Sign in to follow this  

KTM SX250 height question.

I know there is quite a few threads about the seat heights on differant bikes however I can't find the answer I need.

I've just bought my first bike- KTM SX 250 2004. I'm 5'10 and weigh around 12 stone. I went out on it yesterday and whilst I can touch the floor with the ball of 1 foot I have to be on my tip toes to have both feet on the floor.

Ideally I want both feet to be firm on the ground and I have seen the threads about lowering the seat etc but should I need to on that bike or could the suspension be setup for a tall rider? If so (remember I'm a newbie) what can I do to lower it to a standard setting or is it I'm just classed as a short ass in the mx world?

Thanks

• Like 1

Im 5'7" and I cant even touch both of my toes to ground at the same time, not really a big deal. Just deal with it?

Im 5'7" and I cant even touch both of my toes to ground at the same time, not really a big deal. Just deal with it?

I wasn't asking if I should deal with it or not, I was asking if the bike could be setup for a taller rider.

Anyway thanks for your input.

Anything you do to the suspension to lower the bike will affect the handling in a serious way. You could shave the seat foam down an inch or two and see if that helps out.

Anything you do to the suspension to lower the bike will affect the handling in a serious way. You could shave the seat foam down an inch or two and see if that helps out.

Tbh I'm not wanting to change anything on the bike unless there was a possibility that someone could of set the bike higher before I had it and in that case I would of wanted to return it to the standard height.

It's not an issue as I can have 1 foot planted firmly on the floor.

No, I highly doubt the seat height has been altered

Sound I'll leave it at then. Cheers

Tbh I'm not wanting to change anything on the bike unless there was a possibility that someone could of set the bike higher before I had it and in that case I would of wanted to return it to the standard height.

It's not an issue as I can have 1 foot planted firmly on the floor.

Sound I'll leave it at then. Cheers

when giving you my height and difficulty touching the ground I was doing it so you could compare to your situation so see that it sounds about right.

when giving you my height and difficulty touching the ground I was doing it so you could compare to your situation so see that it sounds about right.

In that case I apologise for my response.

Look into a lower cut seat or a step seat. Powerparts has a couple of options. Sounds like you only need an inch or so to touch down

ImageUploadedByThumper Talk1446465989.125129.jpg

• Like 1

I know there is quite a few threads about the seat heights on differant bikes however I can't find the answer I need.

I've just bought my first bike- KTM SX 250 2004. I'm 5'10 and weigh around 12 stone. I went out on it yesterday and whilst I can touch the floor with the ball of 1 foot I have to be on my tip toes to have both feet on the floor.

Ideally I want both feet to be firm on the ground and I have seen the threads about lowering the seat etc but should I need to on that bike or could the suspension be setup for a tall rider? If so (remember I'm a newbie) what can I do to lower it to a standard setting or is it I'm just classed as a short ass in the mx world?

Thanks

Check the ride height: your bike should be set with at least 110 mm of rear shock sag between unweighted on the stand and rider with full gear.

http://www.factoryconnection.com/sag/

• Like 1

At 36.4/925 your 2004 seat height is already close to 2" lower than newer models from the factory. The stock rear spring is not the right spring for a rider your weight and you'll most likely not be able to successfully set your sag limits accurately with that spring (the collar will have zero pre-load & still not meet sag specs). I'm the exact same height/weight as you & I recently solved this problem with a lighter spring, proper sag setting as mentioned above, and I also replaced my factory seat with a SeatConcepts "complete" LOW model. The "complete" seats have a different base than the factory and are bolt-on ready. I'd highly recommend addressing your forks to match the new spring characteristics at the same time to avoid an unbalanced suspension system (your forks will need re-valving to reach the new limits you'll need for proper adjustment). If you address these issues you'll be riding a whole new machine...and be flat footed while stopped. OR...put a 3 stone sack of concrete in your pack & you'll be good to go  :smirk:

At 36.4/925 your 2004 seat height is already close to 2" lower than newer models from the factory. The stock rear spring is not the right spring for a rider your weight and you'll most likely not be able to successfully set your sag limits accurately with that spring (the collar will have zero pre-load & still not meet sag specs). I'm the exact same height/weight as you & I recently solved this problem with a lighter spring, proper sag setting as mentioned above, and I also replaced my factory seat with a SeatConcepts "complete" LOW model. The "complete" seats have a different base than the factory and are bolt-on ready. I'd highly recommend addressing your forks to match the new spring characteristics at the same time to avoid an unbalanced suspension system (your forks will need re-valving to reach the new limits you'll need for proper adjustment). If you address these issues you'll be riding a whole new machine...and be flat footed while stopped. OR...put a 3 stone sack of concrete in your pack & you'll be good to go :smirk:

Thanks for this. I'll call a local shop to see if they can help me out.

• Like 1