Oil Injection

I have been a supporter for oil injection & have been enjoying it on my X-Trainer but after yesterday, I am not so sure. At the end of a 25 mile trail ride my yellow light came on intermittently while on the road for a short distance at about 35 MPH & the bike sounded like it was seizing a bit. I think I was close to hitting reserve & saw a bubble in my clear gas filter. Maybe I was boiling the gas? But why would my light come on? It doesn't know how much gas is in the tank.

From what I understand, the way it works is; There is a pump in the air box hooked up to the computer that combines rpm info & info from the throttle position sensor. That info tells it to pump & how much. That quantity drips into the carb boot. The red light comes on via a float in the oil tank when its low. I am assuming that the yellow malfunction light comes on when there is an electrical resistance problem meaning the pump isn't pumping properly for the info it's receiving from the TPS & computer? I believe the yellow light is controlled by (From the ELECTRICAL DIAGRAM);

33)  DIAGNOSIS RELAY

39)  OIL PUMP ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT 

It seemed fine after I washed it & rode it on the street to dry it off but I didn't like that sound & am getting nervous & thinking of running premix until I get some answers. There should never be a situation when i hear it seizing.

Edited by Bedunjgi

I have been a supporter for oil injection & have been enjoying it on my X-Trainer but after yesterday, I am not so sure. At the end of a 25 mile trail ride my yellow light came on intermittently while on the road for a short distance at about 35 MPH & the bike sounded like it was seizing a bit. I think I was close to hitting reserve & saw a bubble in my clear gas filter. Maybe I was boiling the gas? But why would my light come on? It doesn't know how much gas is in the tank.

From what I understand, the way it works is; There is a pump in the air box hooked up to the computer that combines rpm info & info from the throttle position sensor. That info tells it to pump & how much. That quantity drips into the carb boot. The red light comes on via a float in the oil tank when its low. I am assuming that the yellow malfunction light comes on when there is an electrical resistance problem meaning the pump isn't pumping properly for the info it's receiving from the TPS & computer? I believe the yellow light is controlled by (From the ELECTRICAL DIAGRAM);

33)  DIAGNOSIS RELAY

39)  OIL PUMP ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT 

It seemed fine after I washed it & rode it on the street to dry it off but I didn't like that sound & am getting nervous & thinking of running premix until I get some answers. There should never be a situation when i hear it seizing.

Can't you download the service manual from Beta's website ?

from page 29 of manual:

7.3 Mixer system indicator light 3 (on left) When you start the vehicle, the system performs a diagnosis check, while the indicator lights for 10 seconds. If the indicator comes on during normal operation, it tndicates a fault in the mixer system. In this case stop the engine immediately, empty the fuel tank and refuel with mixture at 1.6%. Then go to an authorized Betamotor service as soon as possible.

7.4 Mixer oil reserve indicator light 4 (on right)  If the warning light comes on, refuel as soon as possible. The mixer tank reserve is indicated on page 10. Refuel with special oil as indicated in the “Table of Lubricants and Recommended Liquids” on page 16.

Power Plus 2 Cycle Oil 100% Synthetic. I just called the place I buy it from & he shook a bottle of it & a bottle of Motul 710 & said they have the same viscosity.

IMHO, that's quite scientific, lol! 

I am one of those that believes the oil injection system is great, but give your bike the right oil, I mean really, shaking the bottle to determine the life-blood of your motor, hmmm...

• Like 1

The pump is most definitely in the air box which gave me a pause for worry on the 250RR.  Is the electrical connector sealed and impervious to water and contamination?  I'm going to take a close look at mine and do what's needed to make sure a faulty connector doesn't develop.  Your problem appears to be intermittient or one-time event so that's why I'm thinking electrical connector.

The plug has a rubber seal inside.

The pump is most definitely in the air box which gave me a pause for worry on the 250RR.  Is the electrical connector sealed and impervious to water and contamination?  I'm going to take a close look at mine and do what's needed to make sure a faulty connector doesn't develop.  Your problem appears to be intermittient or one-time event so that's why I'm thinking electrical connector.

On saturday I climbed a long hill at high RPM in second & backed off the throttle because I didnt like the sound. I climbed it again in 3rd & it was much better. Could I have hit the rev limit? Not enough lubrication? Normal sound? I am still getting used to the sounds & thought most was just chain slap but anotther local X-Trainer owner thinks they are hearing detonation.

A few other pieces of the puzzle is that I had turned the exhaust valve screw flush at the beginning of the ride to see its effect. Also, when I finished my ride, I noticed that the petcock was turned almost all the way off & I cant remember if I turned it manually or maybe hit it with my knee & that had caused it to run lean at the end? It still wouldnt make the light come on though.