Sign in to follow this  

Drz won't start, have to pour oil down spark plug hole question

I work out of state every 7 days so I'm home for 7 then gone for 7 days so every time I come home I have to pour a cap full of oil down the spark plug hole then the bike fires right up. I have a few questions, 1 why doesn't oil pump to the top of the engine while the bike is cranking like any other engine? 2 How common is this for other drz400? 3 Is it common for others that let there bike sit for only 7 days and have this problem? Any remedies to fix this? I'm gonna try a different brand oil, maybe it will coat the rings longer????? This gets annoying when I come home and just want to ride but I have to f#ck around for 20 minutes taking the bike apart and pourin oil down the engine

What ?????? 

Do you pull the choke out  and crank for a bit ? it should start then even if it sat for 2 months . If it truely needs oil poured down the plug hole then it in bad need of a topend rebuild , not enough compression and that oil seals up the rings enough to get it high enough for the mixture to ignite.

• Like 1

I work out of state every 7 days so I'm home for 7 then gone for 7 days so every time I come home I have to pour a cap full of oil down the spark plug hole then the bike fires right up. I have a few questions, 1 why doesn't oil pump to the top of the engine while the bike is cranking like any other engine? 2 How common is this for other drz400? 3 Is it common for others that let there bike sit for only 7 days and have this problem? Any remedies to fix this? I'm gonna try a different brand oil, maybe it will coat the rings longer????? This gets annoying when I come home and just want to ride but I have to f#ck around for 20 minutes taking the bike apart and pourin oil down the engine

Never heard of pouring oil down the plug hole, What's the purpose? Do you mean gas? Oil doesn't ignite at that compression even with spark. Perhaps you have a motor with bad rings and the oil gives compression a bump to fire the fuel air mix. Sounds like you need to do a compression check to determine the health of the motor. 

Yes I pull the choke, the engine doesn't smoke and it pulls hard. The top end isn't bad. It fires right up the rest of the week I'm home. I'm just stumped on why I have to do it so often.

Propose is to lube the rings because they dry out and didn't hold compression. Looks like I'll have to do a compression check then.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/902888-compression-testing-a-drz400-e-before-purchase/

"automatic compression release on the exhaust cam for starting". Anyone know what this is????

It's a mechanism that slightly opens up one exhaust valve to release some compression, and make it easier for the starter to turn over the engine. Once the engine is at idle the auto decomp mechanism will no longer slightly depress that one exhaust valve, so it'll run with full compression.

So I'm guessing if it was that I would have trouble all the time not just when it sits for a week?

How's your oil level?  If the petcock or needle valve is leaking and filling the cylinder with gas while you're away...the fuel can wash the oil film off the cylinder walls resulting in low compression.  Your oil down the plug hole is helping to restore that oil film, helping the rings seal better.  If there is fuel in the oil, this is where I would look. 

You might consider changing the oil before you leave next time, then disconnect and cap off the fuel line and run the carb dry before you park it.  When you get back in 7 days, hook up the gas and see if it fires up on the choke without dumping oil in the cylinder.

So I'm guessing if it was that I would have trouble all the time not just when it sits for a week?

Yeah, I've never heard of the auto decomp mechanism causing the problems you are having.

Edited by Wisconsinite762

How's your oil level?  If the petcock or needle valve is leaking and filling the cylinder with gas while you're away...the fuel can wash the oil film off the cylinder walls resulting in low compression.  Your oil down the plug hole is helping to restore that oil film, helping the rings seal better.  If there is fuel in the oil, this is where I would look. 

You might consider changing the oil before you leave next time, then disconnect and cap off the fuel line and run the carb dry before you park it.  When you get back in 7 days, hook up the gas and see if it fires up on the choke without dumping oil in the cylinder.

gonna try this. ill post in a week!

What a hassle! Just curious, how many miles, what model and what year is your DRZ?

Just pointing out, what tiny bit of oil that gets past the oil rings, isn't what causes the piston rings to seal.  When you assemble a motor, if you put it together with absolutely no oil, it will still have great compression and fire up on the first try.  

That being said, this might be a coincidence.  I would definitely check the carb over first.  Make sure you have good gas in there too.

I still don't know what this guy is experiencing when he goes to start his bike after sitting for a while, is the motor seized? What were the circumstances when he decided to tear the bike down and dump oil down the sparkplug hole, reassemble, then start it?

Maybe he needs to add one of those squeeze  bubble inline pumps like on boat tanks ect.. attached to the nipple on the intake boot where it bolts to the motor .Have a little tank with 2 stroke mixed fuel (for a little oil at startup) , then just give it a couple squeezes before hitting the starter. :smirk:

Or just fix whats wrong .

• Like 1

Well just looked at my petcock and it's a pingel, which is a good expensive petcock but it's a non vacuum one and I never payed attention and thought it was a vacuum one and have been leaving it in the on position the hole time I owned it. About 4 months. Does anyone think that's the problem and I might have had gas leak in the engine washing the oil away??

Well just looked at my petcock and it's a pingel, which is a good expensive petcock but it's a non vacuum one and I never payed attention and thought it was a vacuum one and have been leaving it in the on position the hole time I owned it. About 4 months. Does anyone think that's the problem and I might have had gas leak in the engine washing the oil away??

No, if it was you would have gas in the oil

Vic, please describe the problem you encounter when trying to start the bike. I understand that your oil trick seems to work to make it start but what happens without dumping oil down the plug hole? Does it just turn over without firing? Will it not turn over at all?

Its really hard to diagnose your problem over the internet when we dont have a description of the problem.