Bought my first Drz 400 but oil was really low

Hi all hope this is the correct section.

I have just bought a Drz 400 sm 2008 . full service history was last serviced 2000 miles ago . Soon as it was delivered before I had my first ride I decided to check fluids etc .Following owners book and advice on here . Start up warm up bike small run came back left 3 min and check oil while bike vertical. Nothing in the end it took almost a ltr to get this correct . Went for first proper little ride came back turned off bike left for 3 mins checked oil level now spot on . My worry now is the bike sounds and seems to run good but must have only had around 800ml of oil in it . Will this have caused any engine damage .do I need to worry or check anything else or should it be ok now having oil at the right level ?

Thanks

I personally would drain it all, and measure how much came out. Then you can work out what it had by subtracting the litre you put in. Re-fill with 1.8l (i think thats correct). Although i think if it was low, all you can do now is just correct it and ride.

Im no expert, so what im about to say could be completely wrong, but i think over time when the bike has not been running, all of the oil drips down into the crank case. This could be why you wasnt getting a correct reading (if the bike wasnt started for some time), even after starting the bike and running for 3 mins.

When i got my bike, the oil wasnt showing on the dipstick, but when i drained it, it seemed to be enough oil that came out. The bike hadnt been run for a couple months.

Again, im not 100% sure on that but im sure someone else will let you know.

• Like 1

Just drain it (believe me when I got my DRZ I drained almost 4 liters of oil,)

Take Note of the 2 drain plugs..

and put 2 liters in it...procedure is in the FAQ..

and you should always change the oil of new vehicles (to us) anyways..

The less than $10 worth of oil is worth the peace of mind you willl get.

Happy Riding..

Edited by guitarmusiczone
  • Like 1

its just a big 'procedure' and actually getting it right takes breaking the manual out lol, and other factors probably affect it to like using the wrong weight of oil or if it was checked on the stand ect ect .... like said, change the oil often and you know whats in it ..

Edited by cowpie
  • Like 1

Can the DRZ400 oil be accurately checked on a hot engine, as in when stopping for fuel-----Yes, best time to do it. Wait time is not critical. 30 seconds id fine.
Or must it be only checked after starting and running a cold engine for 3 minutes, then waiting another three, as per manual?-------This actually does not always work.  Above is better
My car has a dry sump system, but oil can be checked anytime--------What car?
  •  
Edited by Noble

Well took my bike for a spin to get it warmed up then drained all the oil out as suggested . There was exactly 1700ml so it was bang on . I had put in 1000ml to get it to the correct level so this confirms the bike only had 700 ml of oil in I'm surprised it hadn't seized up

Clogan - I did not know a Corvette had a dry sump.  But I have not had much to do with cars for some time.  Last small block Chevy was a 78 Van sold in 2001.

scuba - low on oil is not good but no reason to think it was actually starved for oil.  The thing about a DRZ low on oil is the oil that remans gets over worked, breaks down more quickly, more concentration of contaminates, more heat.  Change it, monitor consumption, probably fine.  The general consensus is to use good synthetic oil for motor cycle application and change it 1000 mile intervals.  You might find consumption is quite small following that regimen.

Edited by Noble