Sign in to follow this  

Highway gearing Autoclutch WR250r

Hello, I was wondering, because my WR is reving its balls out on the highway, if I could get away with taller gearing but also installing an Autoclutch so I could still do technical close quarters riding without stalling the bike (do to tall ass gearing)

I want to be able to do long distance rides but also close quarters tight stuff but I wanna keep my WR <3

Would an Autoclutch help a high geared bike still be a woods bike?

You didn't mention what the current gearing is.  I wouldn't advise gearing any taller than stock 13/43 sprockets unless you're sure you'll only be riding flat highways.  Factory gearing is already notoriously under-powered for pulling uphill grades in 6th gear.  I'm 210 lbs without gear and initially had problems with mine until I geared the bike down.

As far as I know there's no off-the-shelf auto clutch manufactured for this bike.  Common consensus it that an auto clutch requires some of a bike's horsepower to operate and the little 250 cc WRR motor doesn't have HP to spare for this.

You're going to have to pick your proverbial poison.  You can't have tall gears for increased top end highway speed and low gears for technical close quarters riding at the same time.  I chose 13/51 gears for a great trail riding experience, which dropped my top end speed from 75 MPH to 65 MPH.  But now I don't have problems with low power in 6th gear pulling uphill anymore.

What's your idea of "reving its balls out on the highway"?  This bike has a 10,000 RPM motor.  Stock gearing and tires should get you around 80 MPH at 8500 RPM.

I currently have a 46tooth and stock front sprocket, it's not bad off-road currently it's just, it'll hold its own at 45-50 mph all day long but anything after that, is very noticeable, I don't wanna change bikes but I've heard theirs a Autoclutch from EFM (but it maybe a custom order thing, they've made auto clutches for WRRs before), I wanna get to new places basically Via the highways

But for me it seems like I just wanna get off the closest exit as soon as I'm on the highway with my WRR, that's why I was wondering if taller gear but with an Auto clutch could make this bike doable in both worlds(still keep her hill climbing to)

Edited by Orange Owl

I have been running a 13/40 combo on my 08 since it was new. Sometimes I slap on a 41 if I am planning a long ride through the mountains. I have 25,000 miles on mine. These bikes love being revved its the only way to get them moving. I felt the same way about my stock gearing . Way to low. I do plenty of of road and cross country riding. My recommendation is you carry a 12 tooth on board and a 27 mm wrench so you can swap out if you feel the need.

1447472304439.jpg

• Like 1