Sign in to follow this  

First KTM and first trail bike.

Just picked up my first trail bike a 2015 KTM 500 EXC. I was looking at the wr250r but thought I would really miss the power I'm used to ( I race sportbikes ). Then I came across a deal on the KTM and didn't even think twice about it haha.

So far I have 8hours on the bike. 2 are road and 6 are trails. On the road I enjoy the power the bike has. It feels peppier than any bike I have ridden yet it is very controllable.

On the trails I really like the low end torque the bike has. I don't have to rev it out at all to do anything which keeps me relaxed since it is a new experience for me. The bike can start to get away from me in whoop sections and quick turn areas but as long as I cover the clutch it is controllable.

Mods I've done are:

14 48 sprockets ( stock are to high )

EE bark busters ( saved my hands/ levers numerous times already)

EE Skid Plate ( I like my cases )

Thinking about getting the EU map but have no desire for more power however running richer sounds better than lean. Also increased throttle response. ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446385287.286210.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446385306.477884.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446385323.836149.jpgImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446385339.711780.jpg

• Like 3

Yep bikes are amazing looks like all you need is tps mod, that will change throttle response and richen it up, block the smog stuff, maybe some sicass blinkers in back. have fun.

Edited by allout48
  • Like 2

There's a great thread here on TPS adjustments, and you can find a link to the thread and other info at www.tpstool.com .  In short, it's a quick and easy tweak to get more fuel.  It really helps with the stock EXC map.  Also check out the G2 throttle tamer throttle tube if you ride in the tight stuff, and a different rear tire will help a ton if you ride in soft dirt.  Enjoy!

Congrats! Nothing like going all out for your first trail bike. Since its your first bike and you're still getting used to it I'd recommend leaving the motor alone and get some seat time. You can tweak the TPS to fatten it up if it's running hot or you think too lean, but there will be plenty of time to monkey with maps, programmers, pulling smog and canisters, etc. think you picked a pretty good all around gearing. Enjoy!

I did the TPS tool mod to my KTM and it made a huge difference in performance. I highly recommend. Your bike is a nice one, you definitely went straight to the top in power. I got the 350 and I love it. Congratulations on your purchase.

• Like 1

Cool I might try the TPS mod tomorrow. Anyone do it without the volt reader? I'm guessing I will be able to tell with the idle sound.

• Like 1

Cool I might try the TPS mod tomorrow. Anyone do it without the volt reader? I'm guessing I will be able to tell with the idle sound.

There are a couple of ways to do it with a meter, and a couple of tools to choose from.  Whatever method you choose I do not recommend doing it without a meter attached.  It's super sensitive and the odds of putting it in a bad spot and not being able to get back to the right spot are pretty big.  It's sensitive enough that just tightening the screw can change the setting by enough to affect how it runs.  If you have a meter attached it's super simple, but I personally would not do it without some type of meter. 

Edited by sirthumpalot

If you don't have anything at all, I picked up this little meter from Amazon to test as something to bundle with the TPS Tools and compared to my good Fluke, this little meter was actually reasonably accurate, plenty accurate for adjusting the TPS:

http://www.amazon.com/ADM02-Ranging-Digital-Multimeter-Voltage/dp/B00K8BI3IW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446427097&sr=8-3&keywords=bside

Bundle that with the TPS Tool and when you're done with your TPS you've got a nice little multi meter to toss in your toolbox. :) 

You will have a mess on your hands if you do not use a meter. It is super sensitive as others have said. Mine ended up at .64 and that was the sweet spot for me. I bought the tps tool online because my skills in electrical are marginal at best. It's the best mod I have done so far. I think you would be real impressed with the difference. It helps with the popping on decel and it seems like my engine does not run hot anymore. It was super easy to do as well.

• Like 1

I saw on youtube a guy just pushed a paperclip in the connecter for the yellow and orange wire for the ecu to get the tps voltage. Anyone else done that?

Edited by akosi

I just euro mapped my bike.   I'm assuming the tps gets adjusted through the new mapping?   Is that right?

No, that's actually different. In short, the TPS does what it says, tells the ECU exactly how much throttle you're giving it. The ECU looks up the throttle position on the map and combined with some other data calculates how much fuel to put in. Changing the map can change how much fuel to put in at any given throttle position. Adjusting the TPS can make the ECU think you're giving it a little more (or less) throttle than you are resulting in a little more or less fuel going in. Both adjustments can alter the fueling. A new map gives you more control, but I've also heard from people with different maps that tweaking the TPS still made improvements, though not as drastic as tweaking the TPS on the stock exc map.

Here's what I did. Instead of jamming a paper clip in the harness I used a T-Tap. I can remove it and put shrink wrap around the small cut in the wire when I want to. I was at .61 stock and went to .63 I'm going to see how that works on the trails. Hoping for increased throttle response.

The wire I tapped into was Orange with a yellow line.

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446485286.055508.jpg

Edited by akosi