-82xr-

Best Handlebars for an XR200R?

I need new bars for my 82 xr200r restore project. There are so many different brands and bends I don't really know where to start. Anybody have a recommendation on which brand and bend style to get?

Mostly open high speed trails. Not alot of jumps or technical stuff....

OEM bars have an Enduro bend, they sweep back making seated riding more comfortable, but standing less comfortable and I believe with less control.

My fav bars are bars bent for MX riding such as "CR Hi" or "Windham", less sweep than enduro and slightly higher than most others.

http://www.renthal.com/shop/mx-products/handlebars/se-handlebars/mx-se-handlebars

Renthal aluminum bars are stronger than stock steel bars and half the weight.

Some shops/dealers have displays of bars that you can place your hand on to get a feel for different bends.

Edited by Chuck.

I also like Renthal bars but just put Moose aluminum handle bars on my 1979 since I couldn't find one of theirs that matched closely the stock bar as I wasn't looking to "improve" on the stock bar (in excellent shape so I wanted to save it), just replicate as close as possible with a modern bar that wouldn't bend on the first crash. I used a set of their ATV Race bars since it had the closest to the stock height and bend that I could find. Once I actually ride the '79 XR I may change my mind!

I've been using ATV bars for my vintage bikes since they seem to replicate the vintage OEM bar specifications. Moose info: Part # 0601-1716 7/8 in. 2014 T6 alloy provides high strength yet reduces fatiguing vibration Over sized crossbar for greater strength Crossbar pad included

Dimensions:

Width - 775mm

Height - 120mm

Rise - 95mm

Base - 205mm

Sweep - 68mm

Edited by IAoffroader

Old thread I know, but figured rather than start new when there's already a thread on the subject, I would just revive this one. 

I've never swapped out the bars on my XR200R, so I don't know what style bar I want to go with. I like the feel of my bike with the stock bars, but would like a little taller bar for better comfort while standing. Does anyone know which bend is closest to the stock bars? 

I might just try the CR high bend since everyone seems to like it. 

Another question. I seem to remember last time I saw the ProTaper bars at Cycle Gear, they had marks to cut them down for a narrower width. Have any of you cut your aftermarket bars down, and if so how much? I guess just like what bars to use,  maybe that all comes down to personal preference huh?

I use "Bark Busters" on my trail bikes and they add 3/4" to each end of the bars. The first time I installed a set was just before a PNW Enduro and during the event I kept clipping trees. So I removed 3/4" from each end and solved that reason for clipping trees.

Stock bars are Enduro style and have more sweep the MX bars; if you stand a lot get MX bars, if you sit a lot Enduro bends are OK.

I like, and have used, Renthal;  CR Hi, RC Hi, and Windham bends.

https://www.renthal.com/shop/index.php?_route_=mx-products/handlebars/se-handlebars/mx-se-handlebars

Thanks for the input chuck. 

I guess it's just gonna be a trial and error thing. Try them til I find what works best for me. Shitty thing is that can get expensive. 

I do like to sit a lot, but I need to get used to standing. I'm sure that would help me navigate through different areas at times

Edited by Daniel627
Left stuff out

Tons of different bars out there. Generally lower bars let you ride a little faster but with less control. Higher bars more control.