Sign in to follow this  

Front steering feels horrible

So i recently changed my tyres on the bike as the nobbies were pretty well worn on my old firelli mx tyres

I decided to put dunlop d605 on which was 50-50 on/offroad. Straightaway on my first ride i felt a huge difference and it seemed as though the bike was harder to handle in the dirt. Like i ride through one rut and the bike wants to do its own thing. This is how i fell off and supposedly bent my forks.

So i changed the front tyre to a dunlop d606 which is a more nobbier tyre than the 605. But once again it feels horrible! I used to fly through single trails but now i have to take it really steady or ill fall, especially around corners.

Tyre pressure is at a good 15psi which should be perfect for trails, and the tyres get plenty of time to warm up on the road to my trails.

I wonder if this is because im not used to new tyres yet, as i rode with worn ones for quite a while. But even still, i have ridden bikes with new tyres and they were 1000 times better than how my drz is.

Does anyome know why this could be happening? Could something possibly be playing up with the steering??

• Like 1

I never put a tire on that I don't think will work, especially the front. Even if the tire might hook up well, if my brain doesn't like it's look, I'll ride like shit. If your that way, and your still having alignment issues [are you?], those 2 things could be affecting you enough mentally to where your going to ride poorly

May want to try changing the sag. This changes the trail which has the biggest effect on steering. The easy way is to raise/lower the clamps on the forks. Raising the front slows down and stabilizes steering, dropping the front makes it quicker and flightier. Conversely, raising the rear makes it quicker, and lowering it makes it more stable.

If the first pair of tires was a knobby front and a worn rear, it's going to have sit taller in the front and lower in the rear. When you go to a fresh rear and a lower front, it's going to steer quicker ...

Not sure if this is what you're seeing, but definitely look into it. (If this is the rabbit hole you're looking for, it ends with you revalving the suspension because it's too soft and front wheel trail is all over the place :) )

• Like 3

So i recently changed my tyres on the bike as the nobbies were pretty well worn on my old firelli mx tyres

I decided to put dunlop d605 on which was 50-50 on/offroad. Straightaway on my first ride i felt a huge difference and it seemed as though the bike was harder to handle in the dirt. Like i ride through one rut and the bike wants to do its own thing. This is how i fell off and supposedly bent my forks.

So i changed the front tyre to a dunlop d606 which is a more nobbier tyre than the 605. But once again it feels horrible! I used to fly through single trails but now i have to take it really steady or ill fall, especially around corners.

Tyre pressure is at a good 15psi which should be perfect for trails, and the tyres get plenty of time to warm up on the road to my trails.

I wonder if this is because im not used to new tyres yet, as i rode with worn ones for quite a while. But even still, i have ridden bikes with new tyres and they were 1000 times better than how my drz is.

Does anyome know why this could be happening? Could something possibly be playing up with the steering??

the drz is known for washing the front (sudden instant, loss of traction) end out. the best way to prevent it is to:

set your sag properly

air tires down (you already have) to 14-15psi

sit forward to put more weight on the front end

use the front brake (sounds crazy, but try it) to put more weight bias on the front tire

if you neglected to align the forks/axle after the tire change, it would be a good idea to make sure that stiction in the fork tubes isn't a problem. the front end should slide easily up and down without any bump bump bump throughout the range. if it does have sticky spots, loosen the axle pinch bolts, and jump up and down on the bike a few times, then tighten again. then loosen the fork tubes, and spin them 1-2 revolutions in the triple trees and repeat the axle process. 

any bind in the front end will cause all kinds of crappy off road performance. 

a d-605 is not a tire i would put on a drz unless it was for looks. that's a dualsport tire, but barely, more like a street tire with a pattern that LOOKS like a ds tire. 

the 606 should be better, but a full on knobby front works very well off road. narrow tires work great in the woods. i prefer narrow to wide for the flickability of the entire bike. 

• Like 4

I initially also fell for the on line hype of how great the 606 was. My experience was the same as yours except it was the first tire I put on my bike. With a limited income I was stuck with them until they wore out. I actually rode them for a while thinking it was either myself or the bike that sucked. I'll go on record to save the next person some heart ache. 606 SUCK ON THE DRZ THE FRONT IS THE WORST HANDELING DIRT TIRE IVE EVER USED! I actually think the trailing front was a better off road tire.

• Like 2

I found that the carcass is so hard on the 606 tire that the only way I could get any confidence was to run it at 8psi :jawdrop:

• Like 2

The D606 front was awful on the woodsy type trails around here.  Took it off after the second ride and put on a real knobby (anybody pays shipping the 606 is yours free).  If you have to use it do as suggested and air it down off road.  You will need a rim lock if you don't already have one.  

Edited by npm
  • Like 3

Frankly, I don't understand the "dualsport" / "adventure bike" tires. I run Mitas XT-644s which are KNOBBIES with tall knobs, but with a sticky compound and a dense knob pattern so they work really well on the street. I'll never use anything less aggressive on anything that does any off-asphalt riding.

• Like 3

Frankly, I don't understand the "dualsport" / "adventure bike" tires. I run Mitas XT-644s which are KNOBBIES with tall knobs, but with a sticky compound and a dense knob pattern so they work really well on the street. I'll never use anything less aggressive on anything that does any off-asphalt riding.

I run the Mitas E09's for my quasi street tires and I love them, best 80-20 (dirt/street) tire I've found.  When I'm serious on the dirt I'm running full knobs and different gearing.  

• Like 2

The 606 is junk on anything but pavement. For mild trail riding about the least aggressive tire I'd consider would be an Mt-21, maybe a Shinko 244.

Grant

• Like 2

I have to agree with the others. The D606 is just not quite the right tire for off road in the front. The Kenda TrakMaster 2 would do better. So many other brands would do better up front. And as Anthon said proper static and race sag is also important. Suspension setup is key in so many ways to get the bike to behave. And most important of all... It's the Indian. Not the arrow. Learning to ride your tires no matter what type or brand is far more important. I have seen a rider use a Buell going through the Mohave Desert Preserve on street tires better than others on the trip with knobbies. A lot is in the Indian if you know what I mean.

• Like 4

I found that the carcass is so hard on the 606 tire that the only way I could get any confidence was to run it at 8psi :jawdrop:

this  ^^^ 

i agree with the others. the shink 244, d606, and others are great street or gravel road tires. when anyone says OFF ROAD i usually ask them to please define what offroad means to them. a LOT of people will be refering to a two lane road that is gravel/dirt, and normally traveled by cars. this is fine for DS tires, or even street tires dependong on condition. OFFROAD requires knobbies to carry any kind of speed or confidence, from my experiences. 

i normally run a sedona (hard tire) up front and a trials tire (shinko sr241) for the rear. the rear is an extremely long wearing tire with great traction in off road conditiions with similar handling characteristics to the 606 or 244 while on road. it hates mud, but performs well every where else. 

there are so many good (and cheap!) knobbies i wouldn't waste any time with a DS tire for the front. 

• Like 1

I didn't like the D606, either. I found the rear to be ok, but the front was terrible. I like the Pirelli XCMH or Scorpion Pro for the front and have had good luck with a variety of rear knobbies. Current, I have a Kenda Washougal on the rear.

• Like 3

May want to try changing the sag. This changes the trail which has the biggest effect on steering. The easy way is to raise/lower the clamps on the forks. Raising the front slows down and stabilizes steering, dropping the front makes it quicker and flightier. Conversely, raising the rear makes it quicker, and lowering it makes it more stable.

If the first pair of tires was a knobby front and a worn rear, it's going to have sit taller in the front and lower in the rear. When you go to a fresh rear and a lower front, it's going to steer quicker ...

Not sure if this is what you're seeing, but definitely look into it. (If this is the rabbit hole you're looking for, it ends with you revalving the suspension because it's too soft and front wheel trail is all over the place :) )

if it is to do with the sag then how did it go out of place in the first place? Also is there a recommendation for how high to raise the front up? I currently have it set at the standard height

if it is to do with the sag then how did it go out of place in the first place? Also is there a recommendation for how high to raise the front up? I currently have it set at the standard height

Tightening your chain changes your sag, so does your weight gain/loss

I'm not 100% confident that you're having issues with sag, but it's very interesting to mess around with sag.

Basically you can raise the front up as high as you can clamp the yokes on the forks! It does raise the bike up so if it becomes uncomfortably tall you may want to adjust the preload in the rear instead.

But just go for it - at least if you like to mess around with things at least a little bit. It's VERY interesting! Promise! :)

I initially also fell for the on line hype of how great the 606 was. My experience was the same as yours except it was the first tire I put on my bike. With a limited income I was stuck with them until they wore out. I actually rode them for a while thinking it was either myself or the bike that sucked. I'll go on record to save the next person some heart ache. 606 SUCK ON THE DRZ THE FRONT IS THE WORST HANDELING DIRT TIRE IVE EVER USED! I actually think the trailing front was a better off road tire.

How did the bike feel with the 606 on? Did it feel harder to steer??

How did the bike feel with the 606 on? Did it feel harder to steer??

I didn't notice a difference in how hard it steered, But I surely noticed the front end washing out. In-fact 5 minutes after putting the tire on I almost lost it in my gravel driveway. My buddy had just bought the same tires an I remember calling him up to tell him I think I liked the trailing front better.

Just stiffer fork springs would really help (unless you weigh 120 lbs).  Along with a 80/100/21 Kenda Trakmaster.

• Like 1

I didn't like the D606, either. I found the rear to be ok, but the front was terrible. I like the Pirelli XCMH or Scorpion Pro for the front and have had good luck with a variety of rear knobbies. Current, I have a Kenda Washougal on the rear.

I have that same tire on the rear and love it. 120-100-18. I have a Dunlop MX52 on the front end and it also works great.

Always reading these threads for that one person with same riding area who loves a certain tire........

• Like 2