jochuma3

Pennsylvania Famous Reading Outdoors -Info Thread

1 hour ago, Dirt Hokie said:

we figured it out, a lot easier then I thought, don't know why we never figured it out last time.

Good to see that even a Hokie can figure it out.

Pat, original member of the VT Motorcycle Club, founded in 1969
BS Math Va Tech, 1974

FRO has posted this, this weekend will be a special celebration of the trails being reopened. They are allowing you to bring a friend. Or two.

Additionally, as a celebration of reopening and the world returning to normal, FRO will be having a member-guest weekend starting at sunrise Friday June 26th to sunset Sunday June 28th. All members will be permitted to grant TWO of their friends or family members to ride for free during the weekend. Any guests must be accompanied by a member at all times (6 feet apart of course).

Remember, the first friend should be paying for gas, and the second should be paying for post-ride dinner. This is specifically stated in FRO rules and regulations, and if caught disobeying FRO code, it is an automatic loss of friendship 🙂

Hi. Recently purchased a 2000 DRZ 400K. Really enjoying it and riding with my son on a ttr 125.

Recently went to AOAA, only live 20 miles from there, and would love to ride with other people.

Is there a local group of riders that go out together?

Thx.

Rich

4 hours ago, Rich Lambert said:

Recently went to AOAA, only live 20 miles from there, and would love to ride with other people.

I am sure that there are groups of folks. Perhaps not as many as ride FRO

I've ridden AOAA maybe 6 to 8 times. I like how they have real toilets, paved parking, signs, maps, trail markers. And the folks running the place have always been great. If its possible, it feels like AOAA trails have more rocks than FRO, I know, that may be the difference  between two huge, uncountable numbers. I've used both day passes and an annual pass at AOAA

I love how AOAA has had "day passes" forever. Its great to let folks pay a small fee and see for themselves what its like. FRO has offered some day passes in the past, and then stopped offering them. Right now, FRO is not offering the one-day pass.

My main reason to ride FRO more often is that FRO is about 25 minutes less travel time from my area (down near King of Prussia).

Another benefit of AOAA for families is that AOAA allows younger kids to ride, FRO has a higher age restriction.

AOAA is much easier for someone new to go there and have fun, because of the maps and trail markers. At FRO, you either need an experienced hand to show you the cool trails, or you need the time to explore on your own.

Edited by pat22043

22 minutes ago, pat22043 said:

I am sure that there are groups of folks. Perhaps not as many as ride FRO

I've ridden AOAA maybe 6 to 8 times. I like how they have real toilets, paved parking, signs, maps, trail markers. And the folks running the place have always been great. If its possible, it feels like AOAA trails have more rocks than FRO, I know, that may be the difference  between two huge, uncountable numbers. I've used both day passes and an annual pass at AOAA

I love how AOAA has had "day passes" forever. Its great to let folks pay a small fee and see for themselves what its like. FRO has offered some day passes in the past, and then stopped offering them, right now, FRO is not offering the one-day pass.

My main reason to ride FRO more often is that FRO is about 25 minutes less travel time from my area (down near King of Prussia).

Another benefit of AOAA for families is that AOAA allows younger kids to ride, FRO has a higher age restriction.

AOAA is much easier for someone new to go there and have fun, because of the maps and trail markers. At FRO, you either need an experienced hand to show you the cool trails, or you need the time to explore on your own.

That about sums it up perfectly.  My son and I rode at AOAA and then when he was old enough we migrated to FRO.  AOAA really is a good place to start.

I’ll admit to this now as it has been a few years, but I did something stupid and scared myself there.  I took my son and his friend (then each 11-12 yrs old) riding at AOAA in late fall, on the day that the clocks fell back an hour.  We had ridden the eastern side many times and thought we’d give the western side a try.  Well we got out there and viewed the whaleback and had a great ride. But after a few hours a foggy, low cloud layer set in.  No problem we just kept following the trail markers and thought we were on a loop that would take us back to the main road entrance.  After an hour, we realized we had just past the same trail marker that we were at an hour prior.

No problem, pull out my phone and see if I can get a view on the map.  It wouldn't load, the service was poor and my battery was dropping under 25%.  We pressed on with the boys asking if we were lost (heck no! I told them) trying to find our bearings.  But due to the low cloud and mist I could not get a bearing and didn’t know where I was.  And, it was like 3:30pm and would probably be dark by 4:30.  We hadn’t seen any other riders in hours.

I gave up, dialed the AOAA office and confessed my stupidity.  I still remember the guys name, Joe, who listened to the description of where we had been and the trails we had ridden, and somehow he figured out roughly where I was and he gave me a few pointers that eventually led us back to the main trail.  

We were never in any real danger, but for a while I felt we might just have to spend the night out there. 

Lots of lessons learned, I now carry in my backpack a spare phone battery/charger, load maps/Maprika on the phone, a good first aid kit, matches, rope, extra water and snacks to at least spend a night in the woods if it should ever come to that.  And, it’s a good reason to ride ride in a group.

3 minutes ago, RDTH said:

No problem we just kept following the trail markers and thought we were on a loop that would take us back to the main road entrance.  After an hour, we realized we had just past the same trail marker that we were at an hour prior.

I had a similar problem on the East side at AOAA, got in a loop, finally realized that I was seeing the same markers over and over. Still, having maps and trail markers is a lot easier than having to know.

One side topic, the FRO Locust Gap trails contact the AOAA land at two areas. So if you have both permits, you can ride from one to the other, making a giant loop.

The best thing about AOAA is the markers at every intersection. Along with a number sign they have a pink and black arrow sign. Even if you have no map, you follow the pink and black arrow sign at every intersection and it leads you back to the parking lot. If you remember pink and black leads you back, you can't get lost. I did AOAA with my boys when they were younger. They were always inviting friends they had talked into getting a dirt bike. It is a great place to take new people. 

On 6/26/2020 at 3:54 PM, Rich Lambert said:

Hi. Recently purchased a 2000 DRZ 400K. Really enjoying it and riding with my son on a ttr 125.

Is there a local group of riders that go out together?

Thx.

Rich

I'll be heading to AOAA for the first time once my Moto Jack Rack shows up. I'd be game to meet up, if you don't mind the slow pace of someone just getting back into riding after almost 20 years off.

My kid is riding a 50cc at home, but still too small to hold it up comfortably. My AOAA trips will be to scope out the easy trails for him and get my sea legs back. Then, I think I'll be exploring FRO.

• Like 1

Just rode today at dark water for the first time in a while. Went all the way to the 901 pub and heard they will most likely be going out of business in the near future. (Governor wolf’s fault)Hopefully this doesnt happen!  Its not for sure but just a heads up if anyone wants to plan ride there. 

2 hours ago, Ryan Sensenig said:

Went all the way to the 901 pub and heard they will most likely be going out of business in the near future. .... Its not for sure but just a heads up if anyone wants to plan ride there. 

Hope they can stay open, but the lock-down was brutal on all of the hospitality businesses. The FRO land to the west of the 901 Pub is still open for riding.

I would often ride the FRO land near the Pub and then go in for some cold drinks and food. Its kinda a dive, but I can enjoy a dive. And it sure is a handy location for riding those trails.

On 7/24/2020 at 10:32 PM, pat22043 said:

Hope they can stay open, but the lock-down was brutal on all of the hospitality businesses. The FRO land to the west of the 901 Pub is still open for riding.

I would often ride the FRO land near the Pub and then go in for some cold drinks and food. Its kinda a dive, but I can enjoy a dive. And it sure is a handy location for riding those trails.

Yes. We like to park all the way at dark water, and just ride straight to 901 for lunch, hit some single track over there and come back. Its just a fun little tradition i would say.

On 8/1/2020 at 7:20 PM, DMal250 said:

What’s the best area for beginners?  Looking for a place with a good mix for dirt bike and quad riders.  

Have you ridden FRO yourself? I have taught a couple, maybe three, folks to ride there. I've always started at Burma. I spend the first 15 to 30 minutes on the wide downhill haul road on the South side of Burma Road from the main parking lot. Its fairly smooth and wide. Its about the only smooth section of trails that I can think of, other than the main haul road from the Upper Darkwater lot.

The problem is that beginners usually freak out at the rocks, and all of FRO is full of rocks. After a few hours of riding, they can usually relax and ride over them.

The new Upper Darkwater lot was not there when I taught my beginners. I think its the best place. Top of the hill on Darkwater Road, across from the gravel plant. Look for this sign.

DarkwaterUpperSign.jpg

On 8/1/2020 at 7:20 PM, DMal250 said:

What’s the best area for beginners?  Looking for a place with a good mix for dirt bike and quad riders.  

Your quad riders will be happy to know that District 6 has made it a point to blow out any and all single track with their events so rest assured none of you will not be able to go where the other is. 

Since you may not realize that this is sarcasm.. you can also rest assured that it is. The place is nothing but quad trails anymore. It’s a shame really