Sign in to follow this  

WR250R - How low can it go?

Been agonizing over which bike to get my wife to replace her Kawi Super Sherpa(seat height 31.5").  This summer we rode 7000 kms up to Yukon/Alaska and she wants (understandibly) a better bike.  She wants to step up her game as we do ride mostly dirt, get something with more power (highway travel), off road capability with an eye on some long distance adventure travel (South America).  She is 5'2", 125 lbs with 29" inseam.  Finding the right bike for her is a real challenge, a DRZ400 is one option but would prefer something fuel injected.

So my simple question to the forum is how low can we reasonably get the seat height on a wr250r?  I have scanned the forum for answers but have yet to come up with that simple answer.  If it works out that this is indeed the right bike I would then focus on the details of how it gets there later on.

Now if only Yamaha made wr450r for me.....

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Been agonizing over which bike to get my wife to replace her Kawi Super Sherpa(seat height 31.5").  This summer we rode 7000 kms up to Yukon/Alaska and she wants (understandibly) a better bike.  She wants to step up her game as we do ride mostly dirt, get something with more power (highway travel), off road capability with an eye on some long distance adventure travel (South America).  She is 5'2", 125 lbs with 29" inseam.  Finding the right bike for her is a real challenge, a DRZ400 is one option but would prefer something fuel injected.

So my simple question to the forum is how low can we reasonably get the seat height on a wr250r?  I have scanned the forum for answers but have yet to come up with that simple answer.  If it works out that this is indeed the right bike I would then focus on the details of how it gets there later on.

Now if only Yamaha made wr450r for me.....

Thanks in advance

Contact Dan @ Yamalink, he should be able to get that machine a couple of inches lower for you.

Since I posted this I have done more research.  Appears it is possible with spring shims, lowered seat, links etc etc.  Could take some work and cost some dough, aparently all a crf250l needs is lowering links and whe would be good to go.

I recommend contacting Race Tech suspension for all your lowering needs! The wr is an awesome bike. I have owned and lowered several drz 400s. They are an awesome bike as well and are much more suitable for long excursions. The wr is a little winded or under powered at highway speeds but will do the job. My 08. Wr is happy cruising all day at 70mph. The fuel injected bike never fails to start and idle at any altitude or temperature. I have started it on 25 degree mornings at over 7000' ridding in Nevada. She fires right up and purrs like a kitten. I have 25,000 miles on mine. I recently had a full race tech revalve done and the suspension is now amazing. It is actually comparable to my brand new husky fe 501s suspension. Race Tech works miracles! Throttle on!

I saw your comment on the crf 250l. It is a great bike for the price. A good friend of mine has one and we have swapped out on rides a few time. I will say honestly the Wr is twice the bike! The Honda is shaky at highway speeds and flounders off road in comparison to the Yamaha. The crf is a great grocery getter or around town bike but lacks real world handling characteristics. I can say this having owned several of each plated xr 400r, 600r, 650r, as well as a 02 650l and a few Drz 400s models. The crf is a toy in comparison. Don't overlook the drz Suzuki. They are great bikes super reliable stable at speed. They have more hop up potential and much better suspension stock than a we 250r. The first 60 mph speed wobble or high center your wife experiences on a crf 250l she may never want to get on a bike again! This bike looks good under a Christmas tree but lacks everything else in the real world of ridding

Ummm Wow, This is tough, alot of great suggestions sometimes conflicting.  On Horizons Unlimited a couple responded to me, they were both travelling on crf250l's around the world, were singing their praises, 75000 kms and counting and no real issues.  I wonder if the DRZ would be suitable for me at 6'2" also or would I feel undergunned.  I was at a local moto shop and threw my leg over bunch of bikes today, DRZ, DR650, WR250, CRF250L, and KTM 690.  KTM sure is sweet but sure spendy....I think I have now over thought this and made it too complicated, shoot.

• Like 1

Ummm Wow, This is tough, alot of great suggestions sometimes conflicting.  On Horizons Unlimited a couple responded to me, they were both travelling on crf250l's around the world, were singing their praises, 75000 kms and counting and no real issues.  I wonder if the DRZ would be suitable for me at 6'2" also or would I feel undergunned.  I was at a local moto shop and threw my leg over bunch of bikes today, DRZ, DR650, WR250, CRF250L, and KTM 690.  KTM sure is sweet but sure spendy....I think I have now over thought this and made it too complicated, shoot.

It is possible that too much thought has been considered, I recommend you go get your favorite craft brew/micro brew, relax and drink a few of them, the answer should come then :-)

That sounds great it's beer 30! A DRZ 400 will not disappoint you. They have lots of hop up potential and are great for tall riders! I know a woman that has put over 40,000 miles on hers! She is fast too! My cousin has a KTM 690 they are a real beast super fun to ride a true dual sport bike especially if you see a lot of highway time. Aftermarket gas tank options are expensive for the 690 and they have a very limited range stock. If you see a lot of highway miles or aggressive off road you will love it at any price find a good deal on a low mile used one. They feel very light nimble however they don't turn as quickly as let's say at KTM or husky 500. Crf250l is a great bike for the price if you have a relaxed pace don't expect to see too much freeway or aggressive off-road time you could ride one to the end of the earth. I have a good friend who owns one he loves it!

• Like 1