Sign in to follow this  

Help TTR225 bearing race removal

I am having trouble removing the bottom race in the steering neck. There appears to be 2 notches to pull the race downward. I used a slide hammer with a hook attachment but it pops off since it is only grabbing on one side. I have tried using a heat gun to heat the outside of the neck along with the puller but no luck yet. Does anyone have any thoughts or tricks? Any help would be great.

Anyone local that is a mechanic?

Hi Pete

I just looked that tool up and watched a video. That looks like it will work!

Thanks

I'll see if cycle gear store close to me has one and if not I'll order. It's been on the lift for 3 weeks now...what's another week! Lol

Ok so since I'm impatient and kind of handy I made that park tool. After watching a few videos I guessed the length of those slots and made it from steel pipe. The tool would work if the race had a lip to spring into. Unfortunately my race is so worn there isn't a lip at the top where it meets the steering tube frame portion.

I also just saw a video where a bead of weld on the race made the race shrink in the tube and nearly fell out on its own. Maybe that's my next try.

At very least I have a new tool that could work in the future.

Another very slow option is using a dremmel with a cutting disk to cut a couple of slots in the race.  You can cut either a V or an X pattern, trying to get through the race without cutting into the head tube.  After the couple of cuts, sacrifice a chisel (which then becomes a "shitzel") to start tapping into the cuts until the race fractures.

Working from the bottom of the steering head is not going to be fun.

Pete

• Like 1

I am having trouble removing the bottom race in the steering neck. There appears to be 2 notches to pull the race downward. I used a slide hammer with a hook attachment but it pops off since it is only grabbing on one side. I have tried using a heat gun to heat the outside of the neck along with the puller but no luck yet. Does anyone have any thoughts or tricks? Any help would be great.

Anyone local that is a mechanic?

you can use a long drift, just make sure it's flat
  • Like 1

Hi Pete

Thank you for the suggestion. My uncle just left my house. That is exactly what he did. Finally ITS OUT!!!

Thank you to everyone who gave some helpful suggestions. Tomorrow will be reassemble day.

image.jpg