Sign in to follow this  

Looking for first 2 stroke bike

Hello, I currently riding a 2003 TRX400EX sport quad and while the power is nice, I was looking into getting a bike. I really want to get a 2 stroke because I hear the 4 strokes are maintenance nightmares. Yes, I do know the trail bikes that are 4 strokes are bullet proof but I want to see what 2 strokes are like. My question is, should I get a 125 or 250 2 stroke? I'm worried the 125 won't have enough power for me but at the same time I'm worried the 250 2 stroke will be to much power. I'm 5'9 and weigh 150 without riding gear. I'm using my friend's account on this site and would like other people's opinions on what bike to get.

Hello, I currently riding a 2003 TRX400EX sport quad and while the power is nice, I was looking into getting a bike. I really want to get a 2 stroke because I hear the 4 strokes are maintenance nightmares. Yes, I do know the trail bikes that are 4 strokes are bullet proof but I want to see what 2 strokes are like. My question is, should I get a 125 or 250 2 stroke? I'm worried the 125 won't have enough power for me but at the same time I'm worried the 250 2 stroke will be to much power. I'm 5'9 and weigh 150 without riding gear. I'm using my friend's account on this site and would like other people's opinions on what bike to get.

You need to ride both....there is no replacement for just hopping on and riding

Btw, congrats on coming to the two-wheeled world

Dependent on age :thumbsup: .

OP. How old are ya mate?

power delivery will be about the same but the 250 will just have more power. Ive grown up riding 2 stroke quads so i was used to that but I've ridden a 400ex couple time (they are fun) and i had a ttr125 (4t) for a couple years and stopped riding for 3 years then got back into two wheels on a 01 cr250r. i respected the bike and took my time to learn it and had a lot of fun. And being a maintenance nightmare isn't exactly accurate. Depending on the year some bikes are better than others, but if you regularly change oil and clean air filter bike should last a while before needing valves or rebuild. i own both a crf450r and an 01 cr250r and both require about the same amount of maintenance just an extra oil filter on the 4t thats easy to change. 

I'm 20 years old by the way. My TRX400 isn't stock and the power is there but it doesn't scare me.

Assumed you were younger. 250 will be OK. 125 will be more fun and make you a better rider though  :thumbsup: .

You into throttle control or thrashing the guts out of shit?

• Like 1

Assumed you were younger. 250 will be OK. 125 will be more fun and make you a better rider though :thumbsup: .

You into throttle control or thrashing the guts out of shit?

A little bit of both haha I just don't want to have to pin the crap out of it every second just to get going

226 hrs on my 250f, hasn't cost much to maintain yet. But used 2ts are safer, and imo a 250 smoker is a great bike :thumbsup:. 125s never had enough bottom end for me. Good luck with whatever you buy :thumbsup:

Edited by dfurr2fiddy

226 hrs on my 250f, hasn't cost much to maintain yet. But used 2ts are safer, and imo a 250 smoker is a great bike :thumbsup:. 125s never had enough bottom end for me. Good luck with whatever you buy :thumbsup:

Bottom end is way overrated. All the real fun to be had is at the top. It's logic.

• Like 3

Also depends what your usage will be : trails/off-road or MX tracks ?

-trails/off-road, go with the 250

-a mixture of both trail and MX but mostly trails, again the 250

-MX track use only, start with a 125

learn how to ride faster with momentum rather than compensating piloting errors with the extra power

Edited by mlatour