Sign in to follow this  

Coast enrichner and jetting questions on a new BB build

Hi guys,

I have a 2000 K model that was a track bike at one time. It was smoking horribly when purchased but seem to run decent. Anyway, the radiators were beat and leaking so I fixed those, just got in a CW BB kit and MCCT. The bike has on older full Yosh system on it and upon tearing the carb apart today I noticed the CE hose falling apart and the jetting was 65 pilot and 170 main. So looking for jetting specs, thoughts on removing the CE and best method as well as what needle to use, how to tell the difference in the needles and what extended air screw to use. Keep in mind it has the old FCR on it. The PO did install allen head screws and possibly changed the needle. I have not opened up the top yet.

Thank you,

Steven

65 pilot and 170 main is probably horribly rich.  45 and 160 would be more common.  You will have to post all the jets sizes and needle before recommendations can be made as a 16 year old carb may not be original in any respect.  Needles are marked with 3 or 5 letters.  3 (or the last 3) are codes for the needle size.  First 2 letter of 5 are the needle material Copper alloy or aluminum.  Connect the 2 side nipples with a hose to delete the CE but that only works if the air jets are original.

By K model I assume you mean Kick start only.  "K" model does not exist in Suzuki designations.  "K" when used is a year code.  A 2000 Suzuki kick start DRZ is a "DR-Z400Y" (Y being the year code for 2000)

• Like 1

65 pilot and 170 main is probably horribly rich.  45 and 160 would be more common.  You will have to post all the jets sizes and needle before recommendations can be made as a 16 year old carb may not be original in any respect.  Needles are marked with 3 or 5 letters.  3 (or the last 3) are codes for the needle size.  First 2 letter of 5 are the needle material Copper alloy or aluminum.  Connect the 2 side nipples with a hose to delete the CE but that only works if the air jets are original.

By K model I assume you mean Kick start only.  "K" model does not exist in Suzuki designations.  "K" when used is a year code.  A 2000 Suzuki kick start DRZ is a "DR-Z400Y" (Y being the year code for 2000)

Yes, it is a 2000 kickstart. The original owner also had holes drilled in the sidecover for the airbox.  The needle issue was killing me, I just ran back out to shop and checked. Looks like the needle says OBDXP, the clip is in the 3rd slot from the bottom and the CE jet is a 90 which I think is stock?

Thanks again,

Steven

Edited by mannurse727

OBDXP is the stock needle. count notches from the top. So it is on notch 5 which is a common position for the stock needle. EMN -3 is a popular replacement for that carb.

Your 65 jet is the starter jet not the pilot jet.

Yes there is a 90 air jet in the nipple, stock.  There in also a pilot air jet in the air intake of the carb next to the main air jet.  60 is stock for that pilot air. 200 is stock for the main air.  Assuming the 60 is still in place (it probably is if the CE was still intact) just run a hose between the 2 nipple on the out side of the carb to delete the CE.

So your suggesting I start with 45 starter jet, 160 main jet, all other leave stock which I just verified as well as do the CE bypass with a short hose and change to the EMN needle in 3rd position form top or bottom. Lastly, do you have a recommendation on an extended air screw for this carb? Six jets....wow!

Thank you!

Edited by mannurse727

No.  Pilot jet, starter jet.  2 different things.  Starter jet is only in play when the "choke" knob is pulled.  No reason to ever replace the starter jet as long as it is not damaged or plugged up.  You want to start with a 45 pilot fuel jet and 160 main jet.  I would start with the OBDXP needle clip where it is  -5. Clip positions are always counted from the top.  If not happy with DXP then try the EMN-3.

I have no recommendation for an extended mixture screw.  (it is a fuel screw not an air screw)

Thank you for the education Noble, coming from two strokes its an air screw and they have no starter jet air jet, etc... lol. I did read up on the differences and why the 4 strokes have fuel instead of air

screws. Surprising what enlarging the oem parts finder will do for ones education as well. So jets are getting ordered, the beast had a 40 pilot in it by the way. It ran, maybe having the side panel over theairbox drilled out as well caused the need for the 170 main???

Thank you again for your assistance and the education!

Steven

Actually your 2 stroke carb probably had all the same jets as the FCR including a starter jet.  They were just not replaceable.  You did not know they were there but they were. Some carbs have air mix screws some have fuel mix screws, some have both.  The general assumption (but not always valid) is if the mix screw is close the the air intake it is an air screw. if it is close to the motor it is a fuel screw.