Spotlights O_O

Howdy folks,

So I picked up some cheap 2 x 6 LED 18w spotlights on eBay for $28.50. Thought I'll try them on the bike with the stock stator and if no good I'll use them on the car.

Mounted the lights and ran independent wiring so I could switch them on and off independent to running them into the high beams. The reason I did this is that I want to try and work it so around town I can use the stock low beam, but switching to high beam would cut out stock light all together and only run the spot lights - hopefully reducing the draw on the system.

So, currently I have wired them up separate and kept the stock setup also. Bike idling/low beam, the battery reads 12.55v, switching the spot lights on with stock low beam reads 12.15v.

I know 12.15v will run the battery flat, but switching the h4 off and running only the spot lights should bring it back up over 12.55v - as the h4 should use much more power than LED (I'm guessing).

Would the stock light/indicator switch block be able to be wired so the low beam would use the h4 low beam, then flick it to high to cut the h4 out all together and switch it to the spot lights?

Any ideas on how to work this would be great, I'm running seriously low on room on the bars.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446379447.331279.jpg

^ spot light beam - no h4

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446379497.700575.jpg

^ mounted

By memory the it went to 12.35v or something like that.

Thanks Scally44.

Looking at LED H4 globes but the only decent ones I can find are 80w which is more draw than the stock 55/60w. I found some 10w ones but they're from Hong Kong and very cheap.

I'd also have to convert the light from AC to DC power - but I'm not entirely sure how to do that yet.

You will need to get the led rectifier if you are not going to run the light off your battery.  On the rectifier you will have ac power in and dc rectified power out but if it is not off your battery it will flicker a little at idle like your stock light but will be bright as shizzle.  I would wire it off your battery and save a couple of bucks. 

Had a look last night, I think I'm going to run the light off the battery via the key & use the stock switch block the bike comes with (guessing the US models don't come with it because it's not in the workshop manual I have). Key off = no lights / Key on + low switch = low beam only / key on + high switch = spot lights only (no headlight). Just have to remember to key off when I stop for a break on a ride.