Would/ do you trust Harbor Freight torque wrench's?

I tested mine(1/4, 3/8, and 1/2) against my buddys snapon and couldnt tell a difference. That said I test it every few months or so to be sure it stayed calibrated and I wouldnt assume it came from the store set up properly. If I was a professional mechanic I would have the ones that cost 10 times as much but for me it doesnt make sense whatsoever.

Edited by CRFRida1605
  • Like 1

I'm a Test Engineer.  I have a torque calibrator at work.

Also have three HFT torque wrenches at home. 

Out of curiosity, I took them to work a while ago. 

They're not as accurate as our CDI wrenches at work, but they're within tolerance for motorcycles/snowmobiles and surprisingly repeatable. 

If you're assembling aircraft/spacecraft, or need NIST traceability.... you know what?  Spend a few bucks and buy the good stuff.

For a weekend-warrior wrenching on a dirt bike, snowmobile, ATV, even car/truck... the HFT stuff's fine.

Repeatability's what's important.  Doesn't matter that the head bolts are torqued exactly to the spec, but rather that they're all torqued closely to each other and within an acceptable range.  The HFT stuff does that.

600532-dmm-accuracy_715x360-01.jpg

• Like 5

I trust my hand more.

only time I ever use a torque wrench is for the 4 head studs.  the rest is by feel.

your brain and common sense are sometimes a lot better/more accurate than some generic number in a book and a worn out, old cheap chinese torque wrench. 

I have all three. The 1/2" and 3/8" seem to work fine but there have been times the 1/4" went past the setting without clicking so I'm reluctant to use it. Maybe it's defective or my technique is wrong. I don't want to break off a head bolt inside the cylinder so I use my trusty old Craftsman beam torque wrench instead.

I torque far more than just head studs, if it moves it gets proper torque 

I'm with you, Mr. Blah. Can't just go to HD or Lowes for fasteners on anything anymore. I have been using Precision Instruments split beam for many years. Used to get them checked by a friend at the airport, but they never needed calibration. So I continue to use them correctly, take care of them, and use them religiously.