Sign in to follow this  

Best boot for protection?...

I'm sure this has been discussed before, but 2015 is coming to an end and I'm wondering what everybody's experiences are. After being a fan of Alpinestars for the past 8 years, I'm giving up on them due to their lack of protection. If a simple stick can puncture the leather and leave me with a nice hospital bill, I don't want them on my feet. I was thinking of the Sidi Crossfire 2 boots because of the hard plastic for protection on the foot/toe area. Any thoughts? 

I'll be moving to the southwest in a few months and plan on doing a lot of solo night rides, so the last thing I want is to be stranded with an injury that could have been avoided by a better choice in boots. Thanks for any input!!

Pretty much all dirt bike boots protect well

I beg to differ, oh wise one. Rode last Friday with a pal 'o mine riding with cheap pair of O'Neals or something very similar. Had a low speed impact involving ankle/ tree/ peg and ended up in the er. IMHO- better made boots provide better protection. G

Agreed....So my advice would be to invest in a quality pair of boots, don't go out and buy a pair based on the lowest price...................

Edited by 2012 450 xc-w
  • Like 1

After going through 2 pairs of inexpensive boots in less than 2 years (one pair wore through the insole, other pair ripped a huge hole in the side from the peg) I good buddy sold me his tech 10's for $250 (he broke his shoulder on his 3rd ride and gave up the sport - pity him :().

So I knew what what a new pair of 10's were worth and IMO got SMOKING deal. If I was to buy new, not totally sure if they would be 10's BUT would be the higher end models of the top manufactures like Alpinestar, Sidi, Forma etc etc.

I do not see needing to buy boots any time soon (I love the 10's and they are in awesome shape) but boots and helmet's are something I want to be able to try on in a shop. 

Anyway, IMO your helmet only needs to hit the ground once and it's done where your working the hell out of your boots.

Edited by filterx

SG12 get my vote, because the fit my wide foot. I have been wearing Sidi for cycling for a few decades, but there they offer a wide last shoe option in addition to their regular last. 

Excellent point from Kawracr 173

When I first started dirt biking backing in the late 70's me and all my buddies wore steel toe/shank rubber boots, stuck cut up hockey shin pads in the front and duct taped the tops around our overall's and I'm absolutely serous about this 🙂

Then when I got back onto a dirt bike after 20 years I through on my steel toe work boots for my first ride. I ripped out a 3" long 1/2" wide chunk of my shin and have the scar to prove it.  THEN I at least figured I need some sort of proper dirt bike boot even if they were cheap.

Here's a pic of a pic from like 1981. This guy was the our only friend with real dirt bike boots and we where ALL jealous but same over all's.

Big%20Wheel_zps2xw5frcc.jpg

Edited by filterx
  • Like 1

Simple answer, Gaerne, Forma or Sidi, depends on your foot....The more you pay, the better the protection. SG 10, 11 &12 differences are minor, but the 10 & 11 are considered their "trail boot" while the 12 is the MX boot. I have the SG10s (WIDE...WIIIIIDE feet and I love them. Did a toe kicker (I've done a lot recently) at 40MPH, threw my foot up behind my ass, just about lost the bike.....My foot didn't hurt at all.....my heart hurt like hell after that scare though.

I just don't understand how people wear boots out so fast. My Tech 3's are just mint week in and week out. From trails to mx track..no issues. And they are the cheapest boot Alpinestars makes. I can only imagine how good the Tech 10 is. 

I just don't understand how people wear boots out so fast. My Tech 3's are just mint week in and week out. From trails to mx track..no issues. And they are the cheapest boot Alpinestars makes. I can only imagine how good the Tech 10 is.

My Tech 3's were the worst boot ice ever owned. Buckles were trash and I wore a home through the brake pedal side in 8 weeks. They were so awful I wrote a letter to Alpinestars, to which I received no response (not a surprise).

I have Gaerne SG12 and love them! I tried the A-Star Tech 7 and they were comfortable but the foot was too narrow for me. Bottom line.......you get what you pay for, if you want top of the line protection you buy top of the line gear!

Find a store that has multiple brands and try them all on and walk around the store, I did and was happy with my decision.

Edited by ChubbyCat113

People that stand most of the time ruin boots in a hurry. It flexes the ankle alot,rubs the frame and eats soles.
  • Like 1

Best protection are the plastic boots, but most are stiff like a plastic ski boot and very difficult to walk in.  If you trail ride you probably also need to be able to walk and push the bike, etc; so you need a hinged angle and an Enduro or lug sole.

SIDI sells an enduro sole for their boots so the SIDI solves both problems and provides the protection of plastic, other benefits are:

Replaceable parts.

Thin toe box for working controls.

Nice comfortable fit, I wear street socks which provide better feel of the controls.

Absolutely the best boots I've owned or used.

Best protection are the plastic boots, but most are stiff like a plastic ski boot and very difficult to walk in.  If you trail ride you probably also need to be able to walk and push the bike, etc; so you need a hinged angle and an Enduro or lug sole.

SIDI sells an enduro sole for their boots so the SIDI solves both problems and provides the protection of plastic, other benefits are:

Replaceable parts.

Thin toe box for working controls.

Nice comfortable fit, I wear street socks which provide better feel of the controls.

Absolutely the best boots I've owned or used.

Tried a hinged boot?  Makes a big difference in walkability. 

I've got a pair of Forma Enduros... been happy with them.  Lug sole, which is nice.  Comfortable, and reasonably priced.

My O'Neal RDXs saved my feet and ankles both in the desert and woods more times than I can count. Especially recently when I went hauling past a bush that had a small downed tree hidden in/behind it with the trunk oriented towards me and my left boot hit it hard enough that I thought I'd broken my ankle - I didn't but it was enough to snap the lower buckle right off and hurt for a couple of days. Just bought some SG-11s - what a difference in quality. I can't recommend Gaerne enough. I have no doubts they'll outlast my O'neals and will do at least as good of a job of protecting my feet. The point is, but a quality product. That said, I don't recommend the RDX...