• TT Sponsor

Just got the brp sub and scotts damper, put the first ride on it last weekend.

As far as vibration i couldn't tell any difference, but to me my 300 doesn't vibrate that much any way.

Now the damper is nice, seems to make it turn better as i always thought the beta felt a little too light in the front anyway. But where it seemed to really shine was when the back end would step out, slides seemed 100% more controllable. Weird, but that's what i noticed the most.

Is it worth $600? Probably not, but its cool looking bling that made a great bike just a little better.

A great experiment is to go do a loop, come back to the truck and take the damper off (don't forget to pull the pin out of the frame bracket too) and go and do that same loop again and see the difference.

Thanks Eric

• Like 2

A great experiment is to go do a loop, come back to the truck and take the damper off (don't forget to pull the pin out of the frame bracket too) and go and do that same loop again and see the difference.

Thanks Eric

Sorry Eric, that experiment would would not go well for me!! The damper has been a lifesaver more times than I can remember. I could not imagine having a offroad bike without one. Some guys call it "bling" "crutch" etc. All it takes is hitting a huge hidden rock at speed, flat spot the rim and keep going with rubber on the ground to make a believer out of anyone.

It's just as important as a helmet IMO.

I'm telling all the non believers to see this. It's a perfect example of how this actually works! I know I showed it once already but it's really important to let the guys know how well a damper works. My buddy would have done the smackdown had he not been Scotts equipped!

Less than 10 seconds into the video. 

• Like 2

I have one on my 300 and use it for tight tech woods riding.

For those that have never used a Scotts stablizer, you should be aware of it's adjustability factor.

1) Slow speed dampening...dampening through it's entire range

2) High speed or deflection dampening.....dampening when a high speed force is applied, as when the wheel is kicked to one side or the other, I also notice the damper working in a rear end swap.

3) sweep.....you can narrow or widen the sweep at which the damper is effective.

4) How it operates....it dampens from center out but but is static from out back to center.

Pretty amazing piece of engeneering.

• Like 2

Thanks Eric

Sorry Eric, that experiment would would not go well for me!! The damper has been a lifesaver more times than I can remember. I could not imagine having a offroad bike without one. Some guys call it "bling" "crutch" etc. All it takes is hitting a huge hidden rock at speed, flat spot the rim and keep going with rubber on the ground to make a believer out of anyone.

It's just as important as a helmet IMO.

I'm telling all the non believers to see this. It's a perfect example of how this actually works! I know I showed it once already but it's really important to let the guys know how well a damper works. My buddy would have done the smackdown had he not been Scotts equipped!

Less than 10 seconds into the video. 

Man, Chris, that was one hell of a hit. I've been knocked off my bike by finger sized branches just flicking the end of my bars. I might have to try that Scott's magic!

• Like 1

Man, Chris, that was one hell of a hit. I've been knocked off my bike by finger sized branches just flicking the end of my bars. I might have to try that Scott's magic!

I actually got pulled off my my bike from the same branch he did. Not the dampers fault. I tend to ride too lose. Some of these videos really show how poor of a rider I am with bad habits. I need to squeeze with my legs more. I really love riding. I just don't have a natural talent for it! It's my hope that I'll get a lot more saddle time in 2016. 

I actually got pulled off my my bike from the same branch he did. Not the dampers fault. I tend to ride too lose. Some of these videos really show how poor of a rider I am with bad habits. I need to squeeze with my legs more. I really love riding. I just don't have a natural talent for it! It's my hope that I'll get a lot more saddle time in 2016. 

Nearly every time I've been knocked off my bike, I've been sitting down while trying to keep the pace I would while standing. Being loose on the bike is a good thing if you are on the pegs, and keeping your body moving over the center of mass of the bike as it moves under you. You learn this quick on a trials bike with its soft suspension and short wheelbase, using your legs to augment the short wheel travel, while keeping up with friends on enduro bikes. I never squeeze the bike with my legs, because with a sudden kicker, I want my legs free to absorb the hit. But then I try to never sit while I'm booking it.

If you have a friend with a trials bike, see if you can borrow it for a while, and do Barry Morris' cross training exercises on it (just the stuff you will actually use on the trails with your enduro bike). It's a great and quick education on riding best-practices.

I still want a Scott's though. Every little bit helps.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I picked up the Ohlins V2 damper to put on my 16' 250rr, was told that the KTM mount will work, I'll post a photo when I get it on next week.

They are correct, the Beta doesn't seem to need a damper, but as you age it's nice to save energy not needing to hold the bars as tight, and I recently had a partial rotator cuff tear and was thinking it's now more of a medical device. Or that's how I justified the cost anyway.

Flexy bars or any trinkets that keeps us 50+ guys riding and roosting the 20+ guys, almost seems mandatory.

Was wondering if you ever got the V2 damper mounted and if the KTM mount kit worked??

Learned something (the hard way) about the Scott's.  It's so effective, that you can actually basically lock up the steering all together, if you're not careful.

On a recent ride (first with the Scott's), I got into some really rocky climbs.  Before the first one, I decided I better give the damper a bit more.  Seeing as how there's something like 20+ clicks of adjustment, I figured I'd crank it up 5 at the base of a climb.  First few feet in, I realized it was basically locked up.  Down I go.  Now Scott's instructions specifically state not to adjust anything without trying it out on flat ground first.  I didn't listen.  

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

I have a 300 Race Ready coming in soon.  I, like others here, am a firm believer in adding a stabilizer to any dirt bike.  On my KTM’s, I have always gone with a GPR setup.  However, for the Beta, I am thinking I would like to try a Scotts setup.  I like the BRP Submount configuration, but I see it limits your bar positions.  I was wondering if anyone has used their over-bar PHDS clamp setup with the XTrig Bar Mounts?  And, if so, what were your impressions?

joe  

I have a 300 Race Ready coming in soon.  I, like others here, am a firm believer in adding a stabilizer to any dirt bike.  On my KTM’s, I have always gone with a GPR setup.  However, for the Beta, I am thinking I would like to try a Scotts setup.  I like the BRP Submount configuration, but I see it limits your bar positions.  I was wondering if anyone has used their over-bar PHDS clamp setup with the XTrig Bar Mounts?  And, if so, what were your impressions?

joe  

Hi there Joe, I don't think you can use a Scotts Damper with the PHDS clamps.

• Like 1

Well, I have been working with the BRP Sales Manager putting together the parts list for my application.  So, hopefully he is not selling me something that will not work.  The problem is - it is a lot of coin. So, before I drop that much money on an add-on, I was hoping someone else had done the same and could offer some insight on if it was worth the investment.  I can go the GPR route for a lot cheaper.

joe 

Yea.  I agree - I will have a stabilizer.  Just not sure which one.  On your Husky, I assume you had the XTrig Bar Clamps with the BRP PHDS Clamp holding your Scott's.  Assuming so, there was no noticeable difference from the XTrig set-up over stock - as far as bar feel and shock deflection?

joe

Good Day! i had the boys @  slavens  racing put a package together last may already & it mounts on top & like it better their! i beileve it all came to under 500.00 to my door! they do a great job! :ride:  ?

• 1 month later...

Hi gang, I just picked up a Beta 300 Xtrainer this weekend and look forward to riding it on mountain trails here in Idaho.  I'd like to set the new bike up with my existing Scott's stabilizer from my WR250R.

Will the BRP SUB mount work with stock controls cables and wiring?  (I'm guessing "yes" because I haven't read anything here to the contrary.)   On my WR250R I had to buy longer cables and extend the controls wiring.

Hi gang, I just picked up a Beta 300 Xtrainer this weekend and look forward to riding it on mountain trails here in Idaho.  I'd like to set the new bike up with my existing Scott's stabilizer from my WR250R.

Will the BRP SUB mount work with stock controls cables and wiring?  (I'm guessing "yes" because I haven't read anything here to the contrary.)   On my WR250R I had to buy longer cables and extend the controls wiring.

Not sure about the cables but you will need a new link arm stepped +8mm if not the same as your WR250R. Link arm part # is LKM-4032-48. Double check with Scotts to verify.

You also need the link arm puller: http://www.scottsonline.com/groupitem.php?Item=1528&Groups=187