Sign in to follow this  

Have I put my shift lever too low?

I removed the rubber rests from the top of my stock footpegs and as a result my feet naturally sit a bit lower relative to the shift lever. When I rode around, the shifter just felt far too high, like I would need to really muscle it up (even in boots). So I lowered it by a single spline and it's now infinitely more comfortable, but I've never seen a drz with the shift lever low like mine (it sits below the engine case - if I bent it, it would go under the case rather than into it); so I'm not sure whether there's something wrong with my setup that I just haven't realised yet? This might be a pretty stupid question, but I'd rather ask anyway. Thanks!

I removed the rubber rests from the top of my stock footpegs and as a result my feet naturally sit a bit lower relative to the shift lever. When I rode around, the shifter just felt far too high, like I would need to really muscle it up (even in boots). So I lowered it by a single spline and it's now infinitely more comfortable, but I've never seen a drz with the shift lever low like mine (it sits below the engine case - if I bent it, it would go under the case rather than into it); so I'm not sure whether there's something wrong with my setup that I just haven't realised yet? This might be a pretty stupid question, but I'd rather ask anyway. Thanks!

Everybody is individual in what feels comfortable, if it works for you, leave it, as long as there is no clearance issues, should be all good.

• Like 3

I was going to ask about raising mine up.  I recently bought the bike and don't have many miles on it.  I have big feet so I ended up with Alpinestar Tech 1 boots in a size 16.  The rise over the top of my foot during an up-shift is fine, but I have to drop my toes so far down to drop the shifter back in to gear that I often keep it out of gear.  I am looking at raising the lever up one spline to allow for my big boots.  I also removed the rubber peg covers in an attempt to get my feet lower under the shifter.

Thoughts?

KQUAD - 16's wow, you probably need a different shift lever.  Longer accessory lever.

forsaN - odd that you can get your foot under the lever that low but if it works for you then OK

• Like 1

I run mine one spline down also. never any problems and if I crash it wont put a hole in my case. win win.

• Like 2

I was going to ask about raising mine up.  I recently bought the bike and don't have many miles on it.  I have big feet so I ended up with Alpinestar Tech 1 boots in a size 16.  The rise over the top of my foot during an up-shift is fine, but I have to drop my toes so far down to drop the shifter back in to gear that I often keep it out of gear.  I am looking at raising the lever up one spline to allow for my big boots.  I also removed the rubber peg covers in an attempt to get my feet lower under the shifter.

Thoughts?

This is what you need.

http://www.amazon.com/MSR-FLDING-Complete-Systems-DRZ400/dp/B000GZLH3I

Thanks for the link.

I guess on the plus side, I can ride with my feet on the pegs and my heels on the rear peg support.  Hillbilly cruiser pegs I guess.

When you shift do u leave your foot on the peg or lift it up? I ride off-road so I lift up completely (especially when standing) and I stand on the balls of my feet and move my foot each time to hit brake or shifter so your needs may be different. Ride what's comfortable because everyone has different needs; just like clutch lever and front brake angle.

Kquad i run the msr plus 1 lever and love it. I did try to raise it one spline to make it easier to get my boot under but it was hitting and would not upshift. Not sure if the factory lever would have the same clearance issue or not.

• Like 1

put a straight edge from the peg to the lever. if it bisects the lever, or is close, that's about right. one spline up or down usually accounts for the rider's preference in position... on a dualsport

I was running 1 spline down.

but when I started offroading once in a while, I had to put it back up because my offroad boot are bigger.

I'ved get used to have it up (stock) since then. (one thing less to adjust when swaping wheels)

Edited by maxpat82

I think I might change it back to stock. The 1 spline down only feels comfortable if I really ride right up on the bike, really close to the tank, but not anywhere else. I guess I'll have to deal with difficult upshifts (which is weird considering I have big feet). If I could put the shift lever half a spline down that'd be perfect.