Sign in to follow this  

beginner on Beta 300rr

For the ones wondering if the 300rr is the right for them I would like to share my experience over the past 6 months.

I've been riding street most my life but have wanted to always learn to ride dirt. After many attempts I gave up because I couldn't get the hang of it, so at 38y/o I decides it's now or never. Being 5'9" 220lbs I needed something that could pull me around but still able to touch the ground some what. This led me to the KTM Freeride which led me to the XTrainer, not being able to get one for sometime my dealer suggested a 13 300rr demo he was willing to part with for a good deal.

I bought it in April and commenced learning to ride, my goal was to just make down a reasonable trail with out destroying me and the bike.

This bike is so confidence inspiring I raced my first xc race 2 months ago and won my class this weekend.

The course was sloppy, rutted hills, a real challenge for seasoned riders. I came off the line dead last, watching everyone disappear in the woods I continued my pace that I was comfortable with thinking no big deal I just wanted to finish. Within 10 minutes me and the Beta had passed about 15 riders. There were people and orange bikes laying every where when we got to the muddy hills and single track. I kept on tractering slow and easy up the nasty stuff.

Has my skill improved that much in six months, no? By the end of the race I was sure I had drug the toes out of by boots, I owe it all to this awesome bike. When everyone else was bouncing off the limiters and spinning all over we just idled thru the course and kept on going.

Conclusion, If your an A rider you probably would want something a little harder, race edition maybe. But that is not what this bike is intended to be, it's made to make below average riders ride like a rock star and make s up for lack of talent in spades. One of my goals in life was to learn to be proficient at riding off road and Beta has allowed me to check that off my list. Hands down this is the greatest motorcycle ever built.

• Like 8

Congrats on doing so well in your first race!  Smooth and steady is fast and the same traits that makes your bike good for a beginner do benefit the A rider as well.  These bikes are very easy to ride and go fast on and they don't wear you out in the process. 

• Like 2

I've often told people that the 300 (including the orange ones) are extremely user friendly to riders of all levels.

Good story BTW.

• Like 4

Excellent write up and congrats on your first place finish in your class. I would like to just add that in my opinion, the 300 RR isn't necessarily just for people with limited skills. I'm definitely one of those people right now, but I feel like the bike handles so well and has such a linear and smooth power delivery that one can work on those riding skills, increase ones speed gradually and not ever get to the point where the bike is flat out beating you up. It almost eliminates the need to have a smaller, lighter training bike, short of maybe a dedicated trials bike. Atleast that's the impression I'm getting from mine thus far. It could just be puppy love.

• Like 1