

• Like 1