Sign in to follow this  

Crf450r or yz450f for enduro bike

I'm looking at 13-14 crf's and 14-15 yz's

Which one would make the better choice for an east coast enduro bike? The cr seems a little smaller which is a good thing motor supposed to be tamer, but not as easy to tune, yz has kyb hard to beat that, yz has gytr tuner which should be a plus, crf top end parts seem cheaper to replace, but yamaha supposed to b a more reliable engine?

That's the opinions I've gathered so far other than that haven't rode either bike. Really want east of the Mississippi opinions, I've rode out west it's a whole different world, so east coast tight woods enduro and harescrambles what would u pick and why?

Edited by barbwire44

If weight matters to you than the CRF is the easy choice.  The CRF is a lot lighter & will turn on a dime in comparison to the bigger heavier feeling YZF that doesn't turn well.  You can always tune the motor to what type of riding you do vs. trying to make a bike lighter (will cost $) & turn well.  

I'm ranking that want order like this, 1st handling, suspension 2nd, 3rd weight, 4th reliability, and everything else after that is pretty similar.

Any bike can become in reliable if not maintained, if the Honda is cheaper to rebuild and buy parts that's a plus.

Both bikes arnt enduro specific, so suspension work will be needed on both.

What ever bike you feel most comfortable with ergo' sand your wallet, go with it.

I would doubt that the YZ is at all more reliable than the Honda.. If you are woods riding, there will never be a time or place where you would ever see a rev limiter, so the bike with the easier low end power to ride is the choice to make.. With clean oil and low rpm usage, the motor will last forever.. I have a 13 CRF and think it would make a very good base to build a woods bike from.. And BTW, the Honda also has KYB suspension

• Like 2

both need suspension work

skid plate,

i like scotts dampners, i think the honda needs one offroad im not a fan of the hpsd

i like  a heavy flywheel on mx bikes offroad

the Honda could probably use a remap for offroad Yamaha i can't say

the honda needs radiator bracing, yamaha i can't say.

the honda chain guide is kind of flimsy, a tm design works is nice and nearly indestructible, yam idk....

the stock fuel tank is really really small on the honda,

my oversized tank is only 2.7 gallons.(09)

see what you can get for the yam and the new hondas

the honda is light and turns well,

with a flywheel and a remap, the power is great offroad, the throttle response is great, but controllable with a heavy flywheel

a huge factor is do you want the sharp steering angle of the honda or the lax one of the yamaha.

I went with a 13 crf450, a guy up the road had one and he had already pulled the air forks off and replaced with springs. It just felt lighter and milder mannered than the yamaha, I think as stated above it will be an easier bike to build for off road racing. Ordered all the guards and armor I am gonna hold off on the big expense purchases until I get some seat time on it, wanna make sure its going to work before I go full on into the build.thing has a crazy expensive yoshimura duually exhaust system on it I may have to put that in the classifieds and purchase something quieter for enduro racing. Is there any big performance loss in removing the yosh duals and putting on an fmf Q ? and I guess I should ask will the yosh headpipe work with an fmf Q silencer?

thanks

I am in the middle of setting up a 13 crf450 for off-road. My bike still has the air forks but have been reworked by race tech and they work wonderful. Everything else on the bike is stock and it works really well. Flame outs are pretty common though which I suspect can be helped with a FWW. Also went to a 50t rear sprocket. Clutch pull is another issue and I started by yanking the judder spring and that helped but it is still a bastard. Next step is Hinson plates and springs. Other than that it works really well. Oh yeah and I went with the Acerbis 2.7 gal tank because I couldn't get through a 2 hour race with the stock one.

Also when you're ready to sell the yosh exhaust let me know I would be interested

Edited by memphis2857

I have had both and used them exactly for what you want and it's simple 

POWER- YZF

SUSPENSION- YZF

RELIABILITY-YZF

HANDLING- CRF

CORNERING-CRF

The power on the crf is very mellow so you might get bored with it where the yzf is a lot harder hitting and better mid range which keeps it all the more exciting.

I would probable ditch both these models and try to get yourself a 2008 or 2007 crf 450 these where an amazing model and will outperform either one of these heavy pigs(10 lbs)

Throttleviolence two of my riding buddies have 08's and they do like them really well, one of them has rode the 13 and said he liked it better, said it felt lighter than his 08 and said the re-starting after a crash was enough to make him want the 13 model over his 08.

memphis I think you are right on with the 50 tooth sprocket, mine has a 48 now and after one trip I thought first gear was a bit too high. And I think the suspension will be fine, I love kyb suspension and this bike has a kyb shock on the rear so Im gonna guess it can be just as good as the yzf in the rear and it has 2011 crf250r showa forks on the front which are a copy of the kayaba SSS so they should be very close to the same performance after they're worked.

power for sure yzf, but I think the YZF is too much for a long tight enduro.

• Like 3

Throttleviolence two of my riding buddies have 08's and they do like them really well, one of them has rode the 13 and said he liked it better, said it felt lighter than his 08 and said the re-starting after a crash was enough to make him want the 13 model over his 08.

I would have to agree... Even as awesome as the 08 is, with so much low end power, it is almost too bullish for a smooth woods bike. It constantly reminds you to be extremely diligent with the throttle. That being said, I never set up anything but for moto, and think some FWW would help to slow the crank to a much more tractable delivery.

The fuel injection on the 13, even as precise and instant that it is, seems to have a feeling like the chain is made of elastic band, and cushions the delivery to the tire so it doesn't spin with the smallest throttle input.

Any idea on how many miles in tight woods I can get out of the stock tank? Eventually I will go to a big tank just gonna set the bike up with the minimum mods first to make sure i like it.

thanks

Neither is a good choice...

THIS !

i have raced harescrambles and some enduro in A class on crf450's.. and a yzf450 would not be anything but a blue bike instead of red. I kicked and screamed while catching the 'orange' bug, but no lie.. my 2014 350xcf is the best bike i have EVER RODE. As in, ever ever.. (after getting Kreft moto to fix the horrible 4cs forks). No f-ing way is a 450 (even an orange one for that matter) a good East Coast enduro weapon. NO way.

I still ride my 08 crf450r as a "training tool" , it requires way more work to ride fast than the 350 (but is still fun) .. so the 350 is that much more a joy to race when the weekend arrives.

Edited by MELK-MAN

melk man I will have a response for you after sunday,gonna run an enduro with it.  I went ahead and ordered an acerbis tank so the gas will not be an issue. the only thing the bike will be lacking before the enduro is a revalve on the suspension, but I can survive one race on moto suspension Ill just back the clickers off and slow the rebound.

THIS !

i have raced harescrambles and some enduro in A class on crf450's.. and a yzf450 would not be anything but a blue bike instead of red. I kicked and screamed while catching the 'orange' bug, but no lie.. my 2014 350xcf is the best bike i have EVER RODE. As in, ever ever.. (after getting Kreft moto to fix the horrible 4cs forks). No f-ing way is a 450 (even an orange one for that matter) a good East Coast enduro weapon. NO way.

I still ride my 08 crf450r as a "training tool" , it requires way more work to ride fast than the 350 (but is still fun) .. so the 350 is that much more a joy to race when the weekend arrives.

Worst bike i ever rode was a 350 way to gutless always clutching it to get it hopping comparing a ktm 350 to a 08 crf 450 legend is total nonsense especially woods riding it the 08 crf out corners the ktm 350 trumps it on power and i think it;s weight of 99.1kg is lighter, i wouldnt recommend a ktm 350 to anybody, here in australia we cant get ride of them no resale no interest the market was flooded with them at one stage.

Any idea on how many miles in tight woods I can get out of the stock tank? Eventually I will go to a big tank just gonna set the bike up with the minimum mods first to make sure i like it.

thanks

in a 2 hour race on I used 1.9 gal. Based on course length this was 36 miles. Stock tank is 1.6 but you will not suck it completely dry before the bike dies. So realistically in a race environment you will get about 25-30 miles out of the stock tank. In a trail environment you may get 35 or so. The 2.7 acerbis tank is really nice and can be bought on rmatv for around $200

I would doubt that the YZ is at all more reliable than the Honda.. If you are woods riding, there will never be a time or place where you would ever see a rev limiter, so the bike with the easier low end power to ride is the choice to make.. With clean oil and low rpm usage, the motor will last forever.. I have a 13 CRF and think it would make a very good base to build a woods bike from.. And BTW, the Honda also has KYB suspension

Spot on low rpm woods riding both my 07 and 08 crfs and yzs have done well over 200hrs

• Like 1

melk man I will have a response for you after sunday,gonna run an enduro with it.  I went ahead and ordered an acerbis tank so the gas will not be an issue. the only thing the bike will be lacking before the enduro is a revalve on the suspension, but I can survive one race on moto suspension Ill just back the clickers off and slow the rebound.

i run the Acerbis tank too.. And best of luck at the enduro. Offroad racing is a ton of fun.. you gotta keep in mind that just backing clickers off is not even close to the same thing as different valving, more flow main pistons and mid valves, and WAY lover oil levels.. (like, i run 350ml for offroad vs. 440 stock oil amount). It will be better, but no even close to a true offroad suspension revalve. I would back the shock high speed (large nut on top) ALL the way out.