Sign in to follow this  

Have to wait 5-10 minutes after shutdown to restart

This may have been answered but I did a search and looked through the first 10 pages and couldn't find my issue. My 2000 Suzuki DR650SE was sitting for about 5 years. I have cleaned the carb, replaced pilot jet because it was clogged, and backed out the pilot screw from "fully in" lean factory setting to two turns out (Suzuki mechanic said min 2 turns max 3.5). Also NOS gas tank because old one was rusted--it is a stock tank and stock petcock. Bike runs fine, needs a little choke to get going but runs fine. Drove 2 miles to gas station to fill up tank, and it cut out as I approached the pumps.  Then it wouldn't start. Sounded awful, like I blew it up, I think that's just the starter complaining but not sure. After about a 5 minute wait while I thought about ways to get it home, it started up.  Drove back home (5 minute ride), and stopped in my driveway.  Did the same thing, wouldn't start back up until I waited a few minutes.  Where should I look to fix the hard-starting issue?

When you "cleaned" the carb, did you also remove the fuel screw, spring, washer and oring and blow out that passage with cleaner?

Be sure the carb vent lines are clear, no bugs, etc.

If the fuel tank cap isn't venting properly, as the carb uses fuel from it, a vacuum can develop in the tank and overcome head pressure to the carb, starving it and make the bike seem like its running out of fuel. Then after sitting for a while, starts up normally because the vacuum in the tank has bled off by then.

If your petcock is vacuum operated, make sure that connection is good.

• Like 2

Thanks for the replies. I will check all these areas and see if I notice anything.  I did blow out that pilot passage and all the other passages and thought they were all cleaned.  Maybe take the carb apart again if necessary just in case something could have dislodged now that it's running again.

Thanks for the replies. I will check all these areas and see if I notice anything.  I did blow out that pilot passage and all the other passages and thought they were all cleaned.  Maybe take the carb apart again if necessary just in case something could have dislodged now that it's running again.

It's not the carb.

Carbs do not 'fail' over time, then come back.