Anyone using a Scott steering stabilizer or similar product ? I would like to hear your opinion on them. Where are good places to purchase them ?

I have a Scotts on both my KTM and Beta 300 bikes. It's a must for the KTM, a "nice to have" on the Beta. You don't even know you have a damper on your bike....until you remove it and then you realize how it helps you. I bought mine from BRP along with the under bar mount. Not cheap, but a good investment IMO.

Ditto. I find it helps some on loose rocky uphills. I don't play around with it much. I just set it  and leave it.

Won't ride without one.

Dramatically reduces fatigue and arm pump.

Allow you to set the suspension settings stiffer for more cornering control.

If you buy one on ebay, make sure it's from a 'real' dealer.  There are a lot of 'street' versions that get sold to dirt guys.

The scotts unit is very well designed. I have had mine for years and just move it to the next bike.

The scotts unit has high and low speed adjustments, you can also adjust the sweep narrow or wide....the high speed adjuster is great because it limits front wheel kicks, head shake, deflections.

Also it dampens from center outward...then it's neutral to center again.

As suggested,.....make sure you get the off road one, the street version works differently.

Just get it straight from scotts.

I think I might start &%$#@!ing around with mine.

I used to put one on every bike I owned...until I started owning Beta. I have never been on a bike that turns so well and will also go 80mph in the rough without any fuss. Get the suspension working right and skip the damper.

I had the damper on Several bikes that had great suspension and handling characteristics.

I'd set the low speed at zero, narrow sweep, but the high speed at a moderate setting...just as insurance.

For situations when you hit a kicker, root or rock that normally would give the bars a good yank.

But ya, some I've owned needed it more than others.

I have one from a previous bike I owned. I haven't installed it and don't plan on installing it anytime soon. It's crazy how my 300rr is just as stable as my yz, yet can turn inside the yz every time.

I have them all my bikes :) You need to have your suspension set up...... but that being said, they have saved my bacon more than a few times on some big square hits at high-speed ;) I got mine at BRP or Scott's great service. I also like to run the BRP stabilizer submount with them as well.... just my two cents

Edited by Whiskeythrottle24

There are a lot of 'street' versions that get sold to dirt guys.

I actually prefer the street model to the dirt model. The only difference is there is resistance turning both directions where as the dirt version has resistance turning out but not return.

I used to put one on every bike I owned...until I started owning Beta. I have never been on a bike that turns so well and will also go 80mph in the rough without any fuss. Get the suspension working right and skip the damper.

I agree with you, Nate..Not absolutely necessary on a Beta unlike a KTM.

However, I had on already, and it works better on the Beta than it does on the shelf, and besides it sure is pretty

039Medium.jpg

038Medium.jpg

Edited by dyrtmon

I have a Scotts on my '10 450RR. My buddy bought 3 used ones and gave me a good deal on one. I didn't even really want it but he let me help him do some electrical work to pay for it so all it cost was my time plus cost for the Beta specific "arm" and "post". This has easily been the best thing I never knew I needed! When you're bee-bopping through a rock garden at speed and you feel the front tire suddenly TRY and kick out on you... but it doesn't... you say to yourself  "Wow! That would have really hurt!!" I'll have one on every bike I own from now on. Well worth the money!

Anyone using a Scott steering stabilizer or similar product ? I would like to hear your opinion on them. Where are good places to purchase them ?

On my  06 450CRFX I had a Scotts that came with the bike. Not knowing what it was like before hand all I can say is that I suppose it helped quite a bit. On my 450RR it came with a GPR 2 but only because the guy threw it in. It was not installed. I called GPR and they said it would not fit the Beta but by trading it in made me a screamin deal on a rebuilt GPR V4     http://www.gprstabilizer.com/prod_v4_sport 

I had to buy new triple clamps to make it work. As many say here on the Betas you really don't need one. But with all the sand and rocks we ride in I ride with mine set at about 5 (out of 8). I have played with different settings and although the feel is minimal I do like it over stock. Makes a difference running all out at 60 + mph in a sand wash. If I had $350 burning a hole in my pocket, before I bought a steering stabilizer, I would get a set of Faast Flex bars. Just sayin....

you guys got me thinking. I've got one sitting on shelf right now, and i seriously have never needed on this BETA - it just works great everywhere and has never scared me. But KTM's where terrifying without them. Making me think i should try it out now on 300RR!

I can't imagine riding any off road bike without a stabilizer. In the desert it can actually save you from a face-plant. Ive been a Scott user since the mid 90's. You will be hard pressed to find any desert racers bike without one when the banner drops.

Does it make sense to use a stabilizer and flex bars at the same time ?

Does it make sense to use a stabilizer and flex bars at the same time ?

Absolutely.  Flex bars take the sting out of "up and down" type movements.  The stabilizer protects against side to side movements of the front wheel. 

I run the stabilizer mostly for safety.  Riding singletrack, every so often you mess up and catch a tree.  Without a stabilizer, it will instantly turn your bars to the steering lock, and often rip your hands off the grips.  With the stabilizer, the front wheel only turns a bit before the high speed valving fully stops it.  The calmer and more planted feel across rough ground is only a bonus. 

Absolutely. Flex bars take the sting out of "up and down" type movements. The stabilizer protects against side to side movements of the front wheel.

I run the stabilizer mostly for safety. Riding singletrack, every so often you mess up and catch a tree. Without a stabilizer, it will instantly turn your bars to the steering lock, and often rip your hands off the grips. With the stabilizer, the front wheel only turns a bit before the high speed valving fully stops it. The calmer and more planted feel across rough ground is only a bonus.

Ok thanks. I was wondering if one negates the other. I'm planning my BYOB build and these are the types of components I want the shop to install.

This is exactly why you need a Scotts Damper. Unfortunately I was ripped off my bike on the same branch. My riding buddy stayed on his bike but needed stitches.

The GPR damper will not self center like you see here with the Scotts. Without the Damper the front end would have tucked sending him flying over the bars. These things are life savers!! This video is undisputable proof of how well dampers actually work.