Sign in to follow this  

Baja 230f ride report

This is third time,I decided to run the 230f on long overnight ride.This time I wanted to see if,it would pull 15/48 gearing.Also tall trails tire 400/18 MT43.We decided to go Explore,other abandon routes to El Rosario.Other bikes WR450s.They had big tanks 3.5 gal my bike 2.9 I carried 1gal fuel extra.They carried 2 gal extra fuel.Only 30 miles into ride,We got to a freinds Ranch. They already used 1 gal gas,So with water cooled bikes only getting 28/32mpg.I asked her if we could bum/buy 2 gal gas.She gave it to us.The moded 230,again was easily at 50mpg.So no need to bum gas.Very surprising the tall gearing,it pulled like nothing. Here is what I found out in Baja Advantage of modded 230f,and disadvantages.Verse  water cooled 450s.Overall way more easy to ride Baja 230f.For the 450s to carry so much extra gas,very hard to ride them(they still had to bum gas)as we went 145miles.Hard miles,we got pretty beat up,but thats normal.Another advantage of small bike even with over all taller gearing then the 450s.Is on hard single track.Or the abandon road we found down mountain.Was washed away,nothing but boulders,wash outs.The small bike easy to ride,to the point waiting 30min for big bikes.When we could find a dirt road.No problem to ride with the 450s.Even on beach deep sand for miles,it stays on top of sand.No need to run wide open to stress engine.The disadvantages of Baja 230f,are only.Could never win drag race,with a 450,but at the end of the day.We had to run the Baja 1000 backwards.There was alot of pre running,days before.That tore up route real bad,rocks,deep ruts,talco powder.The the winner was who did not get up so bad.Here is some pictures,of the two biejitos (old guys on ride) Dont let the pictures fool you these guys are in shape.EnjoyPTDC0248.JPGPTDC0253.JPGTDC0248.JPG]PTDC0249.JPG

PTDC0251.JPG

• Like 2

The 450s I ride with,hate me riding the 230f.Because the min I see,hard side trail.I take off to it.They say here we go again.Funny thing is when I was young,I could do any of the hard trails on.My Rickman 820 Triumph,What was I thinking.It is also funny that the 230f,For me stock is  the worst Handling Honda I have owned.With Mods one of the best,for where I ride.I think someday,I would like to biuld (With T Rs help) 5mm stroker,ported head engine.For this project,I Rob engine out of my small wheel 230f.Make it 270cc,Then put my 240 engine,in small wheel.

• Like 1