Sign in to follow this  

The missing cherry bomb

Hi guys. Sorry I &%$#@!ed up with making this thread. But heres my question. ..... rmx450z. I have just bought the bike. This is my 1st enduro/dirt bike. I noticed when I was in my garage withe the engine running the yoshimura front pipe (full system fitted from new by previous owner by main dealer) was glowing cherry red in the matter of 40 seconds on fast idle. By all accounts this is normal as the front pipe is so thin. ( titanium I think). I spoke to the company last week who the guy bought the bike new off with the system fitted. They mentioned a cherry bomb should be fitted in conjunction with the yoshi system. I scoured the bike yesterday looking for this thing. They mentioned in the left hand side behind airbox. Theres a blank white plug with 6 wires going into it. Looking at various pictures on line this looka like it could be the plug. But no cherry bomb! !!! Now im not really worried as if the bike was gonna blow due to running too lean it would of done it by now. What I wanted to know is am I def in the right place. And has any1 fitted these yoshi systems without a power commander of cherry bomb type thing and got on ok? I pulled the plug when the bike was apart as I was fitting a ibis tank. If anything the plug looks like its running cold.. cant get my head around it. I don't want to waste 325 pounds on a pc5 if I dont really need 1. All that really got me interested in this is that I saw the front pipe glowing when I was working on the bike in my garage. Thanks

Yes that's it, They run a lean condition without it! Highly recommend fitting one. From memory it was under a hundred bucks and i ordered through my Suzuki dealer. Although you could do a search for the part number online and maybe save a few bucks!  The Yoshi part number is 446-186-0000 

Isn't it just a resistor that plugs into your harness between two of the wires to change the timing? Seems like you could make this item for just a couple bucks if you know the value of the resistor.

Hi guys. The yoshi system was fitted from new by a reputable dealer here in uk. I rang them a few days ago and explained how I couldn't find the cherry bomb. They then rang up yoshi. And said as the new systems are that good yoshi dont even supply a cherry bomb with the exhaust system anymore. Altho they agree fueling will be out and it will run lean alittle. It wont be enough to &%$#@! the motor and well within the parameters. Now I have the yoshi part number (thanks hongie67) im gonna buy 1. Every1 over here can sell me a power commander5 but they are 325ukp which in my eyes is way too much, then I still need the dyno time to dial it in. As said im the second owner. The guy I bought this bike off spent a fortune on it and if the guys at the workshop told him he needed somthing he would of bought it. BUT im def gonna get a cherry bomb for my own piece of mind.

Edited by boostsp

Hi Guys, sorry to burst in like this, i am looking to put a full Yoshi system on my 2015 RMX450Z and can not find the part number anywhere... Yoshimura website only listing systems for the 2010 - 2011 models...

Much appreciate if any one who can share information on this one

Thanks!

Oran

Right here we go... I have full yoshi. They dont make the cherrys for them anymore as yoshi say the pipes are tuned too well. Mine ran lean. I have bought a pc5 for the bike now. Its a 2014 rmx450z. Bike runs alot better. U may get away without buying a CB/PC5. Me front pipe was glowing cherry red within seconds without the pc5. It wasnt right. Way too lean. If the yoshi u fit pop's and bangs on overun u will need a pc5 buddy

• Like 1

Sorry I got confused with what u asked there. I cant help on this subject. Thanks

The Yosh Cherry Bomb is just a jumper wire (not a resistor), it works just like the different couplers that come with any new RMZ-450.  Which is that it just tells the ECU to use a different preprogrammed EFI map, this is what got Suzuki into trouble with selling the bike in the US and why it's not available in the US today (long story).

You may not "need" the Cherry bomb, but you "want" the bomb. From what I can remember the map really wakes the bike up.  It's possible that if a mechanic with enough skill really looked over the Yosh Cherry Bomb he could make one as you only need to connect the two wires that the bomb does to get the ECU to switch over to the performance map

Hi all

I bought cherry bomb for my RMX'2012

I did all the manual said - put out silencer from the pipe and some other things and of course connect the cherry bomb.

For me - I can't feel the difference between with bomb and without

Maybe these 7 hp can be viewed on the dyno, but I can't see them.

And no effect on low-rpm - I still have a problem of stalling on the low-low speed riding, so need to be good in using clutch 

I made little experiment with the multimeter and got the info, that this cherry bomb isn't a resistor, so maybe just two connected wires

So everyone can make it on his own - just knowing what 2 of 6 wires should be connected.

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=31731.0;

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=31731.0;

Edited by Jack James