jochuma3

Pennsylvania Famous Reading Outdoors -Info Thread

1 hour ago, Mr and Mrs Enduro said:

I noticed official crossing signs at 901 and Popeyes. Crossing area is just a tad north of the old one closer to the north side of the interaction of Valley rd.

Good to see an official FRO crossing sign there. That is in Foster Township. The standard FRO package includes many pages of legalese about riding in Foster Township, and pointing out that riding in groups in Forster Township is illegal.

4 hours ago, njdrt-rdr said:

Groups of how many? .guess I better read the sheet.

I am not a lawyer, and I can't understand exactly what the law says.   I think their laws are completely unconstitutional. I'd love to know why they passed them. Maybe too many Hells Angles at the 901 pub? It makes no sense for dirt bikes on FRO land.

Just cross 901 safely and single file and you wont have any troubles.

Don't worry about their stupid law, it wont hold up in court anyway.

I am not a lawyer, and I can't understand exactly what the law says.   I think their laws are completely unconstitutional. I'd love to know why they passed them. Maybe too many Hells Angles at the 901 pub? It makes no sense for dirt bikes on FRO land.
Wow I found the rules and holy cow they are are to read. But I will say it constantly references ATV. In PA, by definition an at has three or more wheels so all those rules shouldn't apply to us.

Someone in the "meet-up" thread asked if FRO requires spark arrestors. Since this is long term information, I'll post the answer here.

I checked with FRO management, and got this reply. Its official:

We do not require them.

Them meaning US Forest Service approved spark arrestors.
That said, burning down the forest is a bad idea, so sparkies are a good thing.

Was out riding Darkwater and Valley Road today (Saturday), coming in from 901. Before I could get to the  St. Kierns / Valley Rd parking lot, the main haul road is closed off by huge piles of rocks. There is a new path going South, its nearly as wide as a haul road. But they have sprayed some sort of biological recycling on it, and it stinks to heaven.

They have posted a number of "closed, active mining area" around the trails that go up to the new(newish) electric Marion dragline (just west of Thomaston Road). They even moved that huge dragline maybe 100 yards.

2 hours ago, tripleG said:

Is there single track at darkwater other then the dirty santa run?

There is tons of single-track at Darkwater, and the adjacent Valley Road areas. The Dirty Santa route shows you a lot of it, but by no means all. I find new trails nearly every time I ride there, unless I am going too fast along the big trails.

• Like 1

This question is probably on the completely wrong forum but I know you guys know FRO better than most.  I have been riding there a long time but haven’t made it out this year very much at all.   I have heard and seen pics of newly marked Jeep and buggy trails on the property. Trails named,  exit through the gift shop, seven foot ridge and all taters no meat, and others.   I was hoping you could help me find where they are located on the property.  I haven’t brought the Jeep or buggies to RAC before because AOAA and Rausch just had better trails for them.  

11 hours ago, Shawn Sobel said:

This question is probably on the completely wrong forum but I know you guys know FRO better than most....   I have heard and seen pics of newly marked Jeep and buggy trails on the property. Trails named,  exit through the gift shop, seven foot ridge and all taters no meat, and others.   I was hoping you could help me find where they are located on the property.  I haven’t brought the Jeep or buggies to RAC before because AOAA and Rausch just had better trails for them.  

This is exactly the right forum and the right thread. I have seen a few of those signs, "all taters no meat" might even be in a couple of places. I have no idea who put them up, and didn't know that they were Jeep/buggy oriented. One that I looked at some looked impassable for me on my motorcycle. One is near N40° 43.813' W76° 13.947' or maybe N40° 43.792' W76° 13.853' these will get you close

I'll keep my eyes open next time I see one and try to capture where it is.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

This is exactly the right forum and the right thread. I have seen a few of those signs, "all taters no meat" might even be in a couple of places. I have no idea who put them up, and didn't know that they were Jeep/buggy oriented. One that I looked at some looked impassable for me on my motorcycle. One is near N40° 43.813' W76° 13.947' or maybe N40° 43.792' W76° 13.853' these will get you close

I'll keep my eyes open next time I see one and try to capture where it is.

Ive been seeing thise signs too-  Hell I thought they might be trials sections !  No doubt some of it looks damn gnarly !   

• Like 2

Just now, jochuma3 said:

Ive been seeing thise signs too-  Hell I thought they might be trials sections !  No doubt some of it looks damn gnarly !   

exactly. the one near my pins is a creek bed/waterfall that is on the face of a 30 foot high cliff. I've approached it from the top, and while its wide enough for a SxS its wicked rocky and steep.

• Like 1

Thanks!!  I knew you guys would know.   Pat I have met you a couple times out on the trail, still trying to get my stuff together to meet up and ride with you guys. The trails are sponsored by Dukes of Skook and OutKast Krawlers. They have been working to cut new trails for jeeps and off-road buggies. 

• Like 1

my son and i have been up to FRO twice now, once at Darkwater and once at Burma Road.   Was going to check one of the others areas out next.  We liked Darkwater, with its single track options,  Burma was a little to open for us. At Burma we checked out both sides of the road, mostly on the Walmart side.  The other side seemd to have more trail, but was not diffcult to tell if  we were on the the property or not.  We certainly did not "see" everything.    I checked my map APP after the ride and saw that we were off property a few times by a pretty good amount.     Which of the others areas has some decent flowing single track, with maybe some nice play area pits as well.  We have a three hour drive so i like to get a little feed back before we head back up there.  The descriptions on the FRO website are not quite detailed/ dirt bike oriented enough to make a informed decision.     Thanks