ramcharger

why do people think old bikes arent competitive?

Why do people think old bikes arent competitive anymore? Both of my bikes are a 98. Ones a yz400f and the other is a xr200. When i tell people that they think that i must be slow and cant be competive bc the bike is old. Then you tell them its all rider and they just laugh. Anyone think this on here and if you do why. I know a profesional vintage enduro racer and he can keep up and usually beat people on NEW bikes and hes on bikes from the 80s and also uses a xr200 and runs people down on 450s in the woods.

• Like 3

A lot is the rider.  I keep up fine with CRF450Rs on my modded 03 XR250R (except in flat out straight stuff, of course).

• Like 3

People believe that the technology on the newer bikes will make up for some shortcomings that their old steed has, and that it might make up for some of their personal shortcomings (skill wise).. Sometimes they are right. Lighter bikes are less work to throw around and therefore you can ride longer, and potentially better, before getting worn out. Old(er) bikes are just plain heavy. Sit on a new KTM SX and tell me that it weighs more than your old bike. It will not. It will in fact be significantly lighter. Lighter means it stops faster, accelerates faster from a stop, or through a corner, is less likely to wash the front end as there is less weight over-all. So, while I too ride an older bike, I don't for a minute believe that the newer bikes do not have an advantage. They clearly do. But, I'm cheap and I'm not willing to plunk down 5X what I paid for my used bike, only to have the new bike be old in the next 5 years. So, as long as my older bike-with  many mods-can still be competitive with the newer bikes, I will keep it.   Did I mention power? If you have ridden a new bike you know what I mean. The newer bikes just have balls like our older bikes can only dream of. There is NO comparison. I rode a '14 KTM 250SX 2 stroke that felt like an old CR500 that I used to ride.. Maybe not as much power but it was darned snappy. And very easy to lose control off.

Other people buy new(er) bikes because they know that their older bike may be getting close to an engine rebuild.. Or it needs all new bearings from front to back, or it needs new rims, etc; Which is better to put good money into an older bike, or just start with a new model? Most will just choose the new model if they can afford it. Nothing wrong with that. I'm past the point of no return on my bike. I already have more in it that what a newer bike would have cost. Can't sell it and get anything for it so why get rid of it? I probably can't get 25% back of what I have in  my bike if I sold it. So, I will just keep it and ride it, and fix it when it breaks. Maybe one day I will crack the frame and have to buy a new bike.

• Like 5

Most people aren't very fast on older bikes

Anyone who wants to can have fun dumping money into an old bike, mines not that new. 10 years old, cheap, light, easy to find parts for, easy to work on, and I love the ergonomics

I've never sat on an 80s-90s bike and thought to myself "wow, I could ride this quickly" the ergonomics were always god awful

There's very little difference to the average rider (yes - 99% of us on here), but to a racer every little edge helps. Manufacturers dump millions into R&D to make bikes better year after year.

• Like 2

There's very little difference to the average rider (yes - 99% of us on here), but to a racer every little edge helps. Manufacturers dump millions into R&D to make bikes better year after year.

You nailed it pretty well there.  I don't race, so my 12 year old XR suits me just fine.  But I know darn well if I ever started back racing again that old bike would be gone in a flash.

• Like 2

People believe that the technology on the newer bikes will make up for some shortcomings that their old steed has, and that it might make up for some of their personal shortcomings (skill wise).. Sometimes they are right. Lighter bikes are less work to throw around and therefore you can ride longer, and potentially better, before getting worn out. Old(er) bikes are just plain heavy. Sit on a new KTM SX and tell me that it weighs more than your old bike. It will not. It will in fact be significantly lighter. Lighter means it stops faster, accelerates faster from a stop, or through a corner, is less likely to wash the front end as there is less weight over-all. So, while I too ride an older bike, I don't for a minute believe that the newer bikes do not have an advantage. They clearly do. But, I'm cheap and I'm not willing to plunk down 5X what I paid for my used bike, only to have the new bike be old in the next 5 years. So, as long as my older bike-with  many mods-can still be competitive with the newer bikes, I will keep it.   Did I mention power? If you have ridden a new bike you know what I mean. The newer bikes just have balls like our older bikes can only dream of. There is NO comparison. I rode a '14 KTM 250SX 2 stroke that felt like an old CR500 that I used to ride.. Maybe not as much power but it was darned snappy. And very easy to lose control off.

Other people buy new(er) bikes because they know that their older bike may be getting close to an engine rebuild.. Or it needs all new bearings from front to back, or it needs new rims, etc; Which is better to put good money into an older bike, or just start with a new model? Most will just choose the new model if they can afford it. Nothing wrong with that. I'm past the point of no return on my bike. I already have more in it that what a newer bike would have cost. Can't sell it and get anything for it so why get rid of it? I probably can't get 25% back of what I have in  my bike if I sold it. So, I will just keep it and ride it, and fix it when it breaks. Maybe one day I will crack the frame and have to buy a new bike.

ik the newer bikes make more power but most people cant even use the full bikes to their full potential and are faster on a slower bike

• Like 3

I've watched an 82 cr250 win in a full a class race before

But if that race happened in 1982 that statement loses some of the effect. 😏

Talking of old CRs, we can't have that without seeing Jerry Robin's antics.

• Like 2

I really like riding vintage bikes from the 70's. I have as much fun on them as I do on my new bike and can ride any trail on them. The only thing I like about my newer bike is the suspension. The vintage bikes beat me up after a long day and sore the next day. 

One day I will have a collection of vintage bikes, looks like a fun hobby.

• Like 2

I really don't believe the bikes have gotten that much better since the early 2000's.  More expensive, certainly, but the incremental increases in performance have required substantial trade offs in serviceability and reliability.  I bet the new SFF air forks can be dialed in to work better than open cart KYB's but I'm seeing tubes worn out in under 40 hours on the new KX450f.  I'm still on my original set of 48mm KYB's from 2003 and with some valving changes they're working great.  I have the same concerns for the ubiquitous aluminum frames.  Google YZ450 broken frame.  Aluminum does not handle stress cycling like steel and over time it will fail from fatigue.  These bikes are newer than anything I have ever owned and they're breaking frames.

The new 450's are not lighter than their two stroke predecessors either, aluminum frame or not.  My 03 KX250 weighs in at around 220 lbs.  Last time I checked the 450's are weighing in around 240.

• Like 3

I really like riding vintage bikes from the 70's. I have as much fun on them as I do on my new bike and can ride any trail on them. The only thing I like about my newer bike is the suspension. The vintage bikes beat me up after a long day and sore the next day.

One day I will have a collection of vintage bikes, looks like a fun hobby.

I've found that I also really feel drawn to vintage bikes and plan on creating a collection over the years. I've ridden trails with friends with new bikes and I'm sure I could keep up or be faster on my old kdx or xr. I think newer bikes prob hold a bigger advantage on tracks. Off road, My 07 kxf , outfitted for off road would hold an advantage over a brand new stock kxf I imagine. New is cool but prob not doing much for most of us regular folk compared to a bike a few years older. If I had 10 k to spend I buy 2 or 3 late model bikes before I bought 1 new bike.

I encountered one of the "Must have new bikes to be competitive" type guys a few weeks ago. I was engaging in general chit chat with him on the trails when I mentioned I would be interested one day in racing enduro on a club level. With that he looked my bike up and down and said I wouldn't stand a chance on any level competing against new bikes and how much power they had etc. etc. I'm pretty sure he was an MX guy because he seemed to be worried how his hair looked after taking his helmet off and couldn't praise himself enough.

Comments like that have just made me more determined to prove wankers like him wrong.

BTW, my bike is an 07 525 which to isn't that old to me but obviously is some peoples eyes.

• Like 3

I still race vintage iorn but prefer modern bikes.

The first flat track race I entered was full of old bikes in every class. What I was told is they ain't slow they just didn't jump well back then.

I race my 08 crf450r in 35+intermediate mx and gpmx....still kick ass on it, can't see any place somebody else's ride is better then mine. Pride of ownership, comfort with machine and practice are better then new bikes.

1443222590084.jpg

• Like 7

I race my 08 crf450r in 35+intermediate mx and gpmx....still kick ass on it, can't see any place somebody else's ride is better then mine. Pride of ownership, comfort with machine and practice are better then new bikes.

If 2008 is old then I'm riding around on a T-Rex.

1443224928969.jpg

1443224942079.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1