Sign in to follow this  

Flywheel weights

Trying to find a stealhy FWW for my son's 2002 yz250. I know there was a crank change from 2002 to 2003 so 2003+ FWW won't work. What about a 1999-2001 fww? Is there a diff between the 01 crank and flywheel to the 2002? Seems the 2002 part # from stealhy is not carried anywhere?

My 2002 has the stealhy 11oz fww so they must exist somewhere? Or is it possibly an 01 part?

Thanks for any info.

02 is a bastard year. The 01 and older and 03 and newer flywheel weights won't work unless you drill and tap which I wouldn't recommend. Did you contact Steahly directly? Last time I looked they had them. I wouldn't buy one on ebay. I bought a 9 oz for my 02 and the set screws were worn out. In one ride the backed out broke my woodruff key and chewed up the threads on the crank. I got lucky and was able to clean the threads up with a dye replace the woodruff key and it was good to go after a few nervous checks with a torque wrench over the next 4 rides.

• Like 1

Yup. Steahly has them for the 02 specifically. Start looking for a 03+ flywheel and convert the crank to the latest style. Eventually, the odd ball 02 crank will become rare.

I have one for my 02... I'm pretty sure its from MSR but I dont think they offer it anymore. It was purchased about 8 or 9 years ago

Yup. Steahly has them for the 02 specifically. Start looking for a 03+ flywheel and convert the crank to the latest style. Eventually, the odd ball 02 crank will become rare.

How would I go about changing to the 03+ style?  Change the whole crank?

I'd like to get a FWW as well and I've read the GYTR full replacement is best.  

I think it is only for 03+ though, correct?  

How would I go about changing to the 03+ style?  Change the whole crank?

I'd like to get a FWW as well and I've read the GYTR full replacement is best.  

I think it is only for 03+ though, correct?  

Correct on all accounts.

Steahly has made a great name for themselves, I trust them, personally.

Steahly still has em...? Unless I am mistaken.

http://www.steahlyoffroad.com/yamaha-yz-250-2002-flywheel-weight.html

Edited by SellYour4Stroke

I have a Steahly I don't use. Off a 2002 and I believe its 13oz.  It became obsolete when I installed the Hodkins stator which is probably heaver in its flywheel weight effect by a long shot.  I will give it to you for free, just send me a prepaid package and I will pop it into the box.  (did this with another Thumper Talk guy and gave him my complete tranny) pm me at cpick@Hotmail.com for the address

• Like 6

I have a Steahly I don't use. Off a 2002 and I believe its 13oz.  It became obsolete when I installed the Hodkins stator which is probably heaver in its flywheel weight effect by a long shot.  I will give it to you for free, just send me a prepaid package and I will pop it into the box.  (did this with another Thumper Talk guy and gave him my complete tranny) pm me at cpick@Hotmail.com for the address

Sent you an email.  Thanks!!!!

Being that i have a 2002, what all needs to change with a 03+ crank? Just the crank and flywheel? Thank you in advance.