120/100-80 Maxxis Dessert It for 14' 500EXC

I like the Maxxis Dessert It but it is skinnier than stock.

Stock =140/80-18

Dessert IT = 120/100-18

Any thoughts?

It's funny you bring this up. I was standing at cycle gear the other day looking at a desert it thinking about how much I like that tire. I was also thinking about the size difference, and that I'm pretty happy with the 6 days that came on my 500. I still have some tread left, and no money, so I have some time to decide. If you do get the desert it, post how you like it.

It's funny you bring this up. I was standing at cycle gear the other day looking at a desert it thinking about how much I like that tire. I was also thinking about the size difference, and that I'm pretty happy with the 6 days that came on my 500. I still have some tread left, and no money, so I have some time to decide. If you do get the desert it, post how you like it.

yes desert it is the best in the desert and high sierra terrain for us you wont sorry!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Anyone know how many miles of 90% off/10 % on road riding will this tire last for?  I was actually ok with the stock tire considering how long it lasted me.  I would buy another one if i could find one.

Anyone know how many miles of 90% off/10 % on road riding will this tire last for?  I was actually ok with the stock tire considering how long it lasted me.  I would buy another one if i could find one.

That has more to do with throttle control than miles.  I can't give you a mileage est because I tend to twist a little too much.

• Like 1

Are you going to run it totally bald, or to where it begins to lose traction, 3 to 5 months depending.

I got 900 miles off a 6 days rear Totally bald (not even 1 month), that was alot of street use (also unacceptable for my pocketbook)

lots of wheeling under power also reduces tire life 

Edited by Spud786

I had 320 miles of 95% dirt and 5% road (estimate) and my desert it looked nearly new still. The sharp edges were worn off on the hookup side, but no other wear. I switched to a tubliss setup and went with the irc m5b which hooks up a million times better in the dirt but way worse on the road. The desert it was a very good road tire.

Are you going to run it totally bald, or to where it begins to lose traction, 3 to 5 months depending.

I got 900 miles off a 6 days rear Totally bald (not even 1 month), that was alot of street use (also unacceptable for my pocketbook)

lots of wheeling under power also reduces tire life 

I have a little over 700 miles probably 100 of that on the road on my stock maxxis tire.  Probably have about 4-5mm of knobs left but they're very rounded off and the tire doesn't hook up for crap.  Its perfectly good still for on the road but it just spins in the dirt, its not even fun to ride at this stage.

I have a little over 700 miles probably 100 of that on the road on my stock maxxis tire.  Probably have about 4-5mm of knobs left but they're very rounded off and the tire doesn't hook up for crap.  Its perfectly good still for on the road but it just spins in the dirt, its not even fun to ride at this stage.

Have you thought of a Kenda track master II  on the rear (don't run the fronts), I use to run these on my cr 500 cause they lasted pretty good and were cheap , I could normally squeek 5 or 6 months out of one riding mx every weekend.

I think you fall into the range , of what is to be expected from a knobbie

I don't use miles or age. I look at a tire and if I have to actually think... "Can I get one more ride out of that tire?" If I have to ask that question, I change it without question. Most of my mishaps are from trying to get too much out of a tire I've been abusing since the day I spooned it on.