Sign in to follow this  

Rekluse install, 1st attempt

Decided to try this myself. Tried to get the initial 1/8" movement at the clutch lever(twice), not happening, no movement. I'm thinking the main nut that holds everything in place is over torqued. Anyway, as long as I'm in there, I think I'm  going to replace the basket because it is notched. I hear the OEM is a weak point, so, steel(Hinson), or the billet Rekluse one?

barnett clutch basket!!!

mine lasted 5 hard years before it finally got minor notching in the SS tabs on the fingers. emailed them and they said its covered under their lifetime warranty so I sent it to them, they replaced them all for free, and didnt even charge shipping back to canada which was around 30$ and I was more than happy to pay.. nope.  20$ to ship it to them, and they did the rest. very quick too. very impressed with barnett.

you cant go wrong with service and quality like that. 

i assume you have the exp core 3.0 (had the center hub nut off) . the Rekluse parts are superior quality. i wouldn't hesitate to run their basket. No way should you bother with an OEM basket. Most honda OEM parts are awesome, the basket sadly isn't.

I don't think over torque of the center hub nut is an issue. It' requires a LOT to begin with. Did you READ the instructions on setting the center adjusting nut on the pressure plate? with the 2 small allen head screws lose, you turn the center hub adjuster 1 turn PLUS 2 marks. You must have plenty of cable free play when you do this though.. that will get you in the ballpark ..

i assume you have the exp core 3.0 (had the center hub nut off) . the Rekluse parts are superior quality. i wouldn't hesitate to run their basket. No way should you bother with an OEM basket. Most honda OEM parts are awesome, the basket sadly isn't.

I don't think over torque of the center hub nut is an issue. It' requires a LOT to begin with. Did you READ the instructions on setting the center adjusting nut on the pressure plate? with the 2 small allen head screws lose, you turn the center hub adjuster 1 turn PLUS 2 marks. You must have plenty of cable free play when you do this though.. that will get you in the ballpark ..

Yes, it's the exp core 3.0.I ordered the Rekluse basket. Yes, I did exactly as the instructions say. I went back in and double checked the seating procedure, this time 1 full turn plus 1 tick mark, same result. Just for the hell of it, I did put it in gear, let out the clutch, and it stayed there like it should. Gave a little gas, and it started to move, so I think I should be close. I'm going to call them and ask how much I can back off the adjuster.Thanks for your time.

Yes, it's the exp core 3.0.I ordered the Rekluse basket. Yes, I did exactly as the instructions say. I went back in and double checked the seating procedure, this time 1 full turn plus 1 tick mark, same result. Just for the hell of it, I did put it in gear, let out the clutch, and it stayed there like it should. Gave a little gas, and it started to move, so I think I should be close. I'm going to call them and ask how much I can back off the adjuster.Thanks for your time.

are you pulling on the lever a bit when you check free gain ? rev bike in neutral with some pull on the lever. you will feel it come back as the rpm goes up, then as rpm comes down (with you finger still giving some pressure), the lever will move back out. Need to watch this vid. at 3:50 they show how to check gain.

Edited by MELK-MAN

are you pulling on the lever a bit when you check free gain ? rev bike in neutral with some pull on the lever. you will feel it come back as the rpm goes up, then as rpm comes down (with you finger still giving some pressure), the lever will move back out. Need to watch this vid. at 3:50 they show how to check gain.

Yep, watched that 5 times before install. Used the rubber band.

Make sure to have plenty of slacking in the clutch cable too when setting install gap...

As a matter of fact, when I called  Rekluse, spoke with Charles, he told me I may have over done it with the slack, and the cam spun around the actuator. Not sure about what the hell that is, but I'll find out. Also miss read 40 in. pounds/ foot pounds, cranking down the locking screws on adjuster. Anyway, as far as costumer service goes, as well as a quality product, this is a great company. He's sending me new adjuster, lock screws, locking tab for bolt, free of charge. I found out I'm a better finish carpenter than mechanic. OMFW. Thanks for the responses.