Drz guy needs more help from ktm people

So I asked b-4 about 250 vs 350 power thankx to all for the help,now I've looked at a couple and test rode a couple and the 250xcf-w has enough,so far so good. I looked up maintance on the bike and my question is does everyone really toss there piston,rings,and valves,springs that much?do you go by book or when power drops off or seat of pants feel? It's true I may be use to my Drz-e which lasts along time in between rebuilds. I'm not afraid of maintance ,my oil always looks like honey,air box and filter clean,gas with stabil,coolant full ect.and it's starts and runs every time. I'm just trying to make sure what the real deal is out there from people that own them. Oh and my drz feels like a tractor compared to the 250.

Thankx Ed

In my experience with dirtbikes in general:  you can hear when the piston is starting to slap, then it's time for a new one.  Of course the only way to be sure is to disassemble and measure...

The valves are easy, just keep an eye on the clearances.  You can then visually inspect them when the head is off replacing the piston as the ratio of pistons to valves is usually ~2:1 or 3:1.

Clean air filters and clean oil are key to a long lasting bike, especially hot headed race machines.

I would guess you should get at least 150-200 hours from a 250f before you need to do anything with the first piston.

Edited by bikedude987

I own DRZ 400 S and EXC 500. Man, DRZ is great in terms of maintenance, just tank gas and change oil every once in a while. I love this bike but it is good for traveling and seeing places rather than having fun on the bike itself. EXC is a different story, everytime I switch to 500 I am surprised and even frightened of the power it makes. However KTM does bother me in terms on maintenance all the time. Rather small things but still.. Mine is 190h, had the piston changed already.

I used to have a DRZ-400E and a Husaberg FE450.  While I liked the low maintenance of the DRZ, it sat in the shed most of the time.  It was always the last bike to get picked by me or my sons.  Essentially it only got used if both of my boys were able to go riding with me.  The Husaberg was just a lot more fun to ride.  It was lighter and had more precise stearing, making it more fun on the trail.

I then got a KTM 350 and it was even more fun than the Husaberg.  It feels narrower and even easier to maneuver.  It is a joy to ride.

My daughter used to ride a crf230.  She didn't like our old crf250x - she didn't feel safe on it.  But one ride on my 350 and she was hooked.  She felt safe and said; "it goes where I aim".  She now rides a KTM 250.

I have since sold the DRZ and the Husaberg and don't miss them at all since the KTMs are so fun to ride.

In terms of maintenance, for me, it really isn't a big deal.  I think most people get over 200 hours on a top end.  The valves seem to stay put much longer than they did on my crf250x.  Since you already have the discipline to clean the air filter and change the oil, I don't think maintenance will be a problem for you.  If you do a lot of racing you may want to check the valves fairly often, but if you are a recreational rider like me the bike should be very reliable.

• Like 1

If you maintain the KTM properly.....clean air filter, oil and filter changes and you don't race.....then you can easily get 200 hours on the engine...145 on mine and running beautifully.

Depending on your weight and how hard you "drive" the bike....you may want to consider a 350.  If your on the heavy side and love the "Braaaapp"... the 350 will not have to work as hard as the 250 to give you the same performance.  Also a bigger re-sale market I believe (not that you want to base your decision too heavily on that).

I come in at 180#ish ,don't race but can ride good enough that I don't want less power! So I had first thought that that a 250 was enough but after listening to posts on this one and one other post and a couple test rides the 350 it is !!

Thank you.

• Like 1

I turn rpm on the ktm 500 like a cr250 2 stroke ,  the only difference Ive found between the DRZ and the KTM (maintenance wear wise) ,  is the oil changes , that's it, otherwise both bikes receive the same maintenance.

The ktm actually has a much stronger valve train than the DRZ, I have 200 hours or 10,0000 + miles, haven't adjusted a valve yet.

I don't run crap filter oil that breaks down in water(bio degradable), Run high viscosity oil,  I run lead, I keep wheel bearings lubed, spokes tight, that's about it other than setup and routine checks.

Really  the piston is the same as the drz, (being forged), the only question for me is the Single compression ring on the ktm.  I mainly rely on clean air and lead, for top end wear.

Edited by Spud786

So true!! Some how I got the ok from my wife to get a new one,so the ktm 350 xcfw or the Husky fe350 appears to be the w-4stroke motor in x-chassis. Both are within 200.00 of each other. Any thoughts?

I don't know anything about the 2 bikes you just mentioned...however...I DO love my EXC500 !!!..... :thinking:  ?  ?  ?

• Like 1

So true!! Some how I got the ok from my wife to get a new one,so the ktm 350 xcfw or the Husky fe350 appears to be the w-4stroke motor in x-chassis. Both are within 200.00 of each other. Any thoughts?

I have a 15' 350 EXC-F and It's the best bike I have owned. Either of the machines you mentioned are nice but the KTM is easier to get parts for (IMO I may be wrong) because they sell so many of them. Many places will have KTM parts available on site because of so many owners. I have never had a husky but I sure have heard good things about them. Your wife sounds like a keeper. 

• Like 1

I was thinking about parts and if it would be harder to get so I was all ready looking toward orange,parts can be an issue as I seem to like my dirt naps!!! Saw other threads on 350 vs 500, I think I'm still in the 350 camp however and yes dirt350 I'm lucky in the wife dept. I think that she's ok with dirt bikes as the get-offs are at 4 mph on tight single track and not a big chance of getting hurt too bad (I know it can happen) however she see's street bikes in a different light and with all the people texting that I yell at when I'm on the street she's not totally wrong there,not sure I'll give it up till her hammer drops (so to speak!)

• Like 1