Sign in to follow this  

Power delivery issues

Hi folks I'm just about pulling my hair out with this bike now, my problem is I dont think I'm getting the power delivered correctly, it's either all or nothing and I mean nothing it struggles to go up hills on my local track having to drop down to first then all of a sudden the power kicks in and nearly throws me off the back. I have completely rebuilt the engine, new crank, rod, piston, bearings and fitted a brand new pwk airstriker. The power valve has been stripped and cleaned barrel re-lined and new carbon reeds fitted but still to no avail. Has any one else had this issue?? Any help would be greatly appreciated

What kind of bike are we talking about ? what year, what type of engine, are your clutch plates up to snuff? what displacement? is youre drive train worn out?, ignition system ok? chime in if you have all info.

Hi yeah sorry for that, it's a 98 Cr250 clutch is good and all gaskets and seals were replaced on re-build

Recheck the powervalve for correct operation.  A PC pipe or another brand that is designed for mid-top rpm power will also give you that type of powerband. 

Powervalves can carbon foul, try resetting a 86-91 Honda power valve, lol, make sure theyre nice and clean, as the gentle men stated above you might check your carburetor jet settings, give it a good cleaning also make sure ure float needle is in good shape.  You might consider jetting for your altitude and location, visit a cycle shop if the jetting chart is confusing, they can get set up.

This might be way out there, but I ended up with a bike that had the wrong ignition system on it, which included a much smaller than stock flywheel.  Double check to make sure that the flywheel is correct, as mine acted the same way you describe.  Almost unrideable lightswitch power.

Ok checked carb and all is good, will definitely check the flywheel and ignition, powervalve seems fine but will clean again and reassemble as per manual, will let you guys know how I get on

Ok have checked the powervalve operation as per manual and it is getting stuck in the open position, it's not catching on anything as it's been cleaned twice now in last couple of weeks, have I missed something? Has anyone experienced this issue before?

Fitted a new carb. Have you tried adjusting it?

Carb is fine it's the powervalve sticking open but I'm not sure how

Ok have checked the powervalve operation as per manual and it is getting stuck in the open position, it's not catching on anything as it's been cleaned twice now in last couple of weeks, have I missed something? Has anyone experienced this issue before?

There might be an issue with the pin and the fork at the cylinder base being not engaged properly and holding the valve in an open position.. I think it's a common mistake, and usually causes damage to the fork, which might be why that part is ridiculously expensive for what it is..

Some Honda engineer giggles every time the sell another one!

• Like 1

There might be an issue with the pin and the fork at the cylinder base being not engaged properly and holding the valve in an open position.. I think it's a common mistake, and usually causes damage to the fork, which might be why that part is ridiculously expensive for what it is..

^^This^^   Happened to me one time when I owned an 01 CR250r.   Check the pin & fork action manually with the motor off of course for correct operation.      

Absolutely horrible design. I think all of the good ideas had a patent filled.

Thanks guys I will investigate this today hopefully and let you know how I get on

Get a shop manual, pull the jug. inspect the action of said fork, makes sure its not broken. on my bike I have a hpp locking screw, so u can take the jug off and on. don't know about your rc valve.

Hi yeah I have a shop manual, today I had a play about with it, I didn't pull the jug yet but after some adjustments it appears to be working although not fully opening but this was only tested with the bike on the stand in my garage and by giving it a rev. I will be taking it out on Saturday so fingers crossed I've cracked it. If not the jug will be pulled for a full investigation
  • Like 1