Sign in to follow this  

Does this mean the ignition coil is going bad?

Looking at my 94 Honda xr650l service manual today because my bike suddenly died....then would restart only to die several other times after running for only a few seconds.  Let us rule out the carb just for now.  I started checking all my ignition connections and components and then I ran across this.

The book says that this coil should be tested at 68 degrees (it may have been a little warmer when I tested it, like 75 degrees) and the ohm value should be between 6.5 to 9.7 when you connect the meter leads to the green secondary part of the coil and the spark plug boot (where the spark plug would snap onto the spark plug).

The ohm value I got was much lower.  I tested it 3 times and came up with values of 1.5, 1.4 and 1.3,  does this mean the coil is getting ready to die.

When I tested the primary side of the coil it measure fine, within the range according to the book.

Thanks for any help, and if you need a specification on this bike, let me know.

If someone reoved the resistor in the cap and installed a piece of steel or copper riod to replace it,,it`ll show low,the cap is supposed to have  a 5k ohm resistor in it...

B

Edited by brianhare
  • Like 1